Veggies That "Don't Count"

Options
FlaxMilk
FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
Spin-off from another thread. I grew up at a time when numerous veggies were considered "not veggies." Corn, potatoes, even peas and carrots. Does anyone know the official reasoning for what makes them "not veggies?" (I'm not sure if that's still the case or how prevalent it is anymore.)

(I eat them all and don't see any as bad. But I unconsciously don't count my potatoes and corn as veggies even though I know better.)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    corn is the only one I don't mentally count as real food- because well- if it's whole when it comes out- I am pretty sure my body didn't use it for anything.

That being said- I still log it. LOL
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    what do you count them as then? I track and log all foods that I eat.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mostly because of the high starch and sugar content in these foods. They are closer to carbs then veggies
  • hibou_89
    hibou_89 Posts: 14
    Options
    Corn is a cereal, not a veggie.
  • tfatone
    tfatone Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on isagenics and no corn peas carrots only leafy greens. Carrots have too much sugar
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What I have in mind is the opposite

Tomatoes and avocadoes are actually fruits but usually thought of as veggies
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    corn is the only one I don't mentally count as real food- because well- if it's whole when it comes out- I am pretty sure my body didn't use it for anything.

Yup, I don't count corn for that reason.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options

LOVE IT! HAHAHAHA! :laugh:

Seriously though, I log everything I eat, even if it's 1/2 tsp of butter on my chicken. I don't worry about whether it's a vegetable, fruit, meat, I just log it all.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Bahahaha I never thought about it like that....

I personally log all those listed.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Spin-off from another thread. I grew up at a time when numerous veggies were considered "not veggies." Corn, potatoes, even peas and carrots. Does anyone know the official reasoning for what makes them "not veggies?" (I'm not sure if that's still the case or how prevalent it is anymore.)

(I eat them all and don't see any as bad. But I unconsciously don't count my potatoes and corn as veggies even though I know better.)

Could it be because peas and corn are both seeds and potatoes and carrots are roots?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Corn and potatoes are a lot higher in calories than other vegetables, and they're some of the only veggies that I actually log because of that, but I still see them as healthy veggies. Potatoes are FULL of potassium, fibre, vitamins, and are just plain yummy. There definitely is a divide there though, between those foods and other vegetables. It might be that they've been part of the American dinnerplate for so long that they've gone from 'vegetable' status to something more? IDK really, just as confused as you!

P.S. I like to believe that I use the corn, but the outside skin part is what gets left behind on the digestive journey lol.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain and peas (and green beans) are legumes.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I've always said you can't eat corn, you can only borrow it.

I put everything down, even if the calories are negligible. This is just a great way for me to have an educated idea of portions and what I'm putting into my body.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Corn the form we eat is an immature grain
    peas are immature seeds...
    but i cannot see why they wouldnt count as a vegetable, though we frequently will not serve a grain , like rice or pasta with corn, since corn already is the "grain" and i make a second "actual" vegetable..
    but then you are talking to someone who cooks 3-4 bags of frozen vegetables for her kids for dinner... unlesses its brussels sprouts then its like 5!!! lol
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Corn is technically a grain... http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/corn-october-grain-of-the-month
    Peas are legumes which are beans... http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-beans-peas.html
    Carrots and potatoes are roots but still considered vegetable. Just root vegetables. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_root_vegetables

Potatoes are very high in carbohydrates and carrots high in sugar which makes them kind of bottom of the list when you're looking for "good" veggie options. If you're in love with root veggies there are "healthier" options like sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips...

Is that what you're thinking?
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Most people I know who don't count corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and peas as veggies do so because:

too high in calories
    too high in starches
    too much sugar

I know others who feel like the "white" veggies don't count - onions, mushrooms, potatoes, even celery for whatever reason.

Usually their reasoning goes back to some crazy fad diet or something like that and no real science behind their thoughts.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Potatoes are very high in carbohydrates and carrots high in sugar which makes them kind of bottom of the list when you're looking for "good" veggie options. If you're in love with root veggies there are "healthier" options like sweet potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips...

Is that what you're thinking?

It's funny you mention the sugar content of carrots - if you look up carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnips, per 100 grams, I believe they each have approximately 5 grams of sugar, yet the sweet potatoes and parsnips have almost double the amount of calories. Carrots being too high in sugar is a common argument I hear for why they don't count as veggies, but in reality, they've just been given a bum rap.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far! To clarify, I do log everything; I just work on getting as many servings of veggies as possible (fruit is no problem because I love it so I don't concern myself with how many portions I've had.) I'll check out that link.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    what do you count them as then? I track and log all foods that I eat.

I think they fall into this random void category, to be honest. I always heard that the starch makes them "not count." So I guess they fall into the treat category? There's nothing logical about it, I know.