Shaping Legs

Options
Hi All,

I am a month in to my fitness journey and the weight is coming off. I carry alot of weight in my thighs, especially the front of my thighs. What are the best exercises to do? And how often.

Right now I am doing zumba, body pump and occasionally yoga.

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit loses fat - you can't really control where it comes from though.

Strength exercises (squats, etc.) can help tone the muscles under the fat - can make for a smaller look over time.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sorry sweetie, you can't spot reduce. It sucks I know, I have similar issues. However Zumba is a great way to burn calories, and doing weighted squats is a great way to engage your largest muscle groups, which burns more calories and once all the fat does melt off you'll have lovely toned legs.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Strong curves is a good lower body strength training.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat. The body will burn it from the areas it, not us, decides. However, strength and resistance training help to firm and tone those areas.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Resistance_training_the_health_benefits?open

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/strength-training/art-20046670
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Your leg shape is your leg shape. You can lose fat on them, but that's more about calorie deficit than exercise. You cannot spot reduce any area of the body with exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, and a calorie deficit
  • Phoenxyx79
    Options
    I know I cannot choose where to lose fat from. Maybe I worded it wrong. I want strong legs and need to work that area. I didnt know if anyone had a routine that the like.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and deadlifts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, and a calorie deficit

x2
  • Phoenxyx79
    Options
    Thanks. I will have to look at joining a gym to have access to more weights.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Absolutely squats, lunges and deadlifts are great for adding some definition to your legs! But they are also good for so many other things!

But you can do squats and lunges at home if a gym membership isnt where you are at in your journey - and there are lots of other techniques that will help tone your legs. Plyo is a good method that doesnt involve a gym and has made a huge difference in the shape of my 'tree trunks'
  • Phoenxyx79
    Options
    Absolutely squats, lunges and deadlifts are great for adding some definition to your legs! But they are also good for so many other things!

But you can do squats and lunges at home if a gym membership isnt where you are at in your journey - and there are lots of other techniques that will help tone your legs. Plyo is a good method that doesnt involve a gym and has made a huge difference in the shape of my 'tree trunks'

Do you have a plyo routine that you like? I am in a fitness class club and we have only classes so I would have to join a gym to have full access to weights. I would love something that I could do at home. With my families schedule it is hard to do things outside of the home everyday.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A couple of good basic lifting programs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine

Or until you get a gym you can look into "Convict Conditioning", "You are your own gym", or I think the Strong Lifts book that was already mentioned has a bodyweight program.
  • Phoenxyx79
    Options
    Thanks there is so much information out there and I just needed to be pointed in the right direction :)
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    search through fitness blender's website...they've got over 200 free exercise videos posted, and you can search out ones for lower body strength...you don't need a ton of equipment to use their videos, plus they do vlogs on different health/wellness topics that are fun to watch too. I also agree with the suggestions for squats, deadlifts, and a calorie deficit, but if you're looking for videos to use, fitness blender has tons.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Strong curves is a good lower body strength training.

Just want to add that this book has a full body program, a lower body program, and a body weight training program. Bretcontreras.com