What Can I make with beans and chickpeas?

Options
CAW8405
CAW8405 Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone,

I bought myself some Borlotti Beans, Chickpeas and Black eyed beans, could you recommend me any recipes that I can make using these ingredients.

Many Thanks

Replies

• ros2will3run
    ros2will3run Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi,

chickpeas make hummus, and also go well with chorizo, that oozes lots of flavour..i don't like them much myself..but love all lentils, which make great red lentil dahl, and curries..or green lentils with a vinagrette while still warm with sausages!!
    Black-eyed beans with some kind of Mexican or Caribbean food? should be loads of recipes on internet..
    or just a plain tomato based sauce with haricot beans, and i add chorizo..yummy!! Plus i always chuck in loads of extra vegetables..

love beans!!
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    With the chickpeas, you could make a chickpea salad. I make it all the time
    Chickpeas, peppers, onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, cucumbers,cilantro, vinegar olive oil. S&P
    what ever veggies you have on hand. the longer it sits the better it gets.

or you could use all the beans and make a bean salad.

you could also make rice and beans. lots of recipes for that online as well.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Great snack - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Chickpeas/

Amazing dessert - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/31/deep-dish-cookie-pie/

All beans are are great on salads and in soups too!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love bean salads. Toss them with some diced tomatoes, garlic, onion and peppers. Toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a lemon juice. Add whatever herbs/spices you like. (I like fresh cilantro and mint and ground cumin.) I also like a bit of diced jalapeno for spice.

Or you can make a bean chili.

Or a curry. I love eggplant and chickpea curry.

Or, as suggested above, hummus. I usually mix white beans and chickpeas when making hummus because it gives it a smoother texture.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    put them all into a chilli, either on their own or with some ground beef or chicken. There are so many crazy chili recipes out there, you can't go wrong - i found one with pineapple and smoked paprika which was delicious and something a bit different which was exactly what I was after.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Indian food!

For the chickpeas: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chana-masala/
    (I just had leftovers for breakfast on scrambled eggs, nom nom)

black-eyed peas:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/06/and-then-i-moved-into-the-refrigerator/
    (I think this recipe needs some garam masala as well, so I add 1-2 tsp to taste)
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas - hummus, Chole (indian dish) or vegan "tuna" salad http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2013/09/vegan-chickpea-tuna-sandwich.html
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    -hummus/ bean dips
    -three bean salad
    -vegetarian chili
    -you can roast the chickpeas for a crunchy snack
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes use chickpeas in a sauce for pasta. chickpeas, canned fire roasted tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic and italian seasoning all cooked together and toss with some penne pasta or bow ties.

Do you mean black beans or black eyed peas? I use black beans in salsas too. I make a mango black bean salsa with a cuban grilled chicken breast. Google it. It is a WW recipe. Really tasty.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to mash chickpeas and mix with mayo (you can use something else if you're doing the diet thing, i need fats in my diet as a recovering anorexic), mixed with relish. almost like a tuna salad, add red onion. serve on bread of choice with cheese and lettuce.

cook quinoa, mix in chickpeas, red onion and sauteed spinach. mix in a little homemade marinara sauce. cut a bell pepper in half and stuff it with that mixture, top with more marinara sauce and bake 15 mins at 350f.

chickpeas also good thrown on a salad, or you can make hummus with them.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    burritos - rice , beans & taco seasonings and then whatever else you want in a burrito
    hummus of course
    baked felafel lots of recipes for that on the web
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've tried roasted chickpeas, but they ended up the consistency of tiny rocks. Only the chickens would have liked them....So I just eat mine after cooking them in the crockpot for a few hours.....
  • sunseeker43
    Options
    I have a recipe from vitality magazine (google it) called Harira~it's a soup type dish, I love it. It calls for chick peas, brown rice and brown lentils but I usually add in quinoa instead of the rice. It's spicy but I don't find it too hot....just yummy! I make up the whole thing as suggested but then freeze in individual containers so I have lunch for a few days. Helps with cravings (for chips etc) due to all the spices and their flavours!