Special K Diet

Options
:smile: Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the 2 week Special K Challenge, and how much success you have/have not had with it?
I was considering using it to springboard my weight loss plan, but obviously don't want to try if it's useless!

Thanks in advance,

Tamara!

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "spring board" weight loss. I was tempted by things like this when I was first starting out, but all you need is to eat at a calorie deficit, which is a lot less miserable than having to stick with a fad diet for two weeks.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Short-term diet plans don't work. Just start eating healthy now. No need to buy a bunch of useless products.
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    Yeah, I've never followed a real diet. I just count my in/out and monitor my nutrient needs.

I am a huge fan of special K in the morning for breakfast, but honestly, eating one thing with every meal sounds boring as hell. I can only imagine cravings shooting through the roof like that.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I tried to do it, but gave up after a few days. Too restrictive since you are eating "Special K" products most of the day. I have found through much trial and error just eating a normal diet with all kinds of food, drinking water, exercising & logging everything I have been able to lose much more than any diet fad. Try just figuring you BMR and using that as your calorie goal. If you exercise eat back all or just 1/2 of the calories. Good luck with whatever you decide!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend anything but a calorie deficiency. The thing about jump starting weight loss is if your body isn't ready to let go of the fat then it won't do it regradless of any jump start effort. Whatever you do to lose weight should be something you do for the rest of your life. With that in mind, why not just start the right way now? If you are not planning to restrict your foods to only Special K forever then why waste your money on it now. This is a free link that will be far more beneficial overall than any Special K plan:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I think the Special K diet is a fantastic advertising strategy. Tell people you can make them lose 6 lbs in two weeks, and you sell a bunch of products to women (mostly) that fall for it.

Can you lose weight on the Special K diet? Yes, if you're eating at a caloric deficit. But you can get the same results by eating the same amount of calories but absolutely no Special K products.

Special K cereals and bars are delicious, but they're all filled with sugar. Their snack/meal bars are just processed junk. I'm not saying you should never eat Special K products, but moderation is key. Eating nothing but Special K for two weeks is a horrible idea. By the end of it, you'll never want to eat that stuff again.

Just stick to the old fashioned way, eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. Simple. No quick fixes, no fad diets, no marketing ploys. Eat what you like, just count your calories and stay within your limit. Weight loss does not require a jump start, cleanse, detox, or anything else like that.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Temporary diet = temporary results.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Special K diet are good if you want good tasting snacks.

However as for weight loss? I doubt it. The Special K products that I have tried (for snack) dont have high satiety but are loaded with calories. To lose fat/weight, you can do create a caloric deficit -- and to achieve that easily, you'll have to eat food with high satiety without "starving" your body with calories.

You'll have to find the right macronutrient ratio for you while in calorie deficit
  • fredman2
    fredman2 Posts: 57
    Options
    Here is the one thing to consider:
    I have seen commercials for Special K, and Cheerios, claiming to drop your cholesterol, weight, etc. but here is how this happens: If you eat Special K or Cheerios, chances are you are NOT eating something 'bad' that you would normally be eating.

Special K and Cheerios may be good for you in some respects, taking the place of sausage, bacon and eggs is one of them.
  • tamarajune
    tamarajune Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've convinced me to steer clear of Special K-related challenges, ha ha!
    I guess it would just be healthier and more sustainable if I do it the good old-fashioned way!
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that their sales have decrease by 27% and their 100 cal snacks by 62%. They are gimmicky and people are wising up to what eating healthy really is- and its not just one bowl of cereal!

stick to a calorie deficit and fill your body with good, healthy, whole, nutrient dense foods that will make you feel good!
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have seen commercials for Special K, and Cheerios, claiming to drop your cholesterol, weight, etc. but here is how this happens: If you eat Special K or Cheerios, chances are you are NOT eating something 'bad' that you would normally be eating.

Special K and Cheerios may be good for you in some respects, taking the place of sausage, bacon and eggs is one of them.

Debatable. Replacing cereal with sausage, bacon and eggs is the way to go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I eat sausage/bacon and eggs on a regular basis - much more filling and satisfying than anything Special K has to offer! And I've been successful losing the fat while enjoying my bacon, eggs and toast!
    Thanks everyone, you've convinced me to steer clear of Special K-related challenges, ha ha!
    I guess it would just be healthier and more sustainable if I do it the good old-fashioned way!
    Yay! :drinker: Good plan!
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Boring boring boring and not filling whatsoever.

One plus - I recommend the Special K Oats & Honey cereal with warm milk. :flowerforyou:

But the diet, naaaaah. Simply watch your calories and exercise a bit more, you'll be MUCH less likely to fall off the wagon. No need whatsoever to 'kick start' with a diet with rules and restrictions! Make your own rules just stick within your calories. That's the secret. :bigsmile:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the plan where you are supposed to replace 2 of your meals every day with a serving on Special K?

Any diet that facilitates a calorie deficit (which the Special K does) will "work" if by work you mean help you lose weight. However, very often the Special K diet encourages too high of a calorie deficit, which makes the diet pretty much impossible to sustain long term. Plus, it's just plain boring to eat that stuff for 66% of your diet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I could do the same thing with Flaming Cheetos FYI
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I could do the same thing with Flaming Cheetos FYI

That is a diet I could get on board with!
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i knew people in college who would turn their noses up at real cooked food and eat cereal 3 or more times a day... i never did get that.

special k is fine in the morning but ive discovered its not the healthiest, most low cal option out there... so ive abandoned it for other cereals.

http://cereal.findthebest.com/saved_search/Low-Calorie-Cereal
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Tell people you can make them lose 6 lbs in two weeks, and you sell a bunch of products to women (mostly) that fall for it.

Tell people it'll regrow thinning hair, and then the men will fall for it, too.