Fat thighs!!

Options
Ok so I need to loose weight all over but in particular my thighs! What exercises do people recommend to target this area? Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit.

x2
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you that you can't spot reduce. Sad but true. But...the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn at rest. And since your leg and glute muscles are the biggest muscles then I would focus on them the most. I carry most of my weight in my butt and thighs. I hit the weights 3x a week and work my legs in some fashion during every work out. Don't get me wrong, I work my whole body but my main focus is on my lower body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns and table push aways. It comes down to calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the great advice, need to work on mine also.
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Zumba, 3 times a week, worked great for me :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's all about the calorie deficit no matter what exercise you do, however, lifting will shape your body whereas cardio alone will just make you look like a smaller version of what you look like now.
  • violetshrinking
    Options
    Tonique DVDs have really shaped up my lower body. I mean, really! The instructor, Sylwia Wiesenberg, focuses on the glutes and legs, but the core and arms get worked too. These are not easy workouts. I would suggest the Mat workout or Tonique Premier to start with. I have never had such a sculpted lower body before, and I still have 20 lbs to lose! You can see clips at Total Fitness DVDs. Also, Tonique Premier is on Youtube in about 8 sections, so you can sample that one for free.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Tonique DVDs have really shaped up my lower body. I mean, really! The instructor, Sylwia Wiesenberg, focuses on the glutes and legs, but the core and arms get worked too. These are not easy workouts. I would suggest the Mat workout or Tonique Premier to start with. I have never had such a sculpted lower body before, and I still have 20 lbs to lose! You can see clips at Total Fitness DVDs. Also, Tonique Premier is on Youtube in about 8 sections, so you can sample that one for free.
    Sylwia focuses more on higher reps which work more on muscular endurance than "shaping". Using 1lb-3lbs dumbells doesn't do much to shape or even challenge muscle at all (other than muscle endurance training). And as one loses body weight (alot of her workouts are body weight only), the resistance will be reduced putting less emphasis on muscle strength.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you gain a lot in your lower body, then you will probably lose that weight last of all. You can't control where it comes off or in what order, but it will all come off eventually so just eat less, move more and wait.
  • yourpalsoap
    Options
    As people have already said, you can't spot-reduce fat. If you want to lose more weight overall then eat at a calorie deficit. If you're happy with the rest of your body but think your thighs are disproportionate - the problem is psychological and you need to work on loving your body and not comparing it to other people with thinner thighs.

People carry weight differently; it's just how bodies are. The more estrogen you have, the more likely you are to carry weight around your thighs and hips as opposed to your waist. There's nothing wrong with being pear-shaped! Embrace it.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    To make the weight loose you have to jiggle it a little bit.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat unfortunately (oh how I wish you could!). Burning calories overall will reduce fat overall (though in some people in seems to come off quicker in certain places than others, but I think that's just bad luck or genetics!).
  • pauldoucettefan
    pauldoucettefan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will give it my best shot!!:smile:
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To make the weight loose you have to jiggle it a little bit.

How many calories does jiggling my loose weight burn?
  • violetshrinking
    Options
    Sylwia focuses more on higher reps which work more on muscular endurance than "shaping". Using 1lb-3lbs dumbells doesn't do much to shape or even challenge muscle at all (other than muscle endurance training). And as one loses body weight (alot of her workouts are body weight only), the resistance will be reduced putting less emphasis on muscle strength.

IDEA Fitness member

You can call it what you want, but doing Sylwia's workouts has indeed shaped my body. Yes, they are high rep/low weight workouts that focus on endurance. I thought the OP was asking how to get her thighs smaller, not how to build muscle. My thighs and lower body have lines of definition I have never had before, and they are getting lean and strong.