Getting water in

Options
Hi,

Any suggestions on how to get my water in without actually thinking about it? I don't like water, but at
night I force myself to drink at least 2 giant cups so it probably equals to about 3 bottles. Have trouble
getting any in during the day. I just don't like it! Any suggestions please?

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    carry a water bottle around with you in the daytime
  • 1reneeski
    1reneeski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I will try that tomorrow and hope it works. Can I put an apple slice in it for flavor?
    Someone told me once that the extra flavor gets in the way of digestion, but it might be better than
    not having any at all. Thanks again!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be plain water. Herbal teas, lemon tasting water, water with a little juice in it, sparkling water - any taste you add that doesn't contain or is very low on sugar is fine. I have a problem with water retention that just drinking water doesn't solve, so I drink a lot of tea, and it does what it is supposed to: cleansing the body, carrying out salts and waste. Oh, and avoid diet sodas if you can - those thing trick the body to believe you are drinking sugar, and messes up your metabolism, if you are one of the unlucky ones.

Also, remember that you get water by eating soup, fresh vegetables like cucumber, crisp salad and tomatoes, fruits like oranges and apples. The only reason to get your water qouta by drinking water is that plain water doesn't add calories, and it doesn't do anything else to your body but hydrate it.

And if you really doubt that, read up on how the soda companies are pushing the need for drinking a certain amount of water every day, in order to sell bottled water. The advice from doctors is to drink when you are thirsty. In a weight-loss context though: Remember that sometimes you'll probably EAT because you are thirsty, so remember to drink for thirst, eat for hunger.

Good luck.

PS: Because I had started thinking on it and I don't want to start doing serious work: here's a decent article by BBC with references to research and a critical eye to the funding of it - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24464774
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Start the day by drinking 10-20 oz of water.
    Have a 20 oz bottle with you and drink out of it during the day refill it once.
    Drink a cup at night.

Learn to like water because it's vital.
    Considering 70% of your food is water there is no real reason to go to silly extremes. You do not have to force water down you. Your body has a really easy way to tell if you need some liquid it's called thirst. All these drink silly amounts of water ideas have no actual basis in science or nutrition.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Drink 1-2 cups while preparing food in the kitchen and with each meal. Every little bit helps!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was a fizzy pop addict so switching to water for me was really hard, I started by drinking squash and flavoured water and then adding citrus fruit to my water, now I am so used to regular water that I consider anything additional wasted calories.

I would add that when you are thirsty that is your body already saying it's dehydrated so if you are exercising then you need to be conscious to drink water routinely.

Try small changes, also everyone is right tea, coffee, vegetables/fruit all count as well. Try drinking a glass with every meal, that way it becomes habit.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    have a cup by your bed and drink it when you wake up
    have a cup/bottle on your desk: drink>piss>refil ( if it helps put it on the opposite side of your keyboard to your mouse, then you reach for the mouse also reach for the bottle and take a sip - also take a swig then an app is loading )
    have a cup when you get in (every time you get home)
    have a cup with every meal
    have a bottle with you when you exercise - sip between reps
    have a cup before you go to bed (but not too much else you'll need to get up in the night)

it'll soon add up - flaovur it or fizz it if you need to change it up (i use 1/4tsp of angostura bitters in 1pt of water)
    good luck
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally drink off and on all day long... I have always been a water drinker... was never into sodas or fruit drinks...

If i had to make a suggestion.. and that is just do it... you don't have to like something... if it benefits you in the long run...

I don't like doing dishes or cleaning the laundry but the benefits my wife gives me out weigh the benefits of not doing it.....^^.