Need to get a grip in the evenings!!

Options
I am 'good' alllll day and at nights I really struggle! I tend to go to the gym every morning at 5.50am and do a good workout, I then go straight to work where I am generally really busy. I make myself go for a walk every lunchtime even if I don't feel like it, to get my steps up.

I have a healthy tea then turn into a food monster! I think its cos I live on my own and when I'm watching tv at night I can't stop thinking about food! I tend to just stay in during the week as I am up so early so I get fidgety and want to snack!

Any tips appreciated or even some tough 'get a grip' talk!

Replies

• BrittDoesIt
    BrittDoesIt Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Snacking at night is going to be one of my biggest challenges! I don't have a whole lot of advise besides maybe try to plan ahead and save some calories for later so you can snack and still stay in calorie range!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started having a smoothie (130 cal) at seven pm. It gets me through the evening. If I get an urge to snack after that, I’ll have some chewing gum and drink a tall glass of lemon water.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think this is a big issue for many people. during the day, many of us have structure so if we are being cognizant, we are able to eat within our meal plan. at night, often times, that structure breaks away. i struggle with it, too. my approach has been to build structure in the evenings. i have gone so far as writing out my evening in ten minute intervals of what i am going to do. maybe you can set a certain period of time for cleaning and organizing; a time set aside for a long bath; maybe time for a phone call to a friend or updating your facebook. then, i advise having plenty of tea and flavored water handy. i also like to have low calorie snack foods available--like 100 calorie popcorn or a pre-prepped veggie or fruit assortment. it is also helpful to have dinner made in advance or know EXACTLY what you will be making so you don't start eating the cupboards bare. good luck. oh, and going to bed early has its value as well.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same - I think I was just born to be a 'night time eater' looool!!!!!!

I actually get out of my bed, to snoop around the kitchen, feed my face....... and go back to sleep..... Yikes!!! That's bad!!!!

I would say... I need to take my own advice here...

Don't keep the bad food in the house

Maybe eat a bit more

Save some calories for later in the night

Up your protein

Drink more water

Try and have an early night, and switch the TV OFF!

Erm.......... Thinking....... load up on healthy fruits/veg/snacks to pick on.

Sit watching telly eating chopped carrots/celery with hummus/cucumber yoghurt.. Yum! ,,, Lower than chocs/crisps/biscuits.

Hope it helps x
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am 'good' alllll day and at nights I really struggle! I tend to go to the gym every morning at 5.50am and do a good workout, I then go straight to work where I am generally really busy. I make myself go for a walk every lunchtime even if I don't feel like it, to get my steps up.

I have a healthy tea then turn into a food monster! I think its cos I live on my own and when I'm watching tv at night I can't stop thinking about food! I tend to just stay in during the week as I am up so early so I get fidgety and want to snack!

Any tips appreciated or even some tough 'get a grip' talk!

Are you eating back your exercise calories? Only asking because some people don't know to do that and they end up being super hungry.

I'm a big evening snacker so I keep my calories low but filling during the day, and then snack at night.
    My diary is open if you want to look at yesterday as an example. :)
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Question 1: When you watch TV are you watching pre-recorded shows and skipping commercials, or watching whatever is on, and seeing the commercials? There are lots of commercials in the evening for food, and those images may be making you hungry. Also if you are bored (and watching whatever) you might be more prone to snacking. If it's "whatever" watching you might want to turn the TV off and do a yoga routine, go for another walk, play an online game, or read a book.

Question 2: What are you having for dinner besides the healthy tea? It could be that you're actually hungry and need to eat. Fresh blackberries are an awesome snack. Pineapple is high in sugars, but as a dessert it's great. If you're low on protein, how about a container of yogurt? I frequently have "breakfast for dinner" (bowl of cereal with fresh fruit on top).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    leave calories for those snacks in the evening...

that's what I do..prelog them...then prelog my day and adjust as necessary.

Now keep in mind I make sure my macros are hit and calories are in line or I adjust the amount of evening snacking but as you can tell by my diary today I already have my chocolate and ice cream in there...I am under my calories and I have hit my 120 grams of protien.
  • jillcally
    jillcally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I managed not to go over and I did a 47 min walk before my tea!!
  • aserranzana16
    aserranzana16 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem for sure - I watch a lot of television in the evening, and it was often accompanied by after dinner snacking and drinking. One thing that I have started doing is going for long walks after dinner. Not only do you keep yourself occupied so that you don't have food handy and you're not thinking about it, but you're burning extra calories, too! It also tires you out a little more so that by the time you do get home, you're ready for bed.

One more little trick - when you've reached a point in the evening where you want to stop, brush your teeth. It makes it a tiny bit less likely that you will start eating again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Ok...this may sound NUTS, but possibly it could be TV?

I don't mean commercials for delicious looking food, either.

My husband and I don't watch TV...by that I mean we don't have cable, satellite, and we don't even get local channels. We might watch 1-2 DVDs per month. I've never been a big snacker and generally...like in the 13 months I've used MFP...I don't feel hungry or in the mood for a snack at ALL in the evenings. I just eat dinner around six and I'm good til morning.

However, last week I discovered the HBO show Girls...and we watched like 4 hours of it every night for the past several days and every single night when we're watching TV, lounging on the sofa, I've thought to myself "hmmm...string cheese sounds good...there's one more Cadbury egg in the kitchen from Easter...I need chai tea with almond milk" and so on.

Maybe? I'm not saying totally stop TV watching...but just a thought. Usually we're out walking, running errands, reading, making collages, in bed together...or I'm cleaning house...

Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I eat when I read and watch tv too. I notice that when I work out at night, I don't have the desire to stuff my face, the fact that I just busted my *kitten* is too new. Protein smoothies also help so I feel full, and believe it or not, jigsaw puzzles. I do one while I watch tv, and my hands stay busy.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ditto the pre-plan thing!! If I dont pre-plan EVERYTHING then I am screwed. If you know that is your hard part of day, then prepare for it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I try to "graze" during the day with snacks of tree nuts or fruit between meals. I eat a sensible dinner and after that no more food. A walk before dinner helps to keep me out of the wine bottle a little longer.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I allow for it. Usually popcorn.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The smoothie idea is great, also what works for me is having some air-popped popcorn (not microwaved), a slice of toast with all-fruit jam or preserves, a diet soda, or a piece of fruit, like pineapple, watermelon. or a navel orange.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I get hungry in the evenings. So I leave calories specifically for that time.
  • pompomcarla
    Options
    As I am a bit of a grazer, I make my evening meal a controlled suitable portion size but I often leave half on my plate for later on. Same meal, just spread out over time!
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    try knitting or crocheting, it might keep your hands busy!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day and make sure to include my after-dinner treats like chocolate or icecream - or both if it fits!
  • Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just read an article in Prevention magazine that said we get an average of 20-25% of our calories from snacks, so make sure they're healthy :-) I live alone as well and I sometimes turn into a snack monster, but I've learned to choose healthier munchies. I keep bags and bags (literally) of cleaned/cut celery in my fridge, baby carrots, pickles(in moderation good for salty cravings), dark chocolate, pita chips, and hummus. I also have realized that when you live alone you should stock up on what you want to eat and don't put things in your cupboard to tempt you. My advice is plan ahead basically and you can't munch horrible snacks you don't have on-hand.