against fruit?

Options
I've noticed a lot of comments about the negativity of fruit. Why? Growing up, my doctor used to tell me, "you can never have too much fruit!" Now I didn't take that literally but I love fruit and never really worried about it until I started reading these posts. I understand the sugar aspect of it but its natural.

Replies

• NoMoreStretchyPants
    Options
    Since the low-carb way of eating became more popular, I've noticed this too. I am not diabetic, nor on a low carb diet and I eat a *ton* of fruit. I love it! As you correctly stated, it's natural sugar.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why. Fruits are high in vitamins and fiber. They help keep you full and can be substituted for other higher-sugar desserts.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people just need something (irrational) about which to get up on their high horse. Next month it'll switch to something else. Fruit on, girl!!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ever met someone who got fat eating fruits?

That's what i've been saying to people for the last 2 years....
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of comments about the negativity of fruit. Why? Growing up, my doctor used to tell me, "you can never have too much fruit!" Now I didn't take that literally but I love fruit and never really worried about it until I started reading these posts. I understand the sugar aspect of it but its natural.
    Eating a healhy, balanced diet isnt in vogue for alot of people in the dieting world.
    It doesnt push a certain agenda to sell books, videos, supplements, pills, etc and therefore gets the backseat to the latest fad.

Eat them to your hearts content and as long as you stay under your caloric intake you will lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Not sure unless they are demonizing sugar...seems stupid to me.

I admit I don't get in enough fruit in the winter time although I get my veggies in.

Summer time is coming tho and that means fresh New Brunswick Berries so I will be eating more of those.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Was your doctor, Dr. Lustig?

Unless youre hormones are effed up, it's really hard to overconsume fruits since most of them have fiber which keeps you satieted
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Fruit is delicious. I have it every day, and it has not hindered my progress one jot in the past 2.5 years.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You want fruit? Eat fruit. I can't eat it, it spikes my blood sugar too quickly and too high and I run the risk of a heart attack.

And that's the doctors orders. I can eat some berries, but not a whole lot.

You don't know anyone else's situation, so work for what your body can take and carry on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1) they don't fill me up by themselves
    2) they don't have much protein for the calories

That's pretty much why I avoid them. I'll still have strawberries with yogurt (or pancakes), and I'll probably eat my share of peaches this Summer again, probably some plums and apricots too, but I don't like most fruit enough to use my calories on them (plus it's not easy to find GOOD fruit - even when I go to the orchard, most of the times they pick the fruit before they are ripe, so they are hard as brick and disappointing).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    fruit is amazing

eat all the fruits all the time
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with fruit, its almost always heard from someone who is trying to sell you this or that diet, one that perpetuates "fruit is bad". Like the advertisement that runs on MFP for example, it shows a picture of a banana and has something like "foods you should never eat" as if that's something you should not consume. No they are trying to sell you something, its baloney.

Another group avoids fruit because they are trying to increase proteins and fat, and fruits have little. Again, its not that the fruit is a problem, just that they are trying to reach a certain ratio and a fruit doesn't help that ratio, or they find just that its easier to remove a fruit from their daily food to reduce more calories.

Enzymes from fruits are also helpful to your body, besides their nutritional components, some of these, like bromelain in pineapple, can even help reduce inflammation. Fruit is not "bad" unless you have a specific reaction to one, have a medical condition or are already approaching your calorie goal and the fruit puts you over it...then just eat it tomorrow.

You want fruit? Eat fruit. I can't eat it, it spikes my blood sugar too quickly and too high and I run the risk of a heart attack.

And that's the doctors orders. I can eat some berries, but not a whole lot.

You don't know anyone else's situation, so work for what your body can take and carry on.

^in your situation you are right, and sorry to hear you suffer from a condition like this, but I find posts like this misleading: there is only an issue because you have a specific medical condition. In general, there is no problem with fruit unless you have such a condition.
  • deannam315
    deannam315 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just making sure I wasn't missing something! I figured I could eat it up (which I do!). My sugar intake is still low and even if it wasn't I would still eat that delicious, natural sugar