Replies

• Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Very nice! :)
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If anyone actually believed these things, they wouldn't be here. Quotes like these just breed complacence.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    They are great!!! Thanks for sharing
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Love! Thanks for posting this!
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wish I had seen this yesterday. lol
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If anyone actually believed these things, they wouldn't be here. Quotes like these just breed complacence.
    What? Oh, nevermind. I get you too well.

I like the one about exercise because you love your body, not hate it. The sweetheart above me can kiss my...
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can look like Beyoncé and still hate your body, sometimes you just need someone to tell you you're a worthwhile person and to love yourself, no matter what your size.

I have dieted out of hating myself, and (surprise!) it didn't work.

I have changed my diet out of love for myself - and it worked.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What? Oh, nevermind. I get you too well.

I like the one about exercise because you love your body, not hate it. The sweetheart above me can kiss my...

Fine, I'll elaborate. If "there's no wrong way to have a body," why are we all trying to change ours? If we're "more than a number on a scale," why is that number in 90% of peoples' signatures here?

Can you be fat and okay with it? Sure, I suppose. But none of you would be here if you were truly happy with the current state of your body. Instead of nodding and smiling when someone tells you "you're fine the way you are," why not say, "No, I'm not, and that's why I'm trying to improve myself"? Telling people it's okay to be overweight is like telling kids it's okay for them to get Cs and Ds in school. It's not okay, and you're not helping anyone by saying otherwise.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    the only quote i agree with is about exercise. the others seem to be just poor excuses?! Curves !=fat rolls. Unless you're a ladyboy, women do have curves as dictated by estrogen
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Gamer 24k,

You're acting as though these are only for people who are overweight, they're not, even very thin people who do not *need* to lose weight can have low self-esteem.

Also, while you are on your journey, and still losing, it's easy to beat yourself up because you are not the weight you want to be yet. It's nice for someone to tell you that you are still a worthwhile person!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This is another great thread, and some of these people might even be on your FL. :smile: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102508-mfp-fitspiration
  • chloematilds
    Options
    ^^a lot of the quotes fall into the extreme...

"love your curves". Uhm, don't all women have curves due to wider hips (compared to men)? Well, I've seen ladyboys ("women" but were born men) have curves....so what is the issue with the "curves" (or do they mean fat rolls?)
  • chloematilds
    Options
    IMO, "thinspiration", "real women have curves [bones are for dogs, etc]" and YES, most "fitspiration" are BS. They don't intend to really motivate just mask insecurities.

It does not help than many of this so called -spirations are made up of photoshopped images
  • makeitnasty184
    makeitnasty184 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    To the opinionated gentleman spewing negativity...

Trying to change your body while loving yourself is entirely possible. While I want to treat my body differently and change it, it doesn't mean that I can't love it the way it is right now while seeking self-improvement. Wanting to change my body doesn't mean that I consider my body wrong in some way, which is something a lot of people could agree with...

You're assigning your own values about body image to those quotes and you are assigning your own goals and self image onto everyone else who participates in what this website has to offer. You think that anyone who is trying to lose weight and get healthier needs to be unhappy with their body. And your analogy leaves out an important component...sure it might not be okay to be overweight (healthwise, if you're healthy and happy being overweight, keep doing your thing) and it's not okay to let kids get C's and D's in school...but if your kid gets C's or D's are you going to love them any less??Absolutely not, so you should treat yourself the same way. Just because you aren't at an ideal weight or body type it doesn't mean you can't learn to love your body in all it's various states along the way which is what these quotes are trying to convey.

Go cast your rain cloud elsewhere this post was meant to be a boost, not a drag.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    To the opinionated gentleman spewing negativity...

Trying to change your body while loving yourself is entirely possible. While I want to treat my body differently and change it, it doesn't mean that I can't love it the way it is right now while seeking self-improvement. Wanting to change my body doesn't mean that I consider my body wrong in some way, which is something a lot of people could agree with...

You're assigning your own values about body image to those quotes and you are assigning your own goals and self image onto everyone else who participates in what this website has to offer. You think that anyone who is trying to lose weight and get healthier needs to be unhappy with their body. And your analogy leaves out an important component...sure it might not be okay to be overweight (healthwise, if you're healthy and happy being overweight, keep doing your thing) and it's not okay to let kids get C's and D's in school...but if your kid gets C's or D's are you going to love them any less??Absolutely not, so you should treat yourself the same way. Just because you aren't at an ideal weight or body type it doesn't mean you can't learn to love your body in all it's various states along the way which is what these quotes are trying to convey.

Go cast your rain cloud elsewhere this post was meant to be a boost, not a drag.

Well said!

Thanks, OP, I think the majority of people appreciate your post and can see past the negative comments. x