Confused About How the Weight is Lost

Options
I started my weight loss journey on March 3rd. I have lost 19 pounds so far (My ticker says 18 because I put in the wrong starting weight). At first, I was losing 3-4 pounds a week, and now my weight loss has slowed to 1-2 pounds a week, which is reasonable and understandable. The part that is confusing is WHEN during the week I lose my weight. I exercise every day except for Sunday. Every week, I lose one pound between Saturday and Monday, and then maybe another pound between then and Wednesday. But towards the end of the week, I don't lose anything else.

Why am I losing weight on the day I'm not working out, and then when I work hard throughout the week I don't lose anything? My net calories are 1200 every day, I log everything in accurately, but when I don't exercise I drop a pound. Shouldn't I be losing more while I'm exercising? I was thinking about not eating my exercise calories back, but then my net would only be around 900. Why is this happening this way?

Replies

• DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate by a couple pounds on any given day, for a variety of reasons. That is why its so important to weigh on the same day, at the same time, after the same activity, and in the same clothes. I choose Sunday mornings before breakfast.

Its not good emotionally to check the scale EVERY day. You will end up torturing yourself that way. I recommend you lay off the scale except on scheduled weigh-ins once a week.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Honestly, does it really matter how it happens, as long as it's happening?
  • Bu1l
    Bu1l Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    DO YOU DO THE SAME WORK OUT OVER AND OVER.. MIGHT HAVE TO SWITCH IT UP .. MORE THAN LIKELY ITS PROBABLY WHAT YOU ARE EATING.. PROTEIN SHAKES? DIET FOOD?... AS LONG AS YOU ARE LOSING.. KEEP IT UP ..
  • CJRabbit
    CJRabbit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. I always lose weight more quickly when I don't exercise and just lower my food intake. However, it is much healthier to exercise, as well as lower your calorie intake. When you exercise, you are building muscle (which is heavier than fat). Building the muscle will give you a much more toned and fitter looking body, not to mention the cardio benefits. You will also find that your inches/centimetres are being reduced more quickly by exercising, even if the numbers on the scale don't seem to be going down as much. Keep going with your exercise as well as your reduced calorie intake and you will get the best of both worlds - a healthier, fitter, more toned and less heavy body!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates during the week, depending on how much sodium I've had or if I'm retaining water, or whatever. Like DivineChoices suggested, I pick one day a week for my official weigh-in, and I always do it at the same time under the same conditions. Your muscles retain water after strength training, so if that's part of your workout routine, that may be why you see a loss on your rest day since that retained water has passed.
  • arijo7
    arijo7 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback, it does really help! I'm going to keep everything in mind and maybe add in some more cardio :)