high impact cardio alternatives

Options
I'm currently having a problem with high impact cardio as my knees and especially ankles cannot handle a lot of the workout and tends to make me sore for days whenever I attempt it. I have tried stretching, hot tubs, and massage; nothing seems to be working to solve my ankle/knee issue. I'm not going to give up, but meanwhile I was wondering if there was cardio that mainly works from the hips up? My upper half needs more of the weight loss anyway.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    My advice is always....buy a bike.

ETA - you can't spot reduce.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike. Elliptical…..do you need new shoes?
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yup...agree with other posts. Biking takes the weight off the knees but is still great cardio...give it a spin.

Leg workouts, because ones legs and core are your biggest muscles is where you will expend the most energy. You could do thinks like situps and pushups and chinups, all good...but they won't put out the energy of a good leg/core workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm currently having a problem with high impact cardio as my knees and especially ankles cannot handle a lot of the workout

It sounds counter-intuitive, but I've actually found that running has strengthened my legs enough that I no longer have knee or ankle issues.

Alternatively, a bike or a good quality rowing machine would be the best bet
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your posts.

I don't want to give up the hard cardio, I just have to take it slower until my ankles/knees get stronger. I was just looking for something to fill the gaps so I do not slack on cardio. I'm really motivated to lose weight.

I have a bike but the seat hurts my butt so dang much that I can't sit for a few days after just a few hours of using it. I may have to check into special bike seats. I really want to take up mountain biking.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Get some padded butt shorts.
  • MissJenniLee
    Options
    Padded butt shorts sound silly, but I guess it's a thing. lol. I will have to check it out. Thank you Hornsby
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi! Here's a video of some postural things that you might be able to improve upon. Actually, most of us, even us non-runners, should be working on this stuff.

http://youtu.be/Gyh5ZCLbSSk

Kelly Starrett is a great reference for mobility and rehab issues. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help as best I can!
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Padded butt shorts sound silly, but I guess it's a thing. lol. I will have to check it out. Thank you Hornsby

They sound silly and look silly on too, but once you're sitting on your bike it doesn't show. Thank God for padded butt shorts! :happy:
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bicycle is the best way to go for low impact and high intensity. Ride up some inclines or into some wind and tell me its not a hell of a workout. Ive logged 150+ miles in the last 3 months and its helped me dramatically. legs toned up and cardio/breathing has vastly improved. Im also down 28lbs so that helps too : )

if you do get into biking i suggest the app MapMyRide and a good pair of bike shorts that you can wear under other shorts.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Swimming, especially as it is a complete body workout. But beware of just slogging out the laps, not only will it be boring but the heart rate will not likely get elevated much. Look for programs that are more interval-based training.

On the bike comfort issue if you don't like the lycra look there are women's bike shorts that look more like skirts with padding underneath. Discomfort may also be related to the seat and/or the fit on the bike. Seats don't need mega-padding, just padding in the right places under the pelvic bones. There are women-specific seats on the market that will likely fit your anatomy much better than a generic bike seat .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Anyone who cycles regularly wear cycling shorts...cycling with regular shorts for any length of time is like trying to do a long distance run in flip-flops...you need the proper gear.

I cannot do much in the way of high impact cardio...basically I can run once per week tops for no more than about 3 miles unless I want my posterior tibial tendinitis to flair up....so I primarily cycle. By the by, you don't have to do high impact cardio to get a good cardio workout...I go hard on my bike and get an incredible cardio workout..

I also swim a bit in the summer and I do quite a bit of walking.

In RE to the cycling shorts, they come in varieties...I wear my tight shorts for training and events but I have a couple pair that look like regular old shorts and you can't tell they are padded...I wear those for more recreational riding and when I'm going to be in and out of shops and what not...I frequently do wine and beer bicycle tours so I wear those shorts for that kind of thing so I look more "normal". Females also have skirt varieties.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Spinning Boxing Pilates

You can do anything, if you tell the instructor what your limits are.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I would venture to guess that cycling burns more in the same amount of time as any other standard cardio activity. Not sure that I am right as I am just guessing.

Either way, go ride 50 miles on a bike and you will be glad for padded butt shorts :)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had knee problems but found out it wasn't my knees, it was my weight on my knees. I couldn't run before without injuring my knees. now I run 6.2 miles 4 times a week and 5.4 miles on sat and sunday
  • MissJenniLee
    Options
    Thank you so much. I already plan to go out and buy a padded skirt. And I also plan on swimming as soon as the weather gets warm enough. They both are some of my favorite cardio. I don't really know much about biking, but I'm glad to know about the shorts. I have put off using the bike so much because it hurts so much when I start putting the miles in. I thought I was the only person with the problem. heh oops.

I was also thinking about adding a yoga routine to help strengthen my knees and ankles. I'm wondering if it will help. I forgot to mention that my knees and ankles pop on almost every movement. I have a doc appointment scheduled to speak with her about whether I have to worry about knee/ankle injury or not.

Super glad I decided to ask. Thank you guys for being so helpful :)