How many calories do I really burn on treadmill?

Options
Hi so I love my treadmill but I am not sure of how many calories I burn on it! Any help? I am 5'6" & 96lbs. I walk on the treadmill at 3.1 mph with 10% incline. Apparently an hour of this burns 220 calories, would that be right or am I burning even less? Thanks so much guys :)

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You are very underweight. I hope you are on a weight gain plan.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've seen others comment that treadmills and the like can be wrong by up 30%, usually in the overestimation side. The numbers on the machines tend to be fairly general, even if you're entering your weight and such. Keeping accurate track of you're heart rate will give you the best reading.
  • Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Best to invest in a quality heart rate monitor.. I think polar is the most accurate. Most machines overestimate calories burned.
    ????
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Even though you are tiny that looks far too low. With your stats I would think you would be better over estimating not under estimating.

This calculator gives 350 cals.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

(Calculators can give very reasonable estimates for walking or running.)
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I used to base my calorie burn by the machine until I got my HRM... I was disappointed with myself after I realized I was burning no where near 10 cals per minute like the machine was reading :-(
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Even though you are tiny that looks far too low. With your stats I would think you would be better over estimating not under estimating.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

5'6" isn't even that tiny. The average height for a woman in the US is 5'4". I really hope OP is trying to gain weight, and I agree that over estimating would be better than underestimating in this case.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Best to invest in a quality heart rate monitor.. I think polar is the most accurate. Most machines overestimate calories burned.
    ????

^^ Take this advice... it's the only way to go!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Yup this!!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    She never said she was trying to lose weight..she asked a general question and that was all.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    She never said she was trying to lose weight..she asked a general question and that was all.

And no-one has suggested that the OP suggested she was trying to lose weight...we made a general statement and that was all.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

And no-one has suggested that the OP suggested she was trying to lose weight...we made a general statement and that was all.

This pretty much assumes that:
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options

5'6" isn't even that tiny. The average height for a woman in the US is 5'4". I really hope OP is trying to gain weight, and I agree that over estimating would be better than underestimating in this case.

It's not the height, it's the 96 pounds...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yeah...I'm pretty sure that "tiny" was in reference to the combination of height and weight, not just the height. Someone who is 5'6" and 96 Lbs is tiny....pretty sure that's what he meant.

OP, calorie burn is all an estimate...really, I wouldn't worry about it. If I were you I'd spend less time on the treadmill and more time in the weight room and I'd eat some more food.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    Oh no I'm definitely far from tiny lol but I was just curious about calories burned on the treadmill? I never trust what the treadmill says lol