Sweet tooth

Options
Recommendations for someone with a huge sweet tooth....I don't want cakes and cookies...I wanna have snacks that healthy.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have found that if I really want something sweet, I need to make room in my food intake for some chocolate. :flowerforyou:

But if I can't have chocolate, I usually get some fresh pineapple or chew a stick of gum. LOVE cutting up fresh fruit for a quick sweet snack. Unless there is chocolate. I'll go for the chocolate every time. LOL!
  • lrearick1452
    Options
    I also like chocolate, but stick with the sugar free (SF) kind since I'm diabetic. However, when I truly want something sweet, like candy, I make some SF jello with fruit in it. It fills that need/craving for something sweet to the tonge but doesn't wreck my intake. I like it with a little low fat whipped cream on top. I will eat strawberries with Splenda, SF nonfat puddings-chocolate, skim milk with SF nestle quick added, Blue Bell makes a no sugar added low fat ice cream that's good. Plan in your treats so you don't feel deprived!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I eat any sweets I wish. I just work it into my calories.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Fudgesicles. 40 calories a pop. You're welcome.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Keep an abundance of healthy snacks around, fruits, almonds, etc. If you are like me, I cannot have keep any chocolate or sweets in the house, I have no will power. When I do have a goody once in a while, for a special occasion, I log it in, and then try to get back on track.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have sweet stuff every day. Every. Single. Day. Lately, it's been Easter chocolate....mmmmmm....caramilk eggs. As far as healthy sweets, then obviously fruit.....watermelon, berries, crisp apples, etc...are all good choices.

Or if you don't want fruit but want something sweet and don't care about the nutritional content, go for a low calorie snack like a sugar free pudding (60ish calories) or sugar free jello cups (5ish calories). There are also 100 calorie snack bars that are good, and mini ice cream bars or frozen yogurt, and 2 pack cookies that already portion out the serving for you. Also, Greek yogurt with honey is good too (and has protein) and so is dry cereal if you like that.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    trail mix? I love the black & white mix from target.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Reeces Peanut Butter cups are always my craving when I have a sweet tooth so I made my own healthy version {natural, extra dark chocolate, coconut oil and natural Peanut Butter} and they were delicious. Pinterest is where I found the recipe {they have a lot of good sweets' recipes on there for snacks when having a sweet tooth}.
  • cambio_63
    Options
    I just had a couple of dried dates with almonds and also love naturally sweet plant-based drinks like oat or rice (hot or cold) with raw cocoa powder and a pinch of gound vanilla.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I make my own trail mix of 1/2 oz almonds and 10g craisins. It amounts to about 115 calories. I wrap them up in individual portions in Saran Wrap and keep em in a bowl in the fridge. I think the craisins feed my sweet tooth and the fat in the almonds helps keep my appetite or cravings in check.

:-)

If I really need candy or chocolate, I'll buy a small portion of it (e.g. A couple of caramels at the check out counter at my local convenience store. Sometimes I'll find individual Lindt chocolates too.). If I buy a whole package of something, that's no bueno for me - lol. Sometimes I'll put fruit in my juicer and make my own popsicles using the molds you can find at a store.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like the 60 calorie Jello Vanilla-Chocolate pudding cups. They tend to kick the craving w/out sacrificing a lot of calories. I too have an enormous sweet tooth, so it is hard when candy comes into my house. I could do without the ice cream, certain types of cakes, etc., but if you put a mini candy bar in front of me, WATCH OUT!!! lol
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i love sweets, especially chocolate. sometimes there is nothing better than the real thing so if you can limit yourself to a serving of whatever you really enjoy i would recommend that. i also have a few chocolatey things that i have often that aren't too bad on the calorie count.
    plain greek yogurt with some stevia/truvia and unsweetened cocoa powder - i mix in some blueberries and a little serving of cereal for a crunch!
    chocolate vitatops
    diet hot chocolate with some light whipped cream or cool whip
    there are a lot of good recipies out there for mug cakes too - look into those to help with the sweet tooth! :)
  • jec228
    Options
    emerald also makes 100 calorie packs of almonds - cocoa roast, vanialla roast, cinnamon, etc. that are a great snack.
  • jec228
    Options
    and quest bars ... okay, I'm done now
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I have been going with Edy's Slow Churnned Ice Cream!! I wouldn't really put it on the "health food" list but it won't kill ya either!
    I love the Mint Chocolate Chip! Its only 120 calories for a 1/2 cup serving.
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    I love sugar free chocolate fudge pudding with frozen strawberries cut up. I love frozen strawberries! I pair them with any sweet I'm craving, only 50 calories for 1 cup.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am a sweet freak as well. I have found that frozen grapes really help with that. they are slow to eat, and they are sweet. I also enjoy the the Vitatops. those are good for a warm 100 delight. But avoid the Target Market pantry knock off...blech!!
  • Jessesbride
    Jessesbride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I've had to be creative. I usually avoid regular sugar & use a substitute (Sweet Leaf because it curbs the cravings rather than make them worse as all the other ones I've tried ~ & I've tried pretty much all of them). I love Country Peach tea & using my "sub" to make it sweeter. I did no "obvious" sugar for Lent this year (nope, not even catholic) & afterwards, I noticed that most things are way too sweet for me these days. Yes. Seriously! I also do Ensure protein shake. Get the big one... the one that only has 5 grams sugar & 25 grams protein... The chocolate one is the only one to do... I tried vanilla & it was disgusting! Fruit has A LOT of sugar in it, so be careful of eating too much. 1/2 of any fruit is pretty much 1 serving. A large banana has about 17g of sugar... for a girl who is really only supposed to have 24g of sugar a day... that's a no go unless, I've gotten to the end of the day & I'm still hungry, AND I've got the sugar and calories to spare to eat one... THEN I will go ahead & splurge! You've got to remember that it's not about going without, but more about prioritizing what you want. IF I really want pretzels & I've got the wiggle room at the end of the day (or if I want to make wiggle room during the day) ... then I splurge! These days, if I want sweet, it's usually fruit OR an Ensure (big one 5g's of sugar) OR Peach tea... but those are mine that I tend to do. Just remember it's a splurge... not an everyday occurrence! Also, the nuts that have chocolate or cinnamon coating (oh yeah!!!)!!! Oh! & Bare Naked Granola... has this one that is called Maple Pecan (5g sugar) (Can't remember the new name but same concept) ... I put that into Dannon Greek Light 2x protein Vanilla (11g sugar) & that's really good too! When you start looking at the sugar content of everything... be prepared to have an O-MY-GOSH-I'M-HAVING-A-HEART-ATTACK moment!!! LOL
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pudding with cool whip, sugar free jello with cool whip, dark chocolate strawberry dole dippers. Yum
  • babydoll315
    babydoll315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Really only 40 calories? Is that sugar free? I am on low carb as well.