Heavy lifting moms!

Options
I'm a working mom with an 11-month old, just starting to get back into the heavy lifting and eating healthy routine again. Even though I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, my body composition is totally different and I need some "toning up" aka muscle definition! I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 as I like the simplicity and the fast workout (during my lunch break at work). Any other heavy lifting mammas out there? Would love to hear from you, how you keep up with your routine and stay on track? Whether you are a SAHM, WAHM or a working momma... You Rock!

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I love Stronglifts too, I'm still doing a very similar work out. Right now I'm training for a mountain bike race so my lifting has kind of taken a hit, but ideally I'd go twice a week, once during the week in the evening after dinner, and once on weekends. My gym has a daycare.

You're body composition will improve just with lifting and eating at a slight deficit, just give it some time. Once you get rid of most of the fat you'd like to, you could consider going on a bulk which will add muscle (and fat) but that's up to you and can be hard to do mentally.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    does it count that my "baby" is almost 20?...he requires almost as much as a toddler...I do work (at a job but at home a lot) so I have an added benefit of being able to do it when I want most days. I stay on track using this thread as a motivator

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

I have been at the same program for almost 7months and I couldn't believe the changes (I am finally at prepregnancy weight but smaller than I was then)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    stay at home mum here, using the afternoon nap times to lift 4x during the week. 2x light jog over the park (hate dat cardio ting) on the weekends, when the other half can focus on the little miss.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 month old, too! He will be one on 5/17. <3 I also have a 5 year old.
    I really need to get back to strength training. I mean... I am going to go home tonight after work and I WILL lift heavy weights. I like to lift things up and put them down. I bugged my husband for weeks to put up a pull up bar... it is so BA. But... I am soooo scared of it. I know I will have to start off just hanging from it.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 month old, too! He will be one on 5/17. <3 I also have a 5 year old.
    I really need to get back to strength training. I mean... I am going to go home tonight after work and I WILL lift heavy weights. I like to lift things up and put them down. I bugged my husband for weeks to put up a pull up bar... it is so BA. But... I am soooo scared of it. I know I will have to start off just hanging from it.

Mine will be one on 6/2 :) I do have to say it wasn't easy getting back on the fitness wagon post-baby. I spent more time talking about starting then actually doing it! I have a gym in my office (I literally walk by it to use the bathroom) and I had gym clothes sitting in my cube for months! I finally put them to good use and I plan to stick with it. I find that if you stop thinking about it and actually do it, it's not so bad and it becomes routine :)
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Mine just turned one last month.

before he came into my life, i was at the gym every day. rest days were non existent. i had a set lifting schedule that i never swayed from, and even had it planned around my vacations, so my rest weeks would fall just right.

it took me about 2 months after he was born to find enough energy to go back, and i think i only made a couple times a week, and it was only for a few weeks, until his sleeping schedule changed... again. having a non-helpful so dint help matters either.

it is hard to find a routine that you can stick to. i tried doing things at home a lot and never made it work. i found my best time to go to the gym was always super early, when no one could sway me in another direction. it seems no matter what you are always feeling like you are choosing your health over your time with your child. but, an hour a day is worth it if you think he/she will benefit from your life and learn from you.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I work from home so i go to my gym during lunch and do my heavy lifting there. I love it! Deadlifts are my favorite.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 and a 4 year old, and also do the stronglifts 5x5. I work so I go to the gym on my lunch, if not for that I don't know if I would be able to go to the gym. Between school work, dinner, etc. I love working out but find it hard to keep my diet in check. Still working on that.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm just thinking about starting to do heavy lifting, how heavy (and what kind of lifting) did you all start out with?