logging insanity and upping calories

Options
how do you log your insanity work outs? I use "circuit training" and I put the duration of the whole video. is that correct or should I be deducting the total minutes spent on stretching from the whole video duration? and also, do i have to up my cals since i'm starting the 2nd month of insanity? i'm currently eating about 1200-1600 a day and my goal is to get toned and lose some fat on my stomach

Replies

• Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I did insanity I used a HRM so I knew what I was burning. I also went by the recommendations in the insanity booklet and ate about 1800 daily in the second month.

Well done getting to the second month by the way :) It's not easy!
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I did insanity I used a HRM so I knew what I was burning. I also went by the recommendations in the insanity booklet and ate about 1800 daily in the second month.

Well done getting to the second month by the way :) It's not easy!
    1,800? isn't that too much? will it make you gain weight or is it just right to compensate for the energy you use when doing insanity? and thanks! yeahh and I'm proud to say I finish all the videos I do! :D with pause breaks lol
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    bump
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I am currently in week 3 of month 2 and I did up my calories a bit the second month...but, only by 100-200 calories...I also have a HRM so I know exactly how many calories I am burning. I know that I need to eat a bit more on days when I do Max Interval Circuit as that burns the most calories and obviously a little less on days when I do Max Recovery as that only burns about 300 calories for me...

I eat anywhere from 1500-1900 calories per day

I would suggest eating the mid-upper level of what you normally eat and see how it goes...you especially need to fuel for Max Interval Circuit and Max Interval Plyo...increase your water intake a bit as well...I actually drink almost two full water bottles during Max Interval Circuit

Good luck with month 2!! Its killer, but in a good way :happy:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    HRM are only good for steady state cardio...not insanity type workouts...and even then it's an esitmate as HRM track heart rate and are estimates of calories burned based on the setup of the HRM.

I log stuff like that as circut training as well and in 28mins I would burn about 280 calories...I ate them all back and still lost 1lb a week.

I was eating 1600 calories a day when I did insanity type workouts....and lost 1lb a week.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Doing Insanity you should be using the TDEE method rather than logging calories burned. Use one of the online calculators to calculate your TDEE such as those at scoobysworkshop or fat2fitradio and set that as your calorie goal. Do not log your workouts. Eat your goal everyday. The system MFP uses, where you log your workouts and add the calories to your day's goal, is really only ideal for people sticking to lower intensity forms of exercise, such as jogging or walking.
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    Doing Insanity you should be using the TDEE method rather than logging calories burned. Use one of the online calculators to calculate your TDEE such as those at scoobysworkshop or fat2fitradio and set that as your calorie goal. Do not log your workouts. Eat your goal everyday. The system MFP uses, where you log your workouts and add the calories to your day's goal, is really only ideal for people sticking to lower intensity forms of exercise, such as jogging or walking.
    I'll try this method to see if it works better for me. I've calculated my TDEE before and I got an estimated 1800 cals but I chose 6x a week for my activity level. should I use the 6x a week (intense) as I am planning to go to the gym on top of my insanity workouts cause I have been bingeing lately
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'll try this method to see if it works better for me. I've calculated my TDEE before and I got an estimated 1800 cals but I chose 6x a week for my activity level. should I use the 6x a week (intense) as I am planning to go to the gym on top of my insanity workouts cause I have been bingeing lately

Use 5x. Remember one day a week for Insanity is the "recovery" workout which is very low intensity and shouldn't really be counted toward this.

Also, you can't really stack Insanity with other forms of exercise unless you are a very high level athlete as it is very hard on the body and you won't recover quickly enough. The only thing you will be accomplishing is making yourself more prone to injury.
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    right. i see, thanks so much for the info!
  • honey_127
    honey_127 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've just been logging my workouts as "aerobics" but I don't know how close that is to the actual calories I've burned. As for the number of calories I eat, I started at 1200 because I wasn't hungry enough to eat more, but that only lasted a few days. I've been bumping up my calories now almost every day but I'm still losing the same amount of weight that I was losing at the beginning and now I'm at 1600. Also I've just started week 2 and loving every minute of it! :smile:
  • kimgeorge4
    kimgeorge4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started insanity and I'm so sore. I feel like a failure because I had to quit 10 minutes before it ended, but I'm going to keep going. I don't seem to lose much weight but IDK maybe I will start to soon.
  • josser1978
    josser1978 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don`t feel like a failure. You re big and brave enough to stick the DVD in and go for it. Just listen to the instructions and take a break when you need it!

I m on week 3 and am no way fit to complete it all!!! Ive only done 1 weigh in since I stated and with watching what Iam eating and lost 4 lbs last week and can see a difference in my body shape.

Stick in there you can do it!!!
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    I just started insanity and I'm so sore. I feel like a failure because I had to quit 10 minutes before it ended, but I'm going to keep going. I don't seem to lose much weight but IDK maybe I will start to soon.

you're not a failure! the fact that you considered insanity as your daily workout is brave and amazing! and it's normal if you are not able to finish the whole video on your first few days or weeks. you just have to be consistent in working out and you'll get better! :)
  • kimgeorge4
    kimgeorge4 Posts: 4
    Options
    So far I've stuck with it, I had to quit for a couple days cause I hurt my leg but I started back and now I feel better about it. Thank you so much for the support I really appreciate it. :smile: