Low carb or calorie deficit more effective?

Options
13»

Replies

• chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think it's really a personal choice. From what I can tell, they're both legitimate paths to success -- it will just depend on the individual's preferences and specific issues.

Some hate to restrict carbs, so generally a low-carb calorie deficit isn't going to be a good match for them. And if they take weight off in a reasonably similar manner with a calorie deficit alone, then there is no real benefit for these folks.

However, others find it much easier to maintain a sizeable calorie deficit when they low carb. High fat, moderate protein and low carb diets are highly satiating. So much so, that some don't feel the need to count calories at all. For others, they may have a carb sensitivity issue (like insulin resistance), so a low carb diet is near mandatory to create the calorie deficit.

I personally like low carb myself as it helps reduce cravings and I feel great on it (but I also have insulin resistance and some gluten intolerance issues -- so I avoid a lot of grains for that reason alone). However, I don't restrict carbs to the extent where it's a keto diet -- I keep carbs at 50-80g per day as a general fule. I find it far more effective for weight loss than a calorie deficit alone. But, my experience isn't going be the same for everyone.

I'd suggest you give it a try and see if it works for you.

bottom line is calorie deficit. If she substitutes carb with other calorie dense food and do not create a deficit, I doubt the extra fat is going away. There may be some moving in the scales but that will be water weight. High carb, high protein, high fat, vegan, etc.. Bottom line to losing the excess fat is calorie deficit

Yes, but if (1) they're starving, they're far less likely to be able to maintain a calorie deficit (they're far more likely to binge). That's why satiety is a really important for most people in dieting/lifestyle changes. If you can accomplish the same thing in an easier way with less effort or heartache, why wouldn't you do it?

Of course, what constitutes "easier" varies from person-to-person, but for some restricting carbs makes it much easier to maintain a caloric deficit.

(2) If they have any carb sensitivity issue, like insulin resistance, it may be absolutely necessary for them to do so in order to avoid big insulin spikes (which both causes hunger sensations and ultimately greater fat storage) due to their abnormal glucose metabolism. It's not a requirement for all that have these issues, but it is for many -- for good reason.

That is where the macro ratio come in. One does not necessarily have to go low carb unless medically necessary -- there are simple and complex carbs. Complex carbs have higher satiety than simple carbs. In that case, rice crispies vs potatoes. One would not feel the satiety when eating sugar compared to eating potatoes or oats. There are also food like fruits that are "high carb" but also high in fiber which helps with satiety

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying low carb is ineffective. What I am saying the bottomline of fatloss is calorie deficit - be it low carb, high carb, high protein, high fat, etc

I agree with you that people don't need to go low carb as a general rule, but doing so may make it easier for them to maintain a calorie deficit or a general sense of well-being (like for folks with insulin resistance, this is common). The carb choices -- whether simple, complex or low -- are going to come down to personal preferences and issues.

Which is where the macros and personal choices and necessity comes in. But people should be aware that the "cause" of real weight loss (in this case fat loss) is calorie deficit. Going low carb but not creating a deficit will create an illusion of weight loss because of depleted glycogen in the first days or weeks...

I am mentioning this so that when one goes low carb they wont be frustrated when the "weight loss" stalls or when their weight suddenly does up by 5 lbs in one day

At best, it is better for the OP to gauge progress with a tape measure. Coz seriously, scales can be crazy especially pertaining to the water weight.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Which is where the macros and personal choices and necessity comes in. But people should be aware that the "cause" of real weight loss (in this case fat loss) is calorie deficit. Going low carb but not creating a deficit will create an illusion of weight loss because of depleted glycogen in the first days or weeks...

I am mentioning this so that when one goes low carb they wont be frustrated when the "weight loss" stalls or when their weight suddenly does up by 5 lbs in one day

At best, it is better for the OP to gauge progress with a tape measure. Coz seriously, scales can be crazy especially pertaining to the water weight.

I can't understand what you're arguing here, because no one is disputing caloric deficits are needed for weight loss. That's why I tried to point out the OP is asking about "low carb with deficit" vs. "just deficit." You keep pointing out the obvious and saying people don't understand your point... but your point is an obvious one and it's not being argued. Again, no one is saying you don't need a caloric deficit. Lindsey is simply saying that a low carb diet can make it easier for some, but not all, people to achieve such a caloric deficit. That has jack to do with muscle glycogen depletion and the accompanying water weight and it has everything to do with food choices and satiety.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I like a combo of both lower-ish carb and calorie counting. I made the hugest omelet today that had cheese, ham, and lots of vegetables for 400 calories. I wasn't hungry again until 12:30. Then I had a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup, some grilled chicken, and a spinach salad with goat cheese, walnuts, olive oil and balsamic vinegar, all for another 400 calories. By having lots of low-carb meals, it frees up some calories once in a while for pasta, pizza, homemade bread, or other stuff that makes life worth living (for me) and I'm not hungry AT ALL.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I can't understand what you're arguing here, because no one is disputing caloric deficits are needed for weight loss. That's why I tried to point out the OP is asking about "low carb with deficit" vs. "just deficit." You keep pointing out the obvious and saying people don't understand your point... but your point is an obvious one and it's not being argued. Again, no one is saying you don't need a caloric deficit. Lindsey is simply saying that a low carb diet can make it easier for some, but not all, people to achieve such a caloric deficit. That has jack to do with muscle glycogen depletion and the accompanying water weight and it has everything to do with food choices and satiety.

I stated that the bottomline is caloric deficit and for one to not be frustrated about the scales, one has to be aware the effects of water weight -- carbs are converted to glycogen. So low carb will include water weight. Many people are not aware of this and they get frustrated if they see a 5lb increase in their weight overnight even if they have not consumed 17500 excess calories. What is wrong with stating something that will let her get LESS frustrated about the scales? I EVEN MENTIONED IT WOULD BE BETTER TO TRACK PROGRESS WITH TAPE MEASURE

And then someone quoted me as if I was implying that low carb is wrong which is not especially with people with medical conditions. If the OP wants to go low carb, she can do it if that's the best for her. Low carb, high carb, high protein, high fat. It's her choice. It's her macros.

I think you are the one making issues here. I am NOT telling her to not go low carb. Just some circumstances that accompanies low carb.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I stated that the bottomline is caloric deficit and for one to not be frustrated about the scales, one has to be aware the effects of water weight -- carbs are converted to glycogen. So low carb will include water weight. Many people are not aware of this and they get frustrated if they see a 5lb increase in their weight overnight even if they have not consumed 17500 excess calories. What is wrong with stating something that will let her get LESS frustrated about the scales? I EVEN MENTIONED IT WOULD BE BETTER TO TRACK PROGRESS WITH TAPE MEASURE

And then someone quoted me as if I was implying that low carb is wrong which is not especially with people with medical conditions. If the OP wants to go low carb, she can do it if that's the best for her. Low carb, high carb, high protein, high fat. It's her choice. It's her macros.

I think you are the one making issues here. I am NOT telling her to not go low carb. Just some circumstances that accompanies low carb.

Part of what I think you're missing is how carb level can affect folks with carb sensitivity issues -- like the OP has disclosed that she has. It's not so easy to maintain a caloric deficit when you have insulin resistance because your body has an exaggerated insulin response. Your cells don't take up glucose like normal people, so your body has to increase the insulin to get more of them to respond. Increased insulin has a couple of effects -- it does force more of the glucose into your cells, which is good, but it also drops blood sugar dramatically (signally hunger) and ultimately results in more carbs being turned into fat rather than used by your cells for energy like a normal person.

So, you're not getting the energy you'd get from food like a normal person. When the insulin increases, you feel hungry even though you shouldn't. So, people are more prone to overeat because of this faulty mechanism. Or if they manage to stick to the allotted calories, they often feel horrible -- very sluggish because the glucose in their blood stream isn't getting into the cells where it needs to be.

To combat this, some use drugs like metformin which helps sensitize your cells to insulin like a normal person. Many restrict carbs to keep the big insulin spikes from happening. Losing weight often helps with insulin resistance, but having insulin resistance makes it more difficult to lose weight -- nice, little catch-22 there.

So, for people these types of people in particular, it's not just about a caloric deficit, but about both a caloric deficit AND restricting carbs.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I prefer low-carb + deficit. I find that eating most of my daily calories in fat and protein keeps me from being a ravenous food vacuum. But that's me.

In all honesty, it comes down to what's sustainable for you. I don't push a way of eating on anyone (and will totally make high carb sides for my fiance to enjoy) because we all have to find what will work for ourselves. Experiment and see if you do well on it.

How did you originally find cutting the carbs? Did it leave you tired and hungry? As that's what puts me off low carb most of the time. Thankyou!

Not going to lie, it wasn't exactly easy. Going from a diet of heavily processed junk foods all day long to food I couldn't buy in a bag was an adjustment. Not so much cravings (which I won't deny they weren't there, but nothing I couldn't handle) but more of washing more dishes because I had to cook everything that I wanted to eat.

I didn't have the "carb flu" that people sometimes get because I drank lots of water and calorie free sports drinks to keep me hydrated. After a few days, it was much easier. Now, I have so much more energy, that I can't imagine living any other way! It took me about two weeks of keeping my carbs around 20g to feel good. This, coupled with my thyroid meds, keeps me feeling energetic and active.

ONCE AGAIN, this is what worked for me. It doesn't work for all, and as long as you can find something you can stick to, you'll be okay. :)