Gaining weight ESPECIALLY BF

Options
Hello!

I got rediculously slender at from all my exercising and eating "healthy" at 5'4, 100lbs and 15% bodyfat. It's just not where I want to be, personally.. So I've started gaining weight (which of course, seems way more difficult than losing somehow) and I'm back to 107lbs and 19% BF. I'm sure I'll put on a couple more pounds, but I'm curious if its possible to maintain (or gain only a little) weight but increase body fat?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight will include body fat. It's quite hard to just gain muscle only and no body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    *backs out* Thought this was another bashing your BF thread.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought this was a thread where someone was calling their boyfriend fat. What a shame...
    Hello!

I got rediculously slender at from all my exercising and eating "healthy" at 5'4, 100lbs and 15% bodyfat. It's just not where I want to be, personally.. So I've started gaining weight (which of course, seems way more difficult than losing somehow) and I'm back to 107lbs and 19% BF. I'm sure I'll put on a couple more pounds, but I'm curious if its possible to maintain (or gain only a little) weight but increase body fat?

Wanna bet? If only gaining were so hard for all of us.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought this was a thread where someone was calling their boyfriend fat. What a shame...
    Hello!

I suspect wrong kind of gains- systematic gaining is difficult- especially for women.

Think the best summation was Waldo's (or something close tot his.
    Cutting is a battle of wills
    Bulking is a battle of self confidence

OP- gains come with both muscle and fat- or just fat (if you aren't lifting LOL). Keep the calorie count up- banish thoughts of "clean" food from youre brain- do whatever it takes to meet your MINIMUM bulking goal.

I have found coming home to a tall glass of milk- oreos- or oreos crushed in ice cream really helps me meet the minimum for the day LOL If you have a hard time eating all the food- drink your calories. That will help.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    your bf% will increase with weight gain. was in a similar boat as far as the same height and weight, although i am a recovering anorexic, and back to a healthy weight and bf% for my height. it is harder than people think to healthily gain weight.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IDK as I am working on maintaining weight while gaining muscle. Nice kick! I want a picture like that! Was that a casual snapshot that turned out really nice or a professional shot?
  • strawberrykoi
    strawberrykoi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello!

...When a person exercises regularly, and eats clean and 6 small meals a day... It really can be tricky to gain weight. I mean, if I went back to eating pizza and cinnamon rolls all the time again - THAT would be a different story.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, try not to listen to people telling you how easy gaining weight should be. Bulking is mentally really difficult -- anyone who tells you otherwise has probably never tried it. I'm only halfway through my first bulk and am just now realizing that, to get where I want to be, this is going to have to be the first of many. I can't really give you advice, because I'm just figuring things out myself, but I can share a couple of things I've learned.

The first is that you have to be WAY more patient than you think! I'm struggling right now because I've gained 7 pounds and don't look any different. I think a lot of people end up underweight without noticing because we don't have an accurate self-image, and so we may think 10 pounds will make a giant difference but in reality it doesn't. Don't worry so much about the scale weight -- use it as one data point, but also look at measurements, pictures and how well your clothes fit. When it comes down to it, if your body is the same size/shape, it doesn't matter if the scale says 100, 107 or 110, right?

The second thing is to get rid of the "clean" eating way of thinking. (Or loosen up on the definition). I used to have the mindset that whenever I had to eat, my goal was to choose the healthiest option possible, but you will never hit your bulking calories that way! So far, it's working for me to prioritize this way: 1. Protein, 2. My target for servings of veggies/fruits. 3. Calories

As long as I've gotten enough protein and a reasonable number of veggies/fruits, the most important thing for me to do is hit my calories, however I can. If it's the end of the day and I still have 500 calories, the healthiest thing for me to choose is ice cream or cookies/milk, because that will ensure I meet priority #3.
  • strawberrykoi
    Options
    OP, try not to listen to people telling you how easy gaining weight should be. Bulking is mentally really difficult -- anyone who tells you otherwise has probably never tried it. I'm only halfway through my first bulk and am just now realizing that, to get where I want to be, this is going to have to be the first of many. I can't really give you advice, because I'm just figuring things out myself, but I can share a couple of things I've learned.

The first is that you have to be WAY more patient than you think! I'm struggling right now because I've gained 7 pounds and don't look any different. I think a lot of people end up underweight without noticing because we don't have an accurate self-image, and so we may think 10 pounds will make a giant difference but in reality it doesn't. Don't worry so much about the scale weight -- use it as one data point, but also look at measurements, pictures and how well your clothes fit. When it comes down to it, if your body is the same size/shape, it doesn't matter if the scale says 100, 107 or 110, right?

The second thing is to get rid of the "clean" eating way of thinking. (Or loosen up on the definition). I used to have the mindset that whenever I had to eat, my goal was to choose the healthiest option possible, but you will never hit your bulking calories that way! So far, it's working for me to prioritize this way: 1. Protein, 2. My target for servings of veggies/fruits. 3. Calories

As long as I've gotten enough protein and a reasonable number of veggies/fruits, the most important thing for me to do is hit my calories, however I can. If it's the end of the day and I still have 500 calories, the healthiest thing for me to choose is ice cream or cookies/milk, because that will ensure I meet priority #3.

WOW!!! What an amazing piece of advice!! <3 I love the priority list like that because I AM eating too clean and I'm over-eating to compensate and get in 2,000+ calories. I'm definitely changing my process and way of thinking all of a sudden... This has been so stressful, and I thank you for making it seem simpler that I was making it out to be >_<
  • strawberrykoi
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Good answer. It's not just a problem for gals either. For me to bulk, my eating clean definition changed. Like you I'll eat ice cream and/or cookies if I don't think I'm going to hit my numbers. I focus on hitting protein, eat some fruits and veggies, then hit calories/day. I do watch not to get completely out of hand on fats, but if they go over well too bad.