I have a REALLY sweet tooth which im trying to get rid of

but i have sugar cravings about 9-10pm every night

any help how to keep them at bay?

your help is much appreciated

Replies

• Patrieka
    Options
    Great question.

I have the same craving at night. Hopefully we can get some good advice!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    I have a REALLY sweet tooth which im trying to get rid of

but i have sugar cravings about 9-10pm every night

any help how to keep them at bay?

your help is much appreciated

Berries have the least amount of sugars, and they also have anti-oxidants. Have some berries with a bit of non-fat Greek yogurt or non-fat cottage cheese 1-1.5 hours before bedtime. Another thing you can do is go to bed earlier than the time you know you'll get sugar cravings.

My nutritionist also recommended dark chocolate. ONE PIECE, no more than that, and certainly not every day.
  • kittyscousin2
    Options
    I did a liquid diet last year that allowed for no food at all. To control my sugar cravings, I used Orbit peppermint gum. It gave me the feeling of "chewing" and the sweet taste of sugar. Also, when you start craving, get your mind onto something else fast. Sometimes, a short walk, or working on a project or something will make you forget. (I also used 6 oz of Diet Coke as a craving stopper when I needed to.)
  • hchristine
    Options
    I usually have sugar free jello...with 5 calorie redi-whip on top. It works for me :) I think about 15 calories total.
  • Lacrimosa
    Options
    Hey,
    I have these too.. Unfortunately I have to say that the only thing to do is to stay away from sugary stuff, from what I've found out after years of investigation and councelling from doctors. The more sweet things you eat, the bigger cravings you'll get!
    If you try (really hard, I know) to stay away from sugar for a couple of days, then you'll also discover your cravings decreasing! But they will never completely vanish, so it's probably a fight for the rest of your life.... It's been so hard for me to stay on track, but you just gotta get up everytime you "fall". ;)
    And always keep in mind where the biggest joy lies - in the taste of that Mars bar in your hands, or in fitting those size 6 jeans perfectly! ;)
  • patricepeop
    patricepeop Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of sugar free dark chocolate or some frozen cool whip! It helps:)
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i am having the same problem but at a different ime...I ate a small piece of dark chocolate and it helped me get over the hurdle...

best of luck!

Chelsea
  • lrk93101
    lrk93101 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find on days that I'm able to keep my protein over 100g and my carbs under 100g, those cravings GO AWAY! I know it's hard to believe, but try it for a couple of days and see if it works for you. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Last year we did a sugar challenge. Lots of good info came out. One thing I learned from a diabetic is that our bodies normally stop producing insulin from 10PM to 3AM.

I've seen enough threads and comments here over the years to know that must be true. It would explain why so many of us crave carbs and specifically sugar around the same time.

My doctor once suggested to be in bed by 10PM (for other reasons.) I naturally am a night owl and would prefer bed time to be 1AM. But I do eat or crave carbs late night. Something to think about.

Here are those old threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74303-sugar-is-not-your-friend-january-challenge
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/144186-sugar-is-not-your-friend-part-2