Hard Boiled Eggs

Options

Replies

• maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Hey there! I don't know if you're asking for egg recipes without the peel because you have a hard time peeling boiled eggs, so forgive me if I'm assuming, but I wanted to share my boiled egg timing. Start with your eggs in COLD water on the stove and bring it up to a boil with the eggs in it. Once it starts boiling time EXACTLY 11 minutes (random, I know!) and as soon as 11 minutes is up let them sit under cold running water for like 10 minutes. They peel SUPER easily. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • DemetraDawn
    DemetraDawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just boil the eggs at home and bring them to work, eat them cold. Not sure what the issue is re egg shells?

Just the mess, cranky coworkers and I always loose a good bit of egg. But in reading these tips, I may be making them wrong!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Cool trick my mom taught me a while back... After you've boiled your eggs and ran cool water over them to stop the cooking process, drain all water from the pot and gently shake the pot in a circular motion (this works best with a sauce pot or similarly small pot). You'll see the eggshells cracked all over. After this, you should be able to peel them off the egg in 1-2 attempts.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Here is how I hard boil eggs and I rare have shell issues

- Fill pot of water with enough water to cover eggs
    - Add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
    - Bring water to boil
    - With some tongs, add eggs carefully
    - Boil for 4 minutes
    - Once done boiling, move to the side and cover for 14 minutes.
    - Drain water and either let sit or put cold water to cool eggs.

Also, have you considered making small amounts of meat for a side? Like cutting up chicken and making nuggest/fingers as a small snack. Or just do bacon.

I do all of this minus the cider and before they completely cool I peel all of them and return them to the colder water to rinse of any left over shells. Then I lay out dry paper towel and roll them out to get rid of the water. I put them in a big gallon baggie and draw from them for lunch, breakfast, or snacks. Quick and painless and you won't be fighting with shells all week, as the chill the shell is harder to peel off!!

I also buy already cooked rotisserie chicken or turkey from the store and separate from the bone and put the meat in baggies weighed out to 2 or 4 oz depending on the workout.

I have reduced fat mozzarella sticks, almonds of different kinds, low fat cottage cheese, chobani greek yogurt (for quick grabs) or a tub of plain greek yogurt and I add my own berries or granola. Totally off the egg topic just passing helpful info along.
  • Kinseykick
    Options
    I've just finished off the bunch of hard boiled eggs I made for Easter so these ideas are great!

Bump :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Never heard of diet helping painful periods.I would Google that.

I love the internet, where medical advice from doctors is best discarded for a google search.
  • DemetraDawn
    Options
    Yep.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Never really looked into it, but I've heard that reduced carb diets seem to help relieve pain from PCOS....so maybe doc was thinking along those same lines?!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like boiling them in batches of 6 (usually I eat 2 on the spot and put the rest in the fridge for the next day). The great thing about eggs in-shell is that they taste as good the next day as they did when you made them! If you want to eat them all on the spot (rather than traveling with them in which case in-shell is your best bet) then you might want to consider buying an egg poacher (like a pot with a special lid thing that has egg-cooking-wells in it) as this is the closest option to boiling.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not microwave them just by themselves. A co-worker actually blew the door off a microwave at work because he didn't know any better. Eggs will explode violently after enough time in one.
  • DemetraDawn
    Options
    Never really looked into it, but I've heard that reduced carb diets seem to help relieve pain from PCOS....so maybe doc was thinking along those same lines?!

Could be! I don't have PCOS or cysts or anything else that can give my doctor a plain reason why this is happening (cramps, nausea, dehydration, fatigue, dizziness, fevers, etc.)

I think she's probably combining stuff that has helped other people and saying why not give this a try? If it doesn't work, I would, by definition of avoiding carbs/sugars for protein, whole foods and veggies, be eating healthier. So I figure, why the hell not. I'm trying to eat better anyhow, and I am a notorious meal skipper (I just am not hungry but then a gorge later....). Maybe a schedule will help!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use a T-Fal steamer. It has a compartment for six eggs - you just put them in the bowl, they're all standing up, set the timer, and boom! Done perfectly in minutes and there's NO problem shelling them whatsoever.

I couldn't live without my steamer.

This is the one I use.

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-VC133851-Balanced-Compact-Electric/dp/B008FX6KH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398785889&sr=8-1&keywords=tfal+steamer
  • JLWiese712
    Options
    When hard boiling eggs make sure you dont take them right out of the fridge and put them right into boiling water! They will crack in the water! Let them warm up to room temperature as much as possible! I learned this one the hard way!
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll throw another boat in for baking them in a muffin pan. Can do a whole batch, refrigerate, and pull them out ready to go as needed. Go great with a little salsa on them. Or, you can beat them, throw in a little ham and veggies and make little omelette bites to go. All up to your personal tastes, but it's a pretty handy way to go.
  • KarenGMT
    KarenGMT Posts: 19
    Options
    I just tried this method a couple weeks ago and ended up with 12 perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs. First time ever, and I've made me some hard-boiled eggs in my years. It's unbelievably easy. (For the record, I got the information from dinosaurscanteatpizza.com.)

- Eggs
    - Steamer basket
    - Pot with lid
    - Bowl of ice water

Instructions
    Put the steamer basket in your pot, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer basket.
    Place the eggs in the steamer basket; put lid on pot.
    Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Once the water begins boiling, set the timer for 20 minutes. (It doesn’t hurt to occasionally check the water level to be sure it hasn’t boiled dry.)
    When the 20 minutes are up, fill a large bowl with water, add the eggs, and then fill the bowl with ice. Let eggs chill for about half an hour before shelling.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just boil my water, and then add my eggs for 10 mins. I use an ice cream scoop to lower them into the water so that they don't crack. When finished, I run them under cold water just long enough that I can handle them without burning my hands...I've found that the more my eggs cool the harder they are to peel. My eggs always come out beautiful...rarely do I lose egg due to peeling issues. Then I just throw them in a leftover container if I intend to take them to work or use them in salad. Never had an issue like this.

PS My grandma was of the "cool your eggs completely to peel them" camp. The first time we made deviled eggs together, I converted her to my method of peeling them hot. :wink:
  • shel0158
    shel0158 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can reheat hard boiled eggs in the microwave, yes they will explode if you arent careful. I reheat mine. It only takes a few seconds. I learned this trick from my mom, when I was younger that was the only way my little brother would eat eggs so my mom would hard boil a whole dozen and put them in the fridge. If my brother wanted one she would peal it and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and he was good to go. Just be sure to peal it first. keep an eye on it as microwaves very but it take about 10 seconds in mine to reheat
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've found that the key to easier peeling is to place the eggs into an ice bath immediately after cooking. It creates steam between the egg and the shell, which makes for much easier peeling. I hardly ever lose pieces of egg anymore!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Be a bit cautious that you don't destroy your cholesterol with this change. If you start eating lots of eggs and cheese that will NOT be good for your diet. Dairy makes me explode in weight so I barely eat any cheese and no yogurt because I don't find it filling. If you already eat a bunch of both cheese and yogurt you'll probably be fine.

If you make any of the little egg popper recipes people have listed try to use egg whites - you can get a big box of cartons at costco. Or if you hard boil, don't eat the entire yolk or do egg salad with one whole egg, one with white-only.

I eat a lot eggs, but I eliminated the yolks a few months ago and find them just as delicious and filling. Even at work you could keep egg whites and I think there are recipes where you can pour them into a container and microwave them with some other stuff in there to make an omelet or a lot of electric egg cookers that make hard boiled eggs also come with a little dish to cook egg out of the shell like for quick 'poached' eggs or mini omelets.

Quinoa is high in protein and you could make a quinoa salad with beans for more protein like this:
    Quinoa Tabouleh

2 cups water
    1cup quinoa
    1 can drained blk beans
    1 seedless cucumber peeled and chopped
    1red pepper, chopped
    Scallions chopped
    1/3 cup minced parsley
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Cook quinoa, fluff with fork, cool, add the rest and pour lemon juice and oil salt and pepper.

And also don't forget chili which is easy and heats up well or soups like a simple chicken and veggie crock pot soup:
    http://www.101cookingfortwo.com/healthy-crock-pot-chicken-vegetable-soup/

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So without getting into too much exposition, my doctor has recommended that I start eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of bigger ones three times per day (this is actually not to do with weight loss, this is to due with unbelievably painful periods...but she said weight loss would be a happy side effect).

Anyhow, she said that its very important to get in protein in all of the small snacks and no sugar at all (organic cheese sticks, nuts, chicken, etc.). One of the things she mentioned was hard-boiled eggs, which I love and would be super easy to incorporate into my work schedule (in moderation and rotation with other types of protein).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make hard boiled eggs or something similar without the shells? Would you bake them maybe?

Or if you have other natural protein small snack ideas, share them here too!

Eggs contain sugar, might want to reconsider if you're not allowed any sugar