Who is right?

Options
My husband and I had a disagreement last night. There was a commercial on tv about how chocolate milk is the best post work out drink and made it look like all the 'cool guys' do it LOL! He buys it, I think it's total BS and just an advertising gimmick to sell more chocolate milk. I don't think body builders or even the average health/fitness enthusiast runs for chocolate milk post work out. Who is right?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think you are both sort of right.

A lot of running people/magazines articles will say that it is a good post recovery drink, it has a good balance of protein and carbs (I've heard this for a long time but now chocolate milk is a huge sponsor in triathlon so its a bit more prevelent now). I don't think it is the same for bodybuilding.
    That said, for the average person, post workout nutrition doesn't have a huge effect anyway as long as you are getting your proper nutrition over the day.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that it is the best, but my post workout of choice is milk and protein powder so its really not far off.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've drunk it and liked it when I didn't have access to my Magic Bullet, but it IS a lot of sugar. I'd use chocolate whey powder in my milk, if I was making it at home. Not syrup and cocoa powder and all that sugar.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are bodybuilders who DO drink chocolate milk after a workout. There is no right or wrong answer, everyone has their own method that works for them.

Edited for spelling
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people use it after running or working out. Actually sounds like it would be pretty good after a long run
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best, but it is an excellent recovery beverage for an endurance event...it is a pretty optimal combination of macros. I would say that it is sub-optimal for recovery for lifting unless you were to mix it with a protein powder.

I regularly have chocolate milk after a good longish ride...
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I can't drink milk and it's way too much sugar for me so that's why I had no clue.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My husband drinks milk and chocolate Nesquik sometimes if that counts? He is a long distance road and fell runner.

I guarantee he does not read any healthy living magazines/ads, visit health or fitness food shops or watch ads on TV. He's dyslexic and a highly sceptical misanthrope. But he could have got the idea from someone from his running club who isn't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I can't drink milk and it's way too much sugar for me so that's why I had no clue.

Yeah, when you're grinding out miles in a pair of running shoes or on a bike, sugar ceases to really be an issue and is actually highly beneficial to recovery. On an actual long ride I will consume sugary foods before, during, and after. It is unnecessary though for a basic workout.