ADVOCARE

Options
Done it? Love it? Hate it? Scary cult like pushers? Totally worth it?

Replies

• becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did the 24 day advocare challnege twice. The first time was last july. It was helpful because i still had a lot to lose. Lost 8 lbs. Second time didn't look much and found it annoying. I know a lot of people at my gym that swear by all the supplements. But I have never been a pill popper so most of it isnt for me. However that first time I did the challenge I found it helpful!

I will say that I have fallen IN LOVE with spark. It helped me ween off a diet coke addiction last year. I sort of fell back into the DC. Using it again to get me off diet coke for a 100 day self imposed challenge starting thursday.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Expensive... so I wouldn't consider it a long term solution even if it did work.
  • raelia
    raelia Posts: 23
    Options
    I love it. I did not try the 24-day challenge, but I use a lot of the other products for various reasons: energy, health, and weight loss. It does get expensive, but if you become a distributor you get a discount. Every advocare representative I have met has been very passionate about the products because of how it has helped them. It has kept me motivated, and I feel better at 35 than I have in my entire life. But hey, like everything, not everyone will like it, want it, or recommend it. Let me know if you try it!
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    Options
    I love Spark too! I replaced dr pepper with spark-- and because the full strength is too sweat for me-- I only use half a scoop keeping it to about 22 calories per use compared to 250 in a 20 oz dr. pepper!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Overpriced supplement that provides no benefit over following a free plan like MFP. Supplements are there only to supplement a lack of nutrition. So if you learn what foods to eat, the need for supplements isn't required. But if you want a structured plan and don't mind spend a lot of money for it, by all means. Outside of a structured plan, this really doesn't offer a benefit. If you need help with the MFP method, many of us will help and make sure you set yourself up for long term success.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Overpriced supplement that provides no benefit over following a free plan like MFP. Supplements are there only to supplement a lack of nutrition. So if you learn what foods to eat, the need for supplements isn't required. But if you want a structured plan and don't mind spend a lot of money for it, by all means. Outside of a structured plan, this really doesn't offer a benefit. If you need help with the MFP method, many of us will help and make sure you set yourself up for long term success.

Basically this. As far as the Advocare 24 day challenge, well, I'm not one to restrict myself, but some people are.
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tried a 24-day challenge. It was helpful in really kick-starting my better eating habits- small healthy snacks through the day, weening off of "bad" foods, etc. I felt more accountable - "Well, I spent so much money on it, I'd BETTER follow it." Other than that, nothing. I lost about 4 lbs. and spent over $200. I could have saved the money and really started the transformation myself - but I think the kickstart was what I personally needed.

There are people who RAVE about it, and I wanted so desperately to be one of them that I was incredibly let down by the whole program. Save yourself the money, in my opinion. My "distributor" wasn't very helpful, either. She didn't give me good information, was not very helpful when I had questions (I'm a type-2 diabetic - I needed to make sure this stuff wouldn't kill me!), and then breathed down my neck to continue buying products. My doctor flat out laughed at me when I told him that I had tried the challenge - that was enough for me to not go back and try again.

As for their spark energy drink... Maybe I'm on my own, but I also didn't feel like it did any good. I didn't feel the "instant energy" that everyone raves about. I thought it tasted gross and had no benefit. I still have a ton of packs in the cabinet because I couldn't stomach it.

Ultimately: pyramid sales, helping the higher-ups make more money; really expensive; HAS honestly helped some;
    My personal thought: save your money; but a new workout dvd or some carrot sticks instead. AND still have money left over :smile:
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    Options

As for their spark energy drink... Maybe I'm on my own, but I also didn't feel like it did any good. I didn't feel the "instant energy" that everyone raves about. I thought it tasted gross and had no benefit. I still have a ton of packs in the cabinet because I couldn't stomach it

If you would like to get rid of the packs in your cupboard, I would love to have your spark.