Fitness monitoring devices/apps

Options
jewol
jewol Posts: 74 Member
While I was being inattentive, a welter of fitness monitoring applications and devices have cascaded onto the market: Fitbit, Digibit, Runkeeper, iFit, and, likely, others of which I am yet unaware.

Our recently purchased treadmill is iFit compatible although I haven't bought a subscription because I'm not yet persuaded of its value. I did receive a Fitbit for Christmas and, to my surprise, I absolutely love it. So, I'm open to the possibility of buying other devices/applications.

I'm curious about other MFP members' experiences with this brave new (fitness) world. Which devices/apps do you prefer? Which are redundant? Which are worth/not worth the price tag (assuming they are not free as, apparently, some apps are)?

(My apologies if this is a rehashed topic.)

Thanks,
John

Replies

• beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have used RunKeeper which is an iPhone app, and free. There are other running or walking aps, too, but that's the only one I have used. It tracks your distance and tells you your time, it's nice if you are running or walking outside, and it will automatically post your workout info to MFP if you sync it.

Aside from that, I just have a Polar 7 heart rate monitor. In to see other responses.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just a HRM for me.

Other devices seem like trendy gimmicks for now, but there's no hating from me if it helps get you moving, : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fitness-bands-slick-marketing-suspect-150047229.html;_ylt=A0SO8zb9FGBT2UgAOcRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0czkwa3JmBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA01BUDAwNV8x
  • NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    I have a FitBit which always reminds me to move my *kitten* and get off the couch :) But I also use an HRM too when I work out, to get an accurate calorie burn.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7, its a HRM. It works great for me and seems to be very accurate. I use the Polar personal trainer program in conjunction with MFP.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am only an "incidental" MFP user for calorie tracking and weight management. My main impulse is to get faster on a bike!

As such, I use a Garmin GPS device that capture HR and power from the bike. The HR calorie estimator is pretty useless - it overestimates every time by 10 30%. Ouch.

The power meter is extremely accurate, though, since it measures the actual energy spent propelling the bike. As such, it has a very narrow application - I think only bikes and rowing machines have these ergometers widely available.

If I was to get a fitness monitor (I want one for my dad), it'd be something that had a good gps. Running/walking almost are completely weight and distance dependant - you can go faster, but a 5 km run burns about the same if it takes 25 or 55 minutes.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap HRM for general purpose that I never use. I have a HRM that came with my recumbent exercise bike. And I have a bike computer with HRM that I should be using this time of year if the weather ever gets around to acknowledging spring. I also use MapMyRide for cycling and any other exercise I care to log. But my favorite by far is my Fitbit. Before I got a Fitbit I didn't realize how inactive I was between workouts. I'm guessing that I used to walk around a mile on a typical day. I'm now averaging over 7 miles daily, and I've learned to count on the extra calories that I get to eat.
  • jewol
    jewol Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    "Before I got a Fitbit I didn't realize how inactive I was between workouts."

The same here. With a desk job, I knew I wasn't as active as, say, a construction worker. But I was astounded to learn just how sedentary I was … aside from workouts. I still find it challenging to rack up non-exercise steps during the work week.

My thanks to everyone who responded. Your comments were enlightening.