Elliptical or Treadmill?

Options
I'm looking to burn a bunch of calories every afternoon when I go to the gym. Currently I'm doing the elliptical for 30 minutes burning roughly 500 calories. I haven't tried the treadmill yet, not sure which one would be better. Any advice?

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because it's low-impact. You can burn just as hard as running on a treadmill, but your knees won't be paying the price in the long-run.
  • katharine1980
    katharine1980 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical because it's low-impact. You can burn just as hard as running on a treadmill, but your knees won't be paying the price in the long-run.

I agree. Elliptical is better for your knees and back, and less weight bearing. You can burn just as much doing the elliptical, as you would the treadmill/
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do both, but i started out mainly treadmill. Went from walking to running on the thing and gradually increased my endurance. I found a whole new level of fitness when i switched to elliptical! I feel more in control of the effort i expend and actually go much harder on the elliptical. This all depends on your fitness goal, but mine is weightloss and i want to get the most "burn" for my time. I now use the treadmill if i'm pressed for time and i do interval training on that (2 minutes at just below my max followed by 2 minutes at a nice "jog" to recover and repeat the cycle for 30 minutes) but my go to is one hour "fat burn" program on the elliptical. I love it because i'm gassed at the end but feel strong throughout. I'm checking my fitness level against once a week road runs and i'm seeing steady improvement on those runs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Better? Better for what? Just do whatever you enjoy and will stick to.

PS - there is 0% chance that you burn 500 calories in 30 mins on the elliptical. I only mention this to warn you against possible overeating due to overestimated exercise calories.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical.
  • MrsHollingsworthThomas
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts that I prefer the elliptical b/c it is low impact.
    I've also found that, for me, I get a better work out on the elliptical b/c I can push myself harder (I think BECAUSE it is low impact)
    If I use the treadmill, I would have to literally jog/run to burn the amount of calories I burn on elliptical; and I can't jog for 30 minutes straight, but I can go pretty hard on the elliptical for 30 minutes straight without 'hurting'.
  • Isabel_Fit93
    Options
    I find the elliptical is a lot easier, but the treadmill burns more calories. I guess that makes perfect sense though. The harder you work out, the more you're going to burn!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The barbell
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I MUCH prefer the elliptical to the treadmill. Instead of using a treadmill, I usually head outside for a walk or run. I actively HATE using a treadmill and avoid it at all costs. But that's just personal preference. :)
  • cscruggs1991
    cscruggs1991 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

PS - there is 0% chance that you burn 500 calories in 30 mins on the elliptical. I only mention this to warn you against possible overeating due to overestimated exercise calories.

I'm just going off what the elliptical is telling me I burn everytime. Not sure how accurate they are
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical but i have never given the treadmill a chance because i just can't jog.

I also want to say THERE IS NO WAY you are burning 500kcal in 30mins, beware of overeating! Buy a heart rate monitor for a more close accurate reading
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do both, usually treadmill at lunch and elliptical for cardio after weight training. But my first choice is treadmill - my feet and arms tend to "fall asleep" on an elliptical (could mean I'm doing something wrong)

I have burned over 500 cal on a treadmill in 30 mins (set the incline pretty high with a moderate speed), but haven't come close to that on an elliptical
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^^This!!!^^^
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

I'm just going off what the elliptical is telling me I burn everytime. Not sure how accurate they are
    Not very accurate. Probably 15% plus too high

ETA : A heart rate monitor with a chest strap will give a more accurate reading.
  • JnK619
    JnK619 Posts: 320
    Options
    I do a combo for 30min. sometimes I'll start with 10-15 on elliptical then switch to finish 15-20 on treadmill or some similar combo
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

highly inaccurate.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Machines (and MFP) use estimates. Calorie burn depends upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more. If you plug a bunch of data into the machine the estimate gets a little better. Heart rate monitors (with a chest strap) are better for cardio because they compare your resting heart rate against your heart rate while working out. That number is the estimation for exertion level. Even a HRM is an estimate.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am an elliptical fan, and save running for outdoors.

My main point is to make sure that you are entering all of the information (age/weight) correctly on the treadmill to get your burn. I think mine does pretty well. I am around 240 lbs and when I do 15-20 min (including cool down) of "Fat Burn" program, I am at right around 260-280. However, I guess if you were really going after it and the absolute highest resistance, you may get close, but 500 does seem a bit high.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical but i have never given the treadmill a chance because i just can't jog.

I also want to say THERE IS NO WAY you are burning 500kcal in 30mins, beware of overeating! Buy a heart rate monitor for a more close accurate reading

I think the amount of calories burned really depends on the intensity, your weight, the resistance, and how fast you're moving. I agree though, a good heart rate monitor would help... :)
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is better for your core if you don't use the handles. If you do then it gives your arms a work out as well. I always go with the elliptical.