**love this** working hard, but not losing? here's why

Options
"I've just started weight training. Despite exercising more and eating better, I've actually gained a little scale weight. What's going on?"

This is a common question, especially from people who have not regularly exercised for an extended period of time.

The most common cause seems to be when you start a new and strenuous exercise program, you actually damage your muscle tissue. To some degree this is a good thing - this damage heals stronger and more resilient than before, which is what causes you to be fitter, stronger and more injury-resistant.

However, when first starting a new program the damage level seems to be higher. And the body responds by causing muscular inflammation, which leads to swelling and fluid retention. This temporary fluid retention can actually result in a 3-4 pound weight gain.

For those who are scientifically inclined, check out this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24471859), which found that people starting a 16 week resistance training program had:

* Total body water increased by about 7.5%;
* Intracellular water increased by about 10%; and
* Muscle mass increased by about 4%.

Lastly, a few other points should also be mentioned.

1) When first starting a resistance training regimen, muscle gain and fluid retention can often equal or outpace fat loss. This makes it appear that you are gaining fat when you are not. Your body composition is improving, and soon your water retention will subside and your fat (and weight) loss will outpace both the muscle gain and water retention.

2) Weight loss is not linear. It comes in fits and starts. You will often go 2-3 weeks without any progress, and then BOOM, 4 lbs are lost. This is incredibly common, and even more so for women. Women tend to have greater fluctuations in weight and fluid status, so fat loss progress can be harder to see and track.

The moral of the story is to keep working hard, eating well and ensuring adequate recovery. Good things will happen, just be patient. -Coach Brian St. Pierre

Replies

• budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    Awesome post.

I hope people can come here instead of creating millions of threads :P
  • hsauter78
    hsauter78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This was helpful...I started working out and was at a stand still for 3 weeks! It makes sense now.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Very good one!

WHich is why I am a firm believer that the best way to track your progress is not through the scales but with TAPE MEASURE

THe scales said I was at 108 when I decided to lose the extra fat I put since moving to the US. (I just want to fit into my old clothes)

The lowest I have recorded is 101, two days ago, it was 105.

But my waistline shrunk from 27 to 24.5, hips from 37 to 34, thighs to 21 to 19.5!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Here's another thread on the subject from a while back which has a lot of good information :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    Very good one!

WHich is why I am a firm believer that the best way to track your progress is not through the scales but with TAPE MEASURE

THe scales said I was at 108 when I decided to lose the extra fat I put since moving to the US. (I just want to fit into my old clothes)

But my waistline shrunk from 27 to 24.5, hips from 37 to 34, thighs to 21 to 19.5!

Hmm, very good point

I have never measured myself.... I'm thinking I should start!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

Doubtful lol, people will just keep posting new threads...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

Doubtful lol, people will just keep posting new threads...

Well, sometimes some people try to ask similar questions in a thread someone else started, then these people were told "not to hijack the thread; start your own". go figure...you see it's not always just one side of the story is told...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    actually I think I just sort of hijacked the tread myself...

:flowerforyou: to OP. thank you for the info.
  • ashleylynn39
    ashleylynn39 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Very good one!

Hmm, very good point

I have never measured myself.... I'm thinking I should start!

totally agree!!! I've lost more inches than weight!
  • Trad_Barbie
    Trad_Barbie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    2) Weight loss is not linear. It comes in fits and starts. You will often go 2-3 weeks without any progress, and then BOOM, 4 lbs are lost. This is incredibly common, and even more so for women. Women tend to have greater fluctuations in weight and fluid status, so fat loss progress can be harder to see and track.

Story. Of. My. Life.
    So I remind myself of this and just keep away from that scale save for my weigh-in every 5~7 days.