Arm Going Numb While Running

Options
Has anyone else had a problem with one arm going numb when they are running? I'm not going very fast. Just 5mph. But my middle, ring, and pinky finger on my right hand go completely numb even if I try to shake them out. My clothing is loose and I've tried different arm positions. I have a heart rate monitor on and it doesn't appear that I am over-stressing my heart. Should I cut down on the running? I'm trying to train for a 5k.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    It's either bad posture, or are you carrying something in your hand/arm while running?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like an upper spine nerve impingement... been there, done that!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about HRM...does it have an arm strap? Chest strap? It could be cutting off circulation somewhere. I only have this problem when I wear my armband instead of waist pouch while running. I have to make sure the armband is loose enough it almost slides down.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor have to say?
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    totally your spine.. do you have neck pain?
  • N3RD0V571CK
    N3RD0V571CK Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sonds like the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. Probably not directly related to running, just exacerbated by it (arm position etc...). I had the same symptoms but not from running.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a trapped nerve? Maybe check with your doctor!
  • DaniellaSP
    DaniellaSP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your ulnar nerve is being compressed, maybe due to an arm band has someone mentioned, or entrapped if you are rounding and elevating your shoulders too much. I think a trainer already mentioned your posture. If you are able, go to a physical therapist to access your gait (the way your are running) and posture. You do not want this to get worse. I hope this helps.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get that same thing but I'm a smoker...when I quit for a week it stops.It is circulation for sure not sure why ask a Dr. I think mine is caused from smoking though I start and quit so many times hard for me to tell...I also know I have a pinched nerve that bothers me at times especially in my neck
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything on your arm, wrist or hand. For example, when I use my HRM the watch is on my wrist, if it is too tight it might bother me. Perhaps your watch band is too tight, or even if you have a ring on your hand as your hands swell during exercising it's cutting off your circulation?
    I had a similar issue but with my legs and it was because my running shoes weren't big enough, so when I exercised and my feet swelled the circulation was cut off causing my legs to feel as if they were asleep. I fixed that issue with a larger pair of shoes.

If that might not be the case for you I'd contact a doctor to be safe.
  • fhorn813
    fhorn813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It might be just bad posture. I'm not carrying anything and my chest strap is on pretty loosely. I may need to get someone to watch me run and tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I have seen the doctor about it and he put me through a stress test to rule out heart issues. Everything seemed fine, so he just left it at that and said if it really bothers me, stop running. If this is fixable I'd rather continue though. It feels great otherwise.

How do you find out if it's a nerve issue? That sounds like it would be more permanent. This only happens when I run.
  • jadedpixee
    Options
    could it be carpal tunnel syndrome ? I have that, and it goes all the way to my elbow, so any real movement of arms, if your swinging them a lot or balling fists while running, could cause this.. don't have to just be moving the wrist for it to act up. If you have had a job where you have worked with hands a lot, home makers, and people who have spent a lot of time typing are more likely to get it. even at a young age. the dr told me 3 years ago I was only 4 points away from surgery even though I was only in mid twenties.. that my generation grew up typing and typed not just for work, but recreation and that it caused even older teens and early twenties to be diagnosed with this type of nerve condition. correction does not always require surgery.. you should ask your dr. there are spots on the wrist that they can tap on firmly and if fingers go numb or tingle.. they pretty much know even before the nerve conduction study.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are your fingers getting swollen? Are you drinking enough water? I've had painful swollen fingers from walking around. It's like all the fluid in my body had pooled into my fingers.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my arm going numb if I roll my shoulders forward. I pinch the nerve, and hand goes numb. Be sure you are keeping your shoulders back, and your not leaning forward as you run see if that helps. :happy:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This would be a great question of your physician not MFP, but since you're here...

Pinched Nerve in neck, Herniated disc in your neck, Carpal (unlikely, but...), bad posture, you have a tourniquet on your arm, you have parasites, it's all in your head...

Really, the options are endless.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It might be just bad posture. I'm not carrying anything and my chest strap is on pretty loosely. I may need to get someone to watch me run and tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I have seen the doctor about it and he put me through a stress test to rule out heart issues. Everything seemed fine, so he just left it at that and said if it really bothers me, stop running. If this is fixable I'd rather continue though. It feels great otherwise.

How do you find out if it's a nerve issue? That sounds like it would be more permanent. This only happens when I run.
    Is your arm swing exaggerated? Are your shoulders slumped forward when you run? A rounded upper back is a reason why people get nerve impingement in their neck, shoulders and arms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fhorn813
    fhorn813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This would be a great question of your physician not MFP, but since you're here...

Pinched Nerve in neck, Herniated disc in your neck, Carpal (unlikely, but...), bad posture, you have a tourniquet on your arm, you have parasites, it's all in your head...

My doctor somewhat blew me off about this once he ruled out major heart issues. I am looking for a new one, but I figured there might be runners on here who had experienced this. It sounds more and more like bad posture. I do lean forward when running, so I will have to try fixing that tonight and see what happens. But I will have to watch for parasites :-p
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    PLEASE GET CHECKED BY THE DOCTOR

My 37 year old partner had the same symptoms last Summer, he persisted with his running for a couple of months assuming he was just raising his arms too much or not breathing deeply enough to oxygenate his blood properly and thought nothing of it until one day in August when he felt really breathless too and had to stop running and walk the rest of his route. He still felt rough the following morning, checked the NHS website's symptom checker and ended up in hospital for 4 days, upon admission they suspected asthma but it was found to be more serious and he'd actually had a minor heart attack. Further investigations and an angiogram found an almost blocked artery which was fixed in Feb this year with the insertion of a stent. He's gradually returned to fitness and has built up to running a mile with the aim of getting back to 5ks.

I'm not saying this is what's happening to you but at just 37 and at the lightest and fittest he'd been for years it came as a complete bolt from the blue. What is now a minor irritation could be the signs of something more serious or it could just be something trivial which you will stop worrying about once you have the comfort that it's nothing to worry about.

Sorry - after posting I've just seen your post about having had heart issues ruled out. I'm pleased to see that but will leave my post up in case other readers have not got checked out.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't run, I just walk but this happens to me too with both hands. It helps if I carry a wash cloth and pass it from one hand to the other from time to time.

I don't smoke or wear an arm band. I do have a very low, normal blood pressure. Don't know if that's part of the issue or not.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

My doctor somewhat blew me off about this once he ruled out major heart issues. I am looking for a new one, but I figured there might be runners on here who had experienced this. It sounds more and more like bad posture. I do lean forward when running, so I will have to try fixing that tonight and see what happens. But I will have to watch for parasites :-p

Now that would piss me off, to be blunt. Good for finding a new doc.

My hands were going numb simply by existing. Carpal, right? Went to doc, they moved my neck and squished on my head and my whole arms went numb... I have 3 bulging discs in my neck, it's not carpal. It took them 5 seconds to figure that out and send me to a neurosurgeon.

FYI, I'm a million times better from PT and opted not to have surgery. Posture and proper exercise is remarkable :)