Measuring Inches

Options
I wanted to start measuring myself but wasn't sure how to go about doing it since I've never done it before. Are there particular areas? I don't want to just start measuring all sorts of places on my body. Does anyone do this regularly and are there specific places on the body to do it? Any info would be great...thanks.

*Kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start measuring myself but wasn't sure how to go about doing it since I've never done it before. Are there particular areas? I don't want to just start measuring all sorts of places on my body. Does anyone do this regularly and are there specific places on the body to do it? Any info would be great...thanks.

*Kistinbee*
  • JoyceDoerr
    Options
    I normally measure around the chest, waist, and hips. Once in a while (but not as regular) I will measure around my thighs and upper arm.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I measure the following sites at the following places

Arms-flexed-right in the center of my bicep

Waist-Across the bellybutton

Abdomen-Halfway between my hipbones and bellybutton

Thigh-Place your foot on a chair so your leg is bent at 90 degrees, and measure around the middle of your thigh

Bum/Hips-Around the widest part of my bottom

Calf-At the widest part of my calf
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    How do I take my measurements?

Question :
    How do I take my measurements?

Answer :
    Taking your measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fit. When you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. Here is how you take 10 different body measurements. Remember to keep your muscles relaxed while you're measuring.

1. Bust: Don't squish yourself -- measure all the way around your bust and back right at your nipple line, and make sure the tape measure is not lower.

2. Chest: Measure under your breasts but as high up as you can go, keeping the tape measure parallel to this line when you reach it around your back.

3. Waist: Measure wherever it is the smallest (if you have "no waist" go around yourself right at the navel line).

4. Hips: Measure at the very biggest part -- even if that is so low that you are almost on the top of your thighs.

5. Midway: Measure midway between the very biggest part of your hips and your waist.

6. Thighs: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

7. Knees: Measure right above the knee.

8. Calves: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

9. Upper arm: Measure wherever they are biggest above your elbows.

10. Forearms: Measure wherever they are biggest below your elbows.

Remeasure yourself every couple of months. It may seem discouraging to see your measurements when you start a diet plan, but once your begin to see results, the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful. Even if you have been on a program for a while, it's not too late -- it is great to watch your body continue to change.

Get your tape measure and get started now!

I also did my neck.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I measure first monday of every month.

Upper Arm, across bicep and tricep area.
    Calf= thickest part
    neck= just around the neck
    bust=right were your bra goes and across the nipples
    waist=were I put my hand above my hips and belly button
    hips=across bum and between belly button and hip bones
    thighs= I stand up and put the tape measure across the upper, meatier part of my thigh, but I am going to try songbryds way next time too.

There are months when I have only lost a couple of lbs but I loose inches like crazy, it helps get you out of the scale number slump!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    The main thing to remember when measuring is to measure in the same place every time. For example, one lady mentioned measuring her waste at her belly button. I always just use the slenderest part of my torso for my waste, but it doesn't matter which one you choose to use as long as you always choose the same spot.

I do my chest, waste, hips and thighs.
  • DanielleG
    Options
    Taking Body Measurements

How to effectively take your body measurements.
    Each time you take your body measurements, it is crucial to use the same measuring tape and place it in the same position on each body part. Using a different measuring tape or positioning the measuring tape differently on each body part may show incorrect results.

Waist
    Measure at your natural waist, which is approximately 2" above your hip bone.

Hips
    Start at hip level (right above pubic bone) on one side. Then capture the middle of the glutes before wrapping around to the opposite side. Be sure that the tape measure is also capturing the widest part of the hips.

Chest
    Wrap the tape high under your armpits and around to the front of your chest. Before recording this measurement, make sure that your arms lowered to your sides. Relax and then record this chest measurement when your chest is at natural size.

Thighs
    Measure at the highest point of the thigh, under the pubic bone.

Calves
    Measure at the thickest point of the calf, typically halfway between the knee and the ankle.

Biceps
    Extend the upper arm. Wrap the tape measure around the bicep halfway between the armpit and the fold of the elbow. Relax the arm down by your side in a natural state and record your measurement.