Teach me to breathe

Options
I have worked my way up to being able to run (slowly) 2-2.5 miles. I feel like I could go farther if I could teach myself how to breathe properly. I usually end up taking shallow quick breaths. Is there any tips or techniques to get past that kind of breathing? I concentrate but still end up not being able to breathe from down deep in abdomen and it feels like my breath is cut off at the chest.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I have worked my way up to being able to run (slowly) 2-2.5 miles. I feel like I could go farther if I could teach myself how to breathe properly. I usually end up taking shallow quick breaths. Is there any tips or techniques to get past that kind of breathing? I concentrate but still end up not being able to breathe from down deep in abdomen and it feels like my breath is cut off at the chest.

Well breathing from the diaphragm, you abdomen will "push" out a bit. Try pushing your abs out some while you inhale. It takes a little practice, but repetition will get you doing it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I breathe in for 2 steps and breathe out for 1. Every 4 cycles I breathe in for 4 steps and out for 4 steps. I'm not real experienced but this is what I have found that works for me.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me in choir to open you mouth and put the tip of your tongue right behind your teeth on the roof of your mouth and inhale because it makes it easier to get a deep breath. I assume it would work for running too; I suck at breathing while I run (i almost always end up holding my breath) but maybe this will work for you?
  • srobertking
    srobertking Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Besides the tips above, I found also making sure my upper body is relaxed helps a lot. If I'm tensing up my shoulders, face, and so on it makes it hard to breathe. Also making sure you're standing up straight. That also helps.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest having a good sing of rousing songs like might happen round camp fires and the like. We tend not to breath deeply and this has been said to encourage deeper breathing over all, something we might all benefit from not just when running
  • prafullaraut
    Options
    I can relate to that because I was also facing the same problem. I think it is quite normal initially and will get better as you get more fit.
    Also running slow and keeping the upper body relaxed while running has helped me a lot. I had the tendency to tense by shoulder and abs while running.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I will try to give them all a try. I have come a long way but still have a long way to go. I just signed up today for my 1st 5K in Nashville this Saturday. I am nervous but excited too. I know that I probably cant even run a mile on the street but I am a fast walker and am just hoping not to finsh last. I plan to walk fast and jog/run when I can. This is a first for me. I have walked the half marathon 3 times in Louisville Ky and it usually took right at 4 hours. Wish me luck.