Feeling Discouraged--Advice Appreciated!

Hi! I'm new to the boards, but I've been dieting for about 8 weeks now. When I started, I was about 165-166 lbs (female, 24 years old, 5'5"). Right now I am hovering between 159-160 (sometimes I go up to 161 when I'm bloated). For the past two weeks, I haven't been able to lose anything even though I've stuck to my diet and exercise plan. I consume between 1200-1300 calories a day, and I'm in the Alpha phase of the T25 workouts, which I do 5-6 times a week. No matter what I try, I can't seem to lose more then .5 pounds a week and now it seems I'm at a stall. I'm 9 pounds overweight for my height, so I thought my body would be happy with the deficit and lose accordingly. This is the highest weight I've been in my whole life, and I've lost faster when I was a lower weight (135, lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks). I'm getting married in 1.5 years, and my goal is to be between 120-125, and I feel like I won't ever get there at this rate.

Some more info about my habits: I drink about 50-60 ounces of water a day, I don't drink any caffeine, and I eat a low-carb diet.

Is there anything I could do to amp up my weight loss/change up my routine? Has anybody experienced stalls this early? I've gotten down to 160 before, and every time, I seem to stall and can't get past it. I would love any advice! Thank you so much! :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Your BMR is estimated at about 1540. That's calories your burn without doing anything at all in a day. If you work and are doing T25, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is more likely right around 2000-2200 calories per day. So your deficit may be too high. Try eating your BMR for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    do you weigh your food? log everything you eat? measure liquids?

Do you eat back your exercise calories? If so how many? and how do you calculate those burns?

When I first started I was set to 1380 calories for 1lb a week (which I needed to lose) but I was only losing 1/2 even while doing 30ds...

I started weighing my food and bam...1lb a week.

The only other advice I would give is don't rely on scale weight too much it's very fickle esp for women. Water retention from hormones etc can cause heart ache.

AS well if you are looking to be smaller...skinny and don't mind softness all you really need is a deficet...but if you want lean and small try adding in some resistence training or weight lifting...esp at your height. My sister is 2 inches shorter than you and she weighs 125....and is a size 2...but she is lean...

check out this woman...and you will see what I mean...you don't have to read the blog just look at the pics.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Thanks for the advice!

I don't weight my food, which I probably should. I try to be as accurate as possible though. I do log everything I eat (even if it's just a bite of something!). I measure liquids as best as I can...i.e. I have a water bottle that is 16 ounces and I know the measurements of the glasses that I use.

I also had maybe 2 cheat days since I started, but I go right back to my routine and I didn't go overboard with the cheating.
  • dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    I would say weighing is a good idea. I know I would think in my mind I thought I new what an ounce or a 3 ounce serving was and than I put it on the scale and realize I'm 3 or 4 ounces over. So I would buy one for sure.