Options
PinkyFett
PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
What's the best squash? My thought is zucchini. :bigsmile:

Replies

• psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    You mean to make spaghetti out of? Zucchini. Just make sure you squeeze it well after you boil it to get the water out, unless you use it raw.

Also, actual spaghetti squash with butter and salt & pepper is delicious.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Each has their time. Butternut is great in the winter for soups, yellow squash and zucchini are great on the grill during the summer, and spaghetti squash is great as a side to some sausage.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I eat Spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta. Tastes great with Alfredo or tomato based sauces. I like Zucchini in my salads.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash is my favorite by far - I could eat it daily! I also like zucchini & yellow squash. Haven't tried acorn or spaghetti, but I want to. I only like pumpkin in pie ;-)
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You mean to make spaghetti out of? Zucchini. Just make sure you squeeze it well after you boil it to get the water out, unless you use it raw.

Also, actual spaghetti squash with butter and salt & pepper is delicious.

Yes to.make it. I didn't realize.spaghetti squash was a type.of squash lol
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Ooh spaghetti squash with a splash of olive oil, black pepper, thinly chopped sage, maybe a handful of walnuts and a clove or two of garlic.. YUM.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like squash... period thanks to my dad gorwing too much in the garden while I was little. Four- six months of everything zucchini tends to up your off of squash for a bit.

However, I've been making an effort to slowly incorporate it back into my diet. And I just tried spaghetti squash for the first time the other night! I seasoned it with olive oil, salt and pepper, italian seasoning and a light sprinkle of parmesean cheese before baking it. then made spaghetti and meatballs with it. It was awesome!!! aside from the texture being a bit different than noodles it didn't taste any different than real spaghetti and meatballs. I plan on incorporating it more.
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just discovered spaghetti squash...and I lived my whole life not knowing about it? I am in love with this stuff. I ate it for 10 dinner meals in a row and it really gave my weight loss another jump start.

I love it with lite parmesean sauce (diluted) , mushrooms, broceli and tomatoes.

I am so glad my daughter-en-law told me about this....where have I been all these years lol
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great! I substitute pasta wit it all the time. It looks like pasta and it is super easy to prepare. Cut it length-wise in half, clean out the guts, put about 1/4 cup water in one half and cover with the other half - place in a dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and microwave for 8-10 minutes. Shred squash with a fork and you are good to go! I love it with a meat-marinara sauce and Cesar salad.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    we have spaghetti squash at least once a week instead of pasta - it works with all of the pasta sauces that we have tried and it also re-heats (for lunch the next day) way better than real pasta!

beyond that, I love zucchini and yellow squash grilled with olive oil and a sprinkle of parm is the bomb!
  • ginalovefire
    Options
    I bet spaghetti squash would be awesome topped with pureed cauliflower.

I just made the best ever creamy-licious soup yesterday out of pureed cauliflower. I steamed a head along with a clove of elephant garlic (that I peeled but didn't smash so it stayed on the sweeter side) and then pureed it. O....M.....G was it fabulous. I can't believe how much I loved it. I practically licked the pan.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The kid and I love spaghetti squash - I just prep it in the oven and use a chunky marinara sauce. Butternut and acorn are delicious at Thanksgiving. I also love zucchini (strange - I never get sick of it). Just bought one of those "vegetti" slicers at the cooking store. Love it! It makes the zucchini out to be like a veggie linguine. Both the kid and hubby love it with a hearty tomato sauce.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Kabocha kabocha kabocha!

Like butternut but you can eat the skin! So it is the same PITA to chop up as butternut, but then you're done...slice it, steam or bake the halves and yum eat it skin and all. (for realsies...skin has no taste/rough texture like it looks)

Also called Japanese pumpkin. Looks kinda like acorn but a rounder shape, green on the outside, orange on the inside. It is what they use in some tempura at japanese restaurants.

But to be honest there is no squash i don't like. an amazing vegetable with all its varieties. Kabocha is just extra special. thanks for reminding me - time to plant as much squash as possible :)
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great! I substitute pasta wit it all the time. It looks like pasta and it is super easy to prepare. Cut it length-wise in half, clean out the guts, put about 1/4 cup water in one half and cover with the other half - place in a dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and microwave for 8-10 minutes. Shred squash with a fork and you are good to go! I love it with a meat-marinara sauce and Cesar salad.

I've never heard of this method before - I usually cut in half and then microwave each half separately in a dish with a little water. Seems like this way might work better! I shall give it a try. Thanks!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Kabocha kabocha kabocha!

This! It is sooo delicious (slight hazelnut flavor) and creamy. I like to roast it in a little coconut oil then serve it over some steamed or sautéed greens. Om-nom-nom!

That said, I have never met a squash I didn't like.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd probably choose zucchini as well, but only because it works better on the grill than spaghetti squash, which would be a close second. But summer (yellow) squash and butternut squash are also favorites. I love squash of any kind.
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had never tried that way of cooking it. The only way I have done it, is boil it whole in a pan of water. When it's done cut it in half and pull out the squash with a fork. It comes right out of the skin. (of course I take out the seeds)
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Love making zucchini noodles with my Spiralizer. OP if you're looking for new recipes to try: www.inspiralized.com