30 Day Shred?!

Today is day one of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred..

About half way through, I had to take a 2 minute break she strongly says not too, but the arches in my feet started spasming severely. Will it still work if I have to take a break for a few minutes? I am new to the working out thing, so I am just curious.

After I finished I feel extremely dizzy and light headed. Is this normal if I am not used to hardcore workouts?

Please no bashing or rude people. I am looking for supportive advice not harsh remarks. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Jillian Michaels kicks your *kitten* no question. You can rest and yes it'll still work. Maybe try repeating a day or it may take a few days longer than 30 days. But you'll still get results even taking a short break.

As for the dizziness.. sounds like you ran out of steam. You need more fuel. Get in some good carbs to give you the energy you need for each workout. Cramps are usually caused from dehydration. Drink more water. Try coconut water as it has a lot of electrolytes and potassium that will also help with cramping. After a hard workout try a protien shake made with a banana and coconut water. Make sure to fuel up with a good diet to get you ready for your next workout. Also - stretch well before and after each workout
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Will it still work if I have to take a break for a few minutes?

If you mean will it work for fat loss, yes. Your body burns almost the same amount of fuel whether you break up exercise sessions or not.

Extreme dizziness isn't good. Make sure to eat a meal with carbs 1-2 hours before. If that doesn't help, you might need to try an easier workout.

For the arch pain, try this stretch hourly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg
  • MissMegannLee
    MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
    Thank you!

What are some foods that have "good carbs" in them? I need to start eating healthier foods, but I am never sure what carbs are good and which are not. :/
  • MissMegannLee
    Will it still work if I have to take a break for a few minutes?

If you mean will it work for fat loss, yes. Your body burns almost the same amount of fuel whether you break up exercise sessions or not.

Extreme dizziness isn't good. Make sure to eat a meal with carbs 1-2 hours before. If that doesn't help, you might need to try an easier workout.

For the arch pain, try this stretch hourly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg

Thank you for the video and helpful advice! I appreciate it bunches.
  • holliehatesyou
    holliehatesyou Posts: 85 Member
    Doing anything is better than doing nothing! Taking a break when you first start out is completely normal and common. I believe when Jillian says "rest no longer than a few seconds," she wants that to be the goal you work up to -- you don't have to be able to do that as a beginner.

I have been doing Jillian workouts for several years, and I always have a big glass of water that I stop and drink from periodically. Always.
  • pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Totally agree with the other ladies - a short break is fine - you'll soon find you improve!
  • MissMegannLee
    Thanks everyone! That makes me feel a little better. (:
  • sayhitoshari
    sayhitoshari Posts: 7 Member
    Im on day 13 I just started level 2 a few days ago. When I started I was also having to take quick breaks, I just did before and after shots today of my back and even with me being a total exersize newbie, I'm seeing results already.
  • MissMegannLee
    Im on day 13 I just started level 2 a few days ago. When I started I was also having to take quick breaks, I just did before and after shots today of my back and even with me being a total exersize newbie, I'm seeing results already.

That is super comforting! I am hoping to see results too. I'm not sure if I should just stick to level 1 or at like day 15 go to level 2. I'm still pretty undecided about the levels. Haha.
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    I just finished Level 2 today and it was exhausting! I take five-second breathers quite a few times on that one...maybe a little more than Level 1. But I try to do something while I'm taking that breather. For example, if I need a break during the double jump rope (although I do single to follow the modifier), I may march in place and/or drink water. If doing plank jacks or plank twists, I just drop into child's pose (yoga) for those few seconds.

I've gone up a couple of pounds since starting the Shred, partly because I have now just decided to get serious about my diet again, but I have noticed that my clothes are starting to feel a little looser and that I don't look as large-chested. The biggest thing is to never just stop moving, but I realize that may not be sustainable with your foot issues.

Good luck!!
  • MissMegannLee
    I just finished Level 2 today and it was exhausting! I take five-second breathers quite a few times on that one...maybe a little more than Level 1. But I try to do something while I'm taking that breather. For example, if I need a break during the double jump rope (although I do single to follow the modifier), I may march in place and/or drink water. If doing plank jacks or plank twists, I just drop into child's pose (yoga) for those few seconds.

I've gone up a couple of pounds since starting the Shred, partly because I have now just decided to get serious about my diet again, but I have noticed that my clothes are starting to feel a little looser and that I don't look as large-chested. The biggest thing is to never just stop moving, but I realize that may not be sustainable with your foot issues.

Good luck!!

Thank you!! I try to keep moving still, marching, or walking in place, sometimes I pause it and walk away to get a drink and just breath. I just started and today will be day two. Hopefully I can do it. Haha.
  • CealR
    CealR Posts: 33 Member
    Hey! Glad to hear you're trying the Shred - I just finished it early this month and now I'm experimenting with alternating Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones, which are much longer workouts. I kinda miss being in and out in 20 minutes, but that's what Ripped In 30 is for (yes, she's got another one if you like the Shred!)

If you're feeling dizzy, make sure you have something to eat before doing it. Not immediately before, since you'll risk nausea and stomach cramping, but you don't want to be doing this on an empty stomach. I don't care what some exercise scientist cooked up in a lab as an experiment, exercising without fuel is a good way to feel sick, dizzy and generally hate life. Have a light to medium meal somewhere between 40 to 60 minutes before you exercise. Also, don't be afraid to sip a little coffee - the caffeine actually helps you get through the workout and the inevitable muscle soreness afterwards (please note, I'm not talking about slamming back three red-eyes. Just a simple, humble cup of coffee, about 200mg worth of caffeine).

Also, I don't care what the marketing says - you don't want to try to complete this program in 30 days. That's a good way to burn out. Play with it and find a rhythm that works for you - I found that two days on, one day off was a good pattern for me. Just keep in mind that your day off doesn't mean that you sit on your butt; find something low impact that you enjoy. My low impact exercise of choice is walking and I just got a Fitbit to help me with that, but there are a lot of options out there. You might enjoy a bike ride through your local park, or swimming if you have access to a pool. If you enjoy the stretching portion, you might want to look into yoga. Again, play around with it - fitness is very personal and it's going to take you a little while to find a rhythm. Move up a level when you begin to feel more comfortable with the previous level. If it takes you the full thirty days to get through Level 1 without taking a five second beat, then stay at Level 1 those 30 days. The 90 Day Shred doesn't sound as catchy, but it'll get the job done.

As for your feet cramping, are you wearing shoes? My biggest mistake in the beginning was trying to do this barefoot. If you aren't doing it in shoes, try putting on a pair of either walking shoes or cross trainers that you feel comfortable in, lace them in a pattern that supports the arch of your foot (you can look up different lacing patterns online) and see if that helps. As for the breaks - she says take no more than a five second beat and for the most part, try to stay with her on that, is my advice. It's extremely uncomfortable, yes. But by not letting yourself rest for more than a five second beat, even if you have to keep taking that five second beat throughout the exercise, you're getting used to that pattern and it's easier to gauge your progress by how many beats you're taking as a rest as you work through the exercise. I remember being really excited when I could get through Level 2 without taking any five second beats and it helped me get through a bad week on the scale because I could see progress in a completely different area.

I hope I was able to help. Have fun and good luck!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    I m doing it now. And the first day was totally brutal. I felt like I was going to throw up (for like an hour after I was done!) and then I could barely walk for two days after.

Regarding the breaks, I think it's not bad as long as you just take the shortest break necessary. Meaning that your hear rate stays in active state. Regardless, it is better to do something and take breaks, than to skip the workout all together, YKWIM?

Feel free to add me, if you'd like support with the program. It has given me great results so far.
  • MissMegannLee
    Thanks you guys! All your tips and advice is really helpful and I appreciate it a lot.
  • katwinfree
    katwinfree Posts: 76 Member
    I am on level 3 of 30 day shred. My best advice is take it at your own pace. I only do it 5 days a week and move up when I can get thru a level and it seems to be getting a little too easy. Everyone is different so just find your own pace. I drink water while I workout and eat when you are done. It will get easier. Just keeping moving when you need a break.
  • kimacduff
    kimacduff Posts: 29
    I've been using JM's workouts for years. When I started( & every time I restart) I don't usually make it all the way through. Just the fact that you are doing it is great. you'll improve the more you do it.
    As far as good carbs- veggies & whole grains are the key. try making your own & not use things that have added chemicals to them. High Fructose corn syrup is in everything (HFCS) that's a BAD carb. BIG time. It doesn't take that much extra time to make them. It's not hard.
    Good job on doing more difficult exercises. you will astound yourself when you are doing what you can't do now.
  • MissMegannLee
    Thanks you guys! I really appreicate your input.
    Just did day two level one, and only needed a one minute break, put stopped a few of the exercises short and walked in place.
    I'm getting there! :)
  • MissMegannLee
    I think I am going to alternate the 30 day shred with ripped in 30. I feel like changing it up. I wonder if I'll still get good results? Anyone ever alternated?
  • kimacduff
    kimacduff Posts: 29
    JM has the best workouts. There are others who are really good too. But ,I just love JM. I'm doing her newer Kick Boxing DVD. It's only 20 minutes. That works for me right now. I used to workout 2 times a day. I just can't get away from work early enough to do that anymore. If I work out too late I can't get to sleep. I'm too revved up.
  • MissMegannLee
    JM has the best workouts. There are others who are really good too. But ,I just love JM. I'm doing her newer Kick Boxing DVD. It's only 20 minutes. That works for me right now. I used to workout 2 times a day. I just can't get away from work early enough to do that anymore. If I work out too late I can't get to sleep. I'm too revved up.

Between walking and doing a few others things a day one JM workout is more than enough for me! ):
    I couldn't do two a day. I'd die! Haha.