i need help

Options
HI everyone ! my name is carla. i joind a few months ago and have only lost 3 lb :cry: . i am in much need of motivation. I am 20 and weigh in at 222 . i just want be able to feel my age. would love get my weight down to 130 , but i cant do it with out help. so plz help me .

Replies

• annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I know how you feel...I will add you now and hopefully we will both achieve our goals!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do you track all of your food? if so, do you know that you are recording correct portion sizes? I follow the site recommendations and lost around 18 pounds in a few months without any exercise (just watching my eating). Something that really helped me is using measuring cups and an electronic food scale to measure out portions.

Another motivation that I've read about and used is to find a picture in a magazine of a body you want and put a picture of your own face on that body. I know it sounds silly, but it really is motivating! ;)
  • withanurgency
    Options
    No worries! At least you've come to the right place. Sometimes all people need is a little motivation. You can do it!
  • dmunoz3
    dmunoz3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey carla. The I know how you feel. The thing to remember, is that it is not going to come quickly but the more you work at it the easier it gets to getting into shape. I stayed the same weight for about a month, never loosing or gaining. But then I started to loose the pounds pretty quickly. Also another thing to remember is that when you gain muscle, you'll gain weight. Muscle is heavier than Fat. So if you loose fat and gain muscle you may get heavier at first before you loose the weight.

David
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend...I have lots of tips!!!
  • carlamorris
    carlamorris Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you track all of your food? if so, do you know that you are recording correct portion sizes? I follow the site recommendations and lost around 18 pounds in a few months without any exercise (just watching my eating). Something that really helped me is using measuring cups and an electronic food scale to measure out portions.

Another motivation that I've read about and used is to find a picture in a magazine of a body you want and put a picture of your own face on that body. I know it sounds silly, but it really is motivating! ;)

thanks for the tips. i think the big thing that was hurting me in the last few months is that i didn't have any one on my friends list to help so i would give up and not track my my food for a day or two now that i have people that can see me giving up i think i will be more motivated to not give up.
  • paragoalie
    Options
    So far what has helped me the most is eating smaller portions more often. I am eating 5 meals around 400 cal a apeice. The body thinks that any food I put in my mouth is a meal, no matter how small and the only time I am hungry is about 10min before my scheduled eating time.

Reason for this is the mind goes into starving mode after 4 hours and starts storing fats and nutriants.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Carla! Log - log - log everything you eat!! Every day! Counting calories is the best way to lose weight. If you don't own a digital food scale, please buy one. I cannot live without mine. Once you start losing on a regular basis, that will help with your motivation!! The biggest rule is to be accountable to yourself by honestly logging everything!

Find an activity that you like to do and start doing it on a regular basis. I started by walking my dogs 20 to 30 minutes a day. Now I still walk them, and I do a Zumba workout at least once a week, and play tennis about once a week.

Once you get started - it's addicting!!

Good luck!! :smile:
  • shellyalbert
    Options
    Carla,
    I was (am) you. I am 27 now, but at 23, I was my heaviest at 213 lbs. I don't think I even really ever understood how heavy I had become. I have always had self-image issues so the weight gain probably slipped right by me.
    I started using myfitnesspal in October on my iPhone and I seriously track everything. You have to be loyal to yourself though. The days where I wasn't entering my food were typically the days where I ended up over-eating a lot!! Don't weigh in every single day either. The scale is just a number. Granted, you don't want a high number, but I know girls that weigh 160 lbs and look absolutely fabulous and I know girls that weigh 160 lbs and look incredibly overweight. Everyone is different.

I have been through about every dieting scheme there is. I am an infomercials dream. But a couple months ago, I decided, this had to be the time I got serious about it. Get some girlfriends that you feel the most comfortable with and the ones that you know will call you out on it if you need it. If you want to feel the best about yourself, then you have to accept honesty all the time, even though sometimes it can be hard to hear. But when that same person who has reminded you to pick up your game, gives you a compliment later-- it means ten times more!

Mainly, don't forget to make yourself feel beautiful during the whole process. It's not going to happen overnight. Set very small goals (especially if you have a hard time losing anything at all!) I struggled with the first 5 lbs so I set a goal that once I lost 3 lbs I would go get a pedicure, then at 5 lbs I would get a massage.... Now I am planning out what to do when I hit my -30lbs goal!! You can totally do it!!!
  • shellyalbert
    Options
    Carla,
    I was (am) you. I am 27 now, but at 23, I was my heaviest at 213 lbs. I don't think I even really ever understood how heavy I had become. I have always had self-image issues so the weight gain probably slipped right by me.
    I started using myfitnesspal in October on my iPhone and I seriously track everything. You have to be loyal to yourself though. The days where I wasn't entering my food were typically the days where I ended up over-eating a lot!! Don't weigh in every single day either. The scale is just a number. Granted, you don't want a high number, but I know girls that weigh 160 lbs and look absolutely fabulous and I know girls that weigh 160 lbs and look incredibly overweight. Everyone is different.

I have been through about every dieting scheme there is. I am an infomercials dream. But a couple months ago, I decided, this had to be the time I got serious about it. Get some girlfriends that you feel the most comfortable with and the ones that you know will call you out on it if you need it. If you want to feel the best about yourself, then you have to accept honesty all the time, even though sometimes it can be hard to hear. But when that same person who has reminded you to pick up your game, gives you a compliment later-- it means ten times more!

Mainly, don't forget to make yourself feel beautiful during the whole process. It's not going to happen overnight. Set very small goals (especially if you have a hard time losing anything at all!) I struggled with the first 5 lbs so I set a goal that once I lost 3 lbs I would go get a pedicure, then at 5 lbs I would get a massage.... Now I am planning out what to do when I hit my -30lbs goal!! You can totally do it!!!
  • carlamorris
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • clutzeemeg
    Options
    130 may not be realistic for your body type, Carla so don't confine yourself to the number game. You may find you feel great at 170 and feel healthy. That may be enough for you. You don't have to look like a barbie! I am heading into 40 at 223lbs - really suggest getting a hold of this monster while in your 20's. Set realistic goals like 1lb a week. My best friend has lost 74lbs (on this site) in large part due to staying consistent to this site. You can do it!
  • carlamorris
    Options
    130 may not be realistic for your body type, Carla so don't confine yourself to the number game. You may find you feel great at 170 and feel healthy. That may be enough for you. You don't have to look like a barbie! I am heading into 40 at 223lbs - really suggest getting a hold of this monster while in your 20's. Set realistic goals like 1lb a week. My best friend has lost 74lbs (on this site) in large part due to staying consistent to this site. You can do it!

yes i know i would be happy to just be 165 . i have done it before so i do know that i look better at around 160 . the thing is i am planing on joining the airforce when i get it off . they want me to be 130 but i can join at 145
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    HI Carla, I am Robin. I have been trying to lose weight for about 4months now, tracking your food and drinking 8 glasses of water a day helps so much, exercising in any way will help too. I have only been on MFP for 2 weeks or so. My first day on it, I learned what I had been doing wrong was my calorie intake and so I am doing better with the help of MFP. Before I would lose pounds one week, gain the next, then I would get discouraged and over eat and resort back to my bad habits that I am trying so hard to beat!! I am better now at least I know my calorie intake, I go to the message board every day to lend support or to find people that interest me to send a friend request too. We are all in it together!! You can do it too!! We are all here if you need a hand, you are not alone!!
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HI everyone ! my name is carla. i joind a few months ago and have only lost 3 lb :cry: . i am in much need of motivation. I am 20 and weigh in at 222 . i just want be able to feel my age. would love get my weight down to 130 , but i cant do it with out help. so plz help me .

I know how you feel. I had always been small (until I started having a family). I went from my smallest, 128 my sophomore year in high school, to a staggering 282 lbs. at my heaviest! I started using MFP in June (I think) and since then, I've lost a lot of weight just by keeping track of what I eat. I started with small goals in January...1 lb. per week and ate what I wanted as long as I stayed under the MFP caloric recommendations. Eventually, I began reducing my sugar and fat intake, and stopped drinking high calorie beverages, switching them out for diet beverages with no calories and water, and fast food. Today, I'm down 42 lbs. which is totally attributed to my weight loss on MFP and my own determination. (The other weight I lost after a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Octob. er.) I'm prouder of the weight loss I did on my own! You can do it!
  • Katz85340
    Options

What Beth said is true! Don't stick to a numbers game! Everyone is different, and what is right for one, may not be right for the other. Staying true to this site is absolutely key to weight loss...in this I mean tracking your food intake and exercise! If you don't track what you eat and drink, the calories sneak up on you quickly! I think most people would be surprised how much they really eat if the tracked their food!
  • Katz85340
    Options

yes i know i would be happy to just be 165 . i have done it before so i do know that i look better at around 160 . the thing is i am planing on joining the airforce when i get it off . they want me to be 130 but i can join at 145

Ask for a pinch test when you weigh in. I was in the military too and have never weighed in according to the military's guidelines. When they did the pinch test, I passed every time!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Carla! I'm 20!!! My starting weight was 223!!! So we have a lot in common to start off with :) How tall are you? I'm 5'10".

Our goals are a little different... mine is 173. It might change when I get there, but I doubt it. I want to get to 173, because 1. Then I can say I lost 50lbs! and 2. I really just want to get to 180, but if I go to 173 I have 7lbs of "buffer" room I really don't care about if I bounce a pound or so around in there. So that's nice.

But yeah, for me 173 is just a number where I think I'll feel comfortable with myself so I'm excited... I'm already over halfway there! And it's been done because of logging and exercising tons more. This website has really helped, a ton.