Protein for Exercising

Options
I am on maintenance. 5'4", 128lb. I usually exercise five times a week, all classes in a variety of strength training and cardio. My nutritionist wants me to eat more protein, which I know I should.

My problem; I have a tendency to skip lunch because I get involved in activities and suddenly it's 4PM. Also, I am so tired of sandwiches I can't see straight. I've been eating big salads on occasion, but that doesn't solve the protein problem.

My nutritionist suggested having a mid-afternoon snack or lunch of Ensure or Boost, but I hate drinking that stuff.

I do eat almonds sometimes.

I'm not an enthusiastic cook.

Does anyone have ideas That I could try to increase my intake?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Can you have a bigger breakfast?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Can't you have protein on your salads?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I say MAKE time for lunch. And who says you have to have a sandwich? I haven't eaten a sandwich in months. This week I'm having two chicken tacos on corn tortillas with refried beans and avocado. 32 g of protein and so very yummy. Here's two other things I might eat at lunch:

- Homemade McDonald's-style egg white delight with an english muffin, egg whites, canadian bacon, and white cheddar cheese (17 g protein)
    - Salad with romaine lettuce, light Caesar dressing, grilled shrimp, shaved parmesan cheese, and a few fat-free croutons (14 g protein)

I also usually have some fruit (banana, strawberries, grapes, etc). And then I have an afternoon snack at 3:30 (coming up! yay!) that usually consists of flavored Greek yogurt, a hard-boiled egg, and light string cheese. That's about 24 g of protein.

I'll never understand how people can "forget" to eat. That's the last thing I'd forget. Eating is the best.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My problem; I have a tendency to skip lunch because I get involved in activities and suddenly it's 4PM.
    How is that a problem? Well you still have breakfast and dinner, yes? Just add some bonus protein to those meals and don't ate lunch then if you don't want to.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    you could try other protein powders and make shakes or just mix with water, you may find one you like. Quest bars, greek yogurt, cheese, beef jerky are some good protein snack ideas. You could also add grilled chicken to your salads. You can have a bigger breakfast in the morning and eat eggs, sausage or bacon in the morning.

Nuts have protein but they don't have a huge protein to calorie ratio.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need way more protein! It looks like you're not prioritizing foods that have protein in them, so you're consistenly really low. You really just need to decide that you're going to fit protein into every meal/snack, then build your meals around that. Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, milk, nut butters, soy if you like it, things like that. String cheese or hard boiled eggs are great snacks, especially if you tend to forget to eat. There's nothing wrong with using a whey protein powder or protein bars. Build a salad around chicken or steak strips. Everyone tends to mention beans as protein sources, but you'd have to eat your weight in beans before you got a good amount of protein, so they shouldn't be a go-to.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella sticks, greek yogurt, I buy rotisserie chickens or turkey breast and cut them into 2-4oz pieces and put them in baggies. They last me about 2-4 snack or meal times and they're chock full of proteins without any of the preservatives you find in lunch meat. I eat tuna fish (but trainer says not everyday), haddock, organic granola with protein, 2 hard boiled egg whites and one egg. Just some ideas
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I generally put a scoop of EAS Gold Standard into a bowl of oatmeal and have amazing happytime with my food.

I've yet to try protein powder in my oatmeal (I usually have brown sugar, PB2, and cinnamon with almond milk), but it sounds so yummy! Once I can increase to maintenance calories, I plan on trying it. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I do eat oatmeal for breakfast on occasion so putting protein powder in it sounds like a good job.

Also, I know most people don't forget to eat, but I do. I also have never been a binge eater. I also am not an emotional eater. When I am stressed, I lose my appetite. Everyone is different and I don't judge others for their quirks.

Thanks for some of the suggestions. I am trying to change my habit so positive ideas are great.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Also, I know most people don't forget to eat, but I do. I also have never been a binge eater. I also am not an emotional eater. When I am stressed, I lose my appetite. Everyone is different and I don't judge others for their quirks.
    I'm the exact same way, and so are my sister and my mom. My friends have to remind me to eat sometimes. I don't know why people have such a negative reaction to people who forget to eat! It's just how we're built.
  • foxandnegayo
    foxandnegayo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been enjoying Epic Greek Yogurt + Chia Seeds (17g of protein). I also pressure cook chicken breast, shred it, portion it out into tupperware or ziploc bags (I do 4 oz), put some kind of seasoning on it and snack on it. Trader Joe's has peeled, boiled cage-free eggs. Those are my protein go-tos.
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky is my go-to for quick protein. I make mine at home in a dehydrator so it's way cheaper than the packaged stuff.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of jerky for the protein. High sodium, but if you don't have to worry about that, it's a good way to get some protein in.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I carry canned tuna with me everywhere I go. I love the Clover Leaf Tuna in Olive Oil. Fantastic to eat right out of the can (for me) or to put on top of my salads.

I also make egg muffins. In a muffin pan I pour the combination of eggs, green onions and a bit of cheese. bake in the oven until done. It is perfect to put a couple into a ziploc and take with you to work or anywhere you may be going. I do like them heated up in the microwave but I still eat them cold if a microwave is not available.

Ziploc bags ARE MY FRIEND! I carry everything in them. Tupperware takes up alot of space haha. I even put rice in ziploc bags :)

Hope that gives you a few more ideas
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh i love the boiled eggs! I found some at my local grocery store and they were on sale. Buy one get one free! SCORE!
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't have much time for lunch either, I tend to only be able to fit a bowl of cereal in at breakfast and then I have snacks throughout the late morning and afternoon before having a big dinner.

I tend to eat granola for breakfast which has a fair amount of protein in for cereal, and found peanuts, pistachios and yoghurt to be staples during the day - and they fit in with having a quick snack every couple hours. I then make myself have protein-heavy dinners - big pieces of chicken, bacon, eggs etc. If I'm a little low on the protein count in the evening I have warm flavoured soya milk before bed.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of string cheese. Also, cottage cheese is great as is Greek yogurt. (Hope you can eat dairy) .
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Meat - lean meat if you're low on calories, less lean if you've got plenty left.

Drink some milk - skimmed milk isn't too far off 50/50 carbs and protein.

Cheese tends to have more fat, but you can get some that's quite low fat and high protein if you're short on calories.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think most of these have been already mentioned in some fashion but worth restating...

- Protein bars when you are on the go or just need to grab something quick. A lot of these taste like candy bars except they'll give you about 14-20g protein, around 200 calories.

- Ziplock with almonds

- Cut some cheddar cheese cubes up and put in a ziplock

- Beef or turkey jerky

- Boil up some hard boiled eggs

- Grilled Chicken tenders with Montreal steak seasoning (mostly pepper and salt). Stick them on a salad or eat like chicken fingers.

- When you are at home a smoothie with chocolate protein powder and berries (frozen works best), and plain Greek yogurt is real easy and tasty with lots of protein
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lean meats are gonna be your best bet. Things like chicken breast, lean ground turkey/beef, ham and low fat dairy can really help keep your protein up. Also, if no one else has said it yet, meal timing is pretty much irrelevant so don't worry about eating every 2 hours. If you look up and it's 4:00 and you haven't eaten yet, that is fine :)