Myfitnesspal&Insanity

Options
Hi all,
Im doing insanity and trying to use the myfitnesspal app at the same time. Im getting confused with how I should log it. Insanity has you use the harris benedict formula to calculate your calorie intake. I did mine and it is around 2200 calories per day... With a 500 deficit its taking me down to 1700 a day. Should I just make goal calorie on the app 1700 and change the calorie fat and protein percentages to what insanity requires? If I do this then I don't have to add my workouts.(calorie wise). Im not sure how to do it? this whole net calorie thing on the app is confusing me because I know with working out im supposed to have 1700-2200 calories per day. Thanks!

Replies

• rsiler410
    rsiler410 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the rest of the question. But since I can't find any other equivalent to Insanity, I always enter it as Cardio/Circuit Training. I don't know what else to do.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    You can honestly do it either way
    - set up your weight loss goal/week and use the calorie intake MFP gives you...add in your Insanity calories...then eat back "some" of them (I don't recommend eating all of them..but, you definitely need to eat enough to fuel the Insanity workouts)...
    - This is what I do...I also have a HRM so that I can accurately (or mostly accurate, nothing is 100%) add back my workout calories...I know that Max Interval Circuit is going to burn more than Max Recovery, so I try to eat more on those days...for example
    -OR-
    - custom set up your calorie intake from Insanity and then either don't add in your exercise calories...or don't eat them back...

I would suggest you alter your macro % from what MFP gives you to something closer to what the Insanity nutrition guide gives you...you don't have to be exact, but I would suggest a higher protein macro % than MFP gives ...

my $.02

Good Luck with Insanity - its killer, but an awesome workout!
  • rsiler410
    Options
    I use these values, based on an endomorphic body type. Let me know what you think:

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,600 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 160.25 g - 40%
    Fat / Day 53.1111 g - 30%
    Protein / Day 120.5 g - 30%

Considering myself "Lightly Active"; Insanity workouts notwithstanding.
  • casmjones
    casmjones Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity and Hip Hop Abs. I couldn't find anything with Insanity so I did what others did and put it as Cardio.
  • rsiler410
    Options
    I've never known how calories burned are calculated until just now.

Men use the following formula:

Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) + (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184.

Women use the following formula:

Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.

Taken from:

http://fitnowtraining.com/2012/01/formula-for-calories-burned/

R.
  • logansmummy724
    Options
    someone told me a website i http://insanitycalories.com/

i am not sure exactly how accurate it is but its for inasnity
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, if you use the calculator that insanity provides, do a custom setup for calories and macros. Set it at 1700 and macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. This is what I have done for all beachbody programs.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    IMHO, since you paid for Insanity, do what it says. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Calculate your goals using their guide, set the custom goal in MFP, and don't worry about logging exercises.
  • rsiler410
    Options
    IMHO, since you paid for Insanity, do what it says. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Calculate your goals using their guide, set the custom goal in MFP, and don't worry about logging exercises.

What do you mean by "using their guide"?

R.
  • psuLemon
    Options

R.
    insanity is a beachbody program that comes with a guide that sets up calories and provides recommendations towards macronutrition and recipes. It comes about everything you need to get started. Using MFP for accuracy will just improve results.
  • rsiler410
    Options

R.
    insanity is a beachbody program that comes with a guide that sets up calories and provides recommendations towards macronutrition and recipes. It comes about everything you need to get started. Using MFP for accuracy will just improve results.

My kit never came with any of that. Just the DVD's, an insert poster, and the schedule. Maybe on their website?

R.
  • psuLemon
    Options

R.

My kit never came with any of that. Just the DVD's, an insert poster, and the schedule. Maybe on their website?

R.

Where did you buy yours? If you didn't buy it from beachbody, it could be a fake. Below is BB website that shows what should have came inside. And their nutrition plan is a part of it.

https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=93750&Cat=Fitness Program|INSANITY
  • Steadysh0t
    Steadysh0t Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity and P90X(1+2). What I did was create a custom workout called "P90x" under the 'Cardio' category. Then I enter the amount of minutes I do the program for that day. -After- you enter in the minutes, you can change the amount of calories burned for each workout. I wear a heart rate monitor for every workout I do, including the weight lifting days, so I know exactly how many calories I burn. You should really wear a heart rate monitor to make sure you're in/out of your range when you need to be during those workouts, plus you'll know how many calories burned for entry in MFP.

My recommendation for the diet portion- If you find the Insanity/P90x meal program (and have the cash to burn), follow their calorie guidelines. If you are dieting on your own, just use MFP's goals as a guide. I assume you know, but just in case you didn't- as you enter in calories/exercise your daily macro nutrient goals update. Following the macro nutrient goals is just as equally as important as calorie goals, _especially_ if you're working out that hard. MFP's goals are generally pretty good if you don't want to follow the (expensive) meal plan.

Best of luck!:smile:
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you ARE going to log your cals burned on MFP, set your goal to 1700. When you log your workout, your calorie goal will increase by the number burned.
    If you are NOT gong to log your cals burned, set you net to 2200.
  • rsiler410
    Options

R.

R.

Where did you buy yours? If you didn't buy it from beachbody, it could be a fake. Below is BB website that shows what should have came inside. And their nutrition plan is a part of it.

https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=93750&Cat=Fitness Program|INSANITY

I found it! I had misplaced it during my initial frenzy of opening - :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I've done Insanity and P90X(1+2). What I did was create a custom workout called "P90x" under the 'Cardio' category. Then I enter the amount of minutes I do the program for that day. -After- you enter in the minutes, you can change the amount of calories burned for each workout. I wear a heart rate monitor for every workout I do, including the weight lifting days, so I know exactly how many calories I burn. You should really wear a heart rate monitor to make sure you're in/out of your range when you need to be during those workouts, plus you'll know how many calories burned for entry in MFP.

My recommendation for the diet portion- If you find the Insanity/P90x meal program (and have the cash to burn), follow their calorie guidelines. If you are dieting on your own, just use MFP's goals as a guide. I assume you know, but just in case you didn't- as you enter in calories/exercise your daily macro nutrient goals update. Following the macro nutrient goals is just as equally as important as calorie goals, _especially_ if you're working out that hard. MFP's goals are generally pretty good if you don't want to follow the (expensive) meal plan.

Best of luck!:smile:

HRM are pretty much only accurate for high intensity steady state cardio. They are notoriously inaccurate for any type of weight training. If you follow the meal plan and eat the same calories daily, use a food scale for accuracy and track daily, you can figure out your TDEE or maintenance calories.
  • aliciamele
    aliciamele Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!