Conquering the Gym!

Options
Finally decided enough is enough with my body and how i feel about it so i have made a pact with my best friend that in 10 weeks (my birthday in 10 weeks) i am going to give this 110% for my health and general happiness.
I am currently 12 stone, 168lb
I am starting the gym tomorrow and just wanted some general tips really....
I know abs and weight loss is done in the kitchen but i just wanted some gym tips to help me towards my end vision rather then me just go at it blind thinking im doing good but really arent. I dont want to be thin, i am currently a UK 12/14 and nicely curvy but have a belly. i love the muscly girls that are suddenly getting the exposure they deserve. i want to lift weights, heavy weights.
So question is do i need to hit the cardio first in a big way to shift the weight or start straight on with weights and a bit of cardio. ( i arent a massive fan of cardio to be honest but will do what is required) And if so any tips on what i should be doing....
Thank you so much in advance for any tip big or small to help me on my way

kimmy x

Replies

• gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    Focus on the lifts and doing them with proper form and get used to the feeling thei give you
    If you are new it's gonna be a pleasure to feel your body
    if there are any classes of circuit training i prefer it to cardio and you have some people in to motivate you
    to lift heavvy you have to start light with proper form so when you add weight to the bar you don't have to think
    the feeling that weight give to your body is fantastic
    good journey !
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a weight lifting program to follow, some may have cardio in them, some not. You don't have to do cardio or even workout to lose weight.

Lift, eat at a sensible deficit and you will see results.
  • lottewiegeraad
    lottewiegeraad Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Another tip (that worked for me): avoid machines, use dumbells and barbells as much as possible. You use more muscles with barbells and dumbells.

At my local gym I only use 3 (e.g. Leg press) of the maybe 20 machines availeble