Struggling to accept

Options
2»

Replies

• mikepautzke
    mikepautzke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From the Male perspective, believe it or not, I went through the same thing. It is hard to accept that I no longer have the beer belly hanging out front, though I still feel I do. I look at pictures now and can hardly believe who I am. the bulge above my belt line seems as big to me as it ever was, though I know it is not. You will get used to it and adjust, hang in there.
  • hada1967
    hada1967 Posts: 3
    Options
    I spent a fortune and some of the clothes I never wore. By the tme I got ready to wear them they were to big. I find that when i go into shops now people treat me different now. Sad that when you are over weight you are treated likean outcast when the same person is still inside
  • hada1967
    hada1967 Posts: 3
    Options
    It took me a while to start wearing stuff that fits still see that other person but you will see the you everyone else is seeing
  • emilyrthompson
    Options
    I have been about 15 pounds lighter than I am today and I felt shy and embarrassed and I felt like men looked at me too much. I felt like a piece of meat. I like to be a little heavier because I feel more comfortable that I won't get "noticed" as much. I think that is why I struggle to get back down to that weight, internally I know I don't want to feel that way again. However, now that I am not 25 anymore, I am 35, I may not experience those same feelings or experiences.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I went through this. Buying clothes that were too big, not wanting to wear certain things that revealed the changes in my body because my eyes had not really caught up with reality. It was almost like going through puberty again, in a way. I suddenly became very aware of (and very paranoid) when people were looking at me. Guys would check me out, and I had no idea what to make of it. I felt like an alien for a while. But you get over it. It just takes some time.

And this needs to be said ... I can't speak for people who have lost 20 or 30 lbs, but as someone who lost essentially half my body weight, I can tell you I am not the same person I was before. People treat me differently now not because I am no longer fat but because I am much friendlier, more open, more approachable than I was before. I look everyone in the eye. I smile and nod at people when I pass them. I'll start conversations with random people. I don't get a deer-in-headlights look on my face when I catch a man checking me out. I didn't have that kind of confidence before, and that has a lot more to do with why I was treated like I was invisible before than the fact that I was fat.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at my goal weight, but I still feel fat, I still have the roll of fat that hangs over the waistband of my trousers, even though I've gone from a uk size 16 top 14 bottom to a uk size 12 top 10 bottom.

I just assumed I'd reach that magic goal weight and I'd have the perfect body, but I look in the mirror and all I see is the same person looking back at me with the same rolls of fat.

I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 months, then it slowed right down, I've only lost 2lbs this year with 3lbs more to go.

I agree with what others have said, get some nice clothes, I have a go to dress, which when I wear I can't believe it's me wearing it, but all I wanted was to wear a bikini this summer, but the way I feel at the moment I'll still be wearing my tankini.

I've seen the before and after pics on here and people look amazing, I'm sure it's just a confidence thing and I've not found that yet.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    From the Male perspective, believe it or not, I went through the same thing. It is hard to accept that I no longer have the beer belly hanging out front, though I still feel I do. I look at pictures now and can hardly believe who I am. the bulge above my belt line seems as big to me as it ever was, though I know it is not. You will get used to it and adjust, hang in there.

Totally get that men have similar feelings!

I can also relate to the belt line bulge. That area for me has gone from being the size of an actual car tire to the size of maybe like, a smaller baguette lol and yet I still feel like it's a tire.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at my goal weight, but I still feel fat, I still have the roll of fat that hangs over the waistband of my trousers, even though I've gone from a uk size 16 top 14 bottom to a uk size 12 top 10 bottom.

I just assumed I'd reach that magic goal weight and I'd have the perfect body, but I look in the mirror and all I see is the same person looking back at me with the same rolls of fat.

I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 months, then it slowed right down, I've only lost 2lbs this year with 3lbs more to go.

I agree with what others have said, get some nice clothes, I have a go to dress, which when I wear I can't believe it's me wearing it, but all I wanted was to wear a bikini this summer, but the way I feel at the moment I'll still be wearing my tankini.

I've seen the before and after pics on here and people look amazing, I'm sure it's just a confidence thing and I've not found that yet.

I'm the same UK sizes as you and have the same problem. My clothes are smaller but my shape is the same as when bigger so the spare tyre remains lol.

I've learned that wt loss doesn't silence the brain monkey who beats you up from inside!
  • chezza189
    chezza189 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as a lot of people here. I still feel self conscious at times , like my stomach is still my bad area. I still have that weird boob thing at the top of my arms. I also find the extra male attention hard to deal with. I agree with others, sometimes it is nicer to be bigger are you are sorta more invisible to the world, you just exist inside you're own head.

However recently I have been like, I worked dam hard for this body and I am going to show it off. I wear either dresses or skirts all the time and I feel classy now. I feel a lot happier wearing my dresses and being 130lbs than I did always wearing jeans and t-shirts and being 155lbs.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Would you be able to do something like an appointment met a style advisor or a personal shopper? Besides giving you useful tips it might help you get used to seeing your body in a new way.
    Just an idea. :flowerforyou: