Traveling Munchies

Options
I find myself traveling a lot and always stopping at fast food chains. I cannot seem to eat healthy while traveling and it always ruins my progress. Has any one figured out what works best when traveling? I'm talking about eating better at fast food chains or any other ideas that may help. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Replies

• Chillem
    Chillem Posts: 40
    Options
    Travel in Denmark ;) They sell only organic bread and meat (delicious!!! but really expensive) and they have a lot of "fast food" places that serve healthy food, like my favourite chilimili

http://www.chilimili.dk/cms.ashx/da/restauranter/chilimili

don't know if you have places like this in the us.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If I wait till I'm really hungry... I don't use good judgement. I try to keep a banana, or some trail mix in the car with me. When I nibble, I am less likely to go bonkers on fast food. McDonalds regular burger is only 260 cals. Also, if you're going to choose a chicken sandwich, make sure it has been grilled, not fried. But, the one thing you will get, when you order fast food is lots of sodium. Sodium really sabatoges my diet. Good luck... I love Burger King, but I plan my whole day when I know I will indulge, so I can balance the rest of the day out.
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    I think the best possible strategy is to avoid the fast food altogether. If you must eat on the road pack a cooler with some fruit crackers, string cheese or other healthy snack. MAybe pack some water, juice, whatever. You'll save $ too. =)
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    A few days a week I spend driving all over town for about 5 - 8 hours. I pack a lunch with several snacks. I use the bagel thins for my sandwiches, will pack a baggie of raw spinach and dip that in hummus, nuts, pirates bootey, fruit. I find if I'm prepared like this then I can steer clear of fast food places. If I don't prepare then I will stop at a real grocery store and buy fruit, hummus or other healthier choices.

Hope this helps!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I travel alot as well and fast food is my downfall. Wendys and I have been having an affair for years.....

I keep one of those small "igloo" lunch boxes in my car. I keep in loaded with nuts, tuna packs, fruit , a bottle water or two, and other things. I'll vary the food items periodically to stop from getting bored from eating the same thing over and over. I'll even throw in a few of those refreezable ice packs in there if I have items I want to keep cool.

Keep it right on my passenger seat floor within arm's reach.

I do the same for airline travel except that I keep a few items in my carry on. I also will pack a few things when I'm in hotels or will immediately stop somewhere when I land to pick up a few healthy things to battle the late night munchies.

Works out well for me. It minimalizes my trips to the golden arches.

Shawn
  • dmunoz3
    dmunoz3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted. All the tips help. I feel ready to impliment those ideas and create something that works for me. Really, what I got out of all of the posts is "Prepare"!

Thanks again for the feedback.

David Munoz