How To Make Homemade Egg Substitute and Omelet Recipe

Options
ellechim1
ellechim1 Posts: 74 Member
You can save money by making your own Eggbeater type egg substitute. Basically you’ll use a single egg with extra egg whites. This cuts the saturated fat and cholesterol in your all of your egg dishes without sacrificing flavor or texture.

Take a look at the nutritional comparison. Multiply the ingredients by 4 so you have a week’s worth of egg substitute. Store covered in the fridge and use within 7 days.

2 large eggs
Calories: 143
Carbs: 1 gram
Protein: 12.5 grams
Fat: 10 grams
Cholesterol: 423 mg

1 egg + 2 whites (egg substitute)
Calories: 106
Carbs: 1 gram
Protein: 13.5 grams
Fat: 5 grams
Cholesterol: 211 mg

Here’s an easy omelet for you to try out your homemade egg substitute:

Egg White Denver Omelet
Serves 1
1/2 cup homemade egg substitute
1 oz lean sandwich ham, diced
1/2 oz shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
4 small black olives, chopped
1 tablespoon minced green onion (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
Coat an 8″ nonstick skillet generously with cooking spray. Heat pan on medium low. Sprinkle ham, olives and green onion evenly over the bottom of the pan and cook about 1 minute.

Pour in egg substitute and let sit for 30 seconds. Push cooked edges gently toward the center to let the uncooked egg flow to the outside edges. Season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle omelet with cheese. Turn heat to low, cover pan and let cook 30 seconds. Gently flip one side of the omelet over in half and slide out to a warm plate. Eat and enjoy!

Nutritional Info:
Calories: 175
Carbs: 2.5 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Fat: 8 grams

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the real nutritional comparison, where would you say most of the nutrition lies?

https://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart
  • ellechim1
    Options
    The nutritional facts I quoted are the same as your link. There are people out there, like myself that are watching the calories and cholesterol. Using less yokes and more egg whites helps. And it is made by me so I know what is actually in it without the added preservatives.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Thank s so much. Will DEFINATELY try this. I like also no added chemicals.. Thank so much for sharing. That's why I come here for the great ideas from the experts like yourself.
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The nutritional facts I quoted are the same as your link. There are people out there, like myself that are watching the calories and cholesterol. Using less yokes and more egg whites helps. And it is made by me so I know what is actually in it without the added preservatives.

Thanks for posting this, really useful.
    I use Two Chicks Egg Whites, it really low everything but obviously totally tasteless if you don't add a load of chilli or something so the addition of one egg would def help on the taste front
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Except your "quote" obscures the fact that nutritionally speaking 2 whole eggs blows away your 2 whites + 1 yolk.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Except your "quote" obscures the fact that nutritionally speaking 2 whole eggs blows away your 2 whites + 1 yolk.
    if you really read this, she was speaking about calories and cholesterol.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

if you really read this, she was speaking about calories and cholesterol.

"On any given day, we have between 1,100 and 1,700 milligrams of cholesterol in our body. 25% of that comes from our diet, and 75% is produced inside of our bodies by the liver. Much of the cholesterol that’s found in food can’t be absorbed by our bodies, and most of the cholesterol in our gut was first synthesized in body cells and ended up in the gut via the liver and gall bladder. The body tightly regulates the amount of cholesterol in the blood by controlling internal production; when cholesterol intake in the diet goes down, the body makes more. When cholesterol intake in the diet goes up, the body makes less.

This explains why well-designed cholesterol feeding studies (where they feed volunteers 2-4 eggs a day and measure their cholesterol) show that dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels in about 75% of the population. The remaining 25% of the population are referred to as “hyper-responders”. In this group, dietary cholesterol does modestly increase both LDL (“bad cholesterol” and HDL (“good cholesterol”), but it does not affect the ratio of LDL to HDL or increase the risk of heart disease. (2)

In other words, eating cholesterol isn’t going to give you a heart attack. You can ditch the egg-white omelettes and start eating yolks again. That’s a good thing, since all of the 13 essential nutrients eggs contain are found in the yolk. Egg yolks are an especially good source of choline, a B-vitamin that plays important roles in everything from neurotransmitter production to detoxification to maintenance of healthy cells. (3) Studies show that up to 90% of Americans don’t get enough choline, which can lead to fatigue, insomnia, poor kidney function, memory problems and nerve-muscle imbalances. (4)"

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy

But I mean. If it's a calorie thing then do what you do, so long as you're aware eating two eggs isn't doing anything to your cholesterol levels one way or the other.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if i dont care about the cals, i just use eggs.
    if i need to fill up and need to keep it lower cal, i just use egg beaters.

i feel like the OP has sort of over-complicated this.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i regularly mix egg beaters whites only with whole eggs, but just for the calorie savings, not for any nutrition reasons. and i just don't like egg white only omeletts.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I buy the carton of egg whites and make egg white omlettes that's 94 calories

3/4 cup egg whites
    1 cup Spinach
    1 Roma tomato
    2 small Portabella mushrooms.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I bought a carton of egg beaters for the same reason, but I haven't tried it yet. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I think I'm afraid of what they'll taste like. Or not taste like.

It's got to be better than the jar of pre-cooked beans, though. Beans were never meant to come in a see-through container. The jar sat on the counter for a couple weeks. My wife and daughter kept asking if I was really going to eat that crap. I said of course I was. Then on trash day I threw them out. I think I got away with it. I haven't heard any complaints about throwing away perfectly good food.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    OP, what do you do with the egg yolks that you're not using? Are you just throwing them out and wasting food?

When I'm in a bit of a calorie crunch, I use 1 whole egg and whatever amount of AllWhites I'm in the mood for. At least I know that the yolks aren't being wasted.

From AllWhites website:
    What do you do with the yolk and the shell?
    The egg yolk is processed and packaged separately and is sold to Foodservice and Food Ingredient customers for use in the manufacturing of other foods. Examples include mayonnaise, salad dressings, baked products and ice cream. The shells are used as a natural fertilizer and provide a good source of minerals for the soil. They are also sold back to the animal feed industry where they are further cleaned and ground and then used as a good source of calcium and other minerals.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

I bought a carton of egg beaters for the same reason, but I haven't tried it yet. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now I think I'm afraid of what they'll taste like. Or not taste like.

theyre good! its mostly egg whites anyway.
    the taste and consistency is great as far as im concerned. i usually use a cup at a time and add cheese and meat or whatever i want. fills me right up and less calories than eggs (if i need to watch it that day).
    throw some sriracha on top and youve got a great meal.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The idea of calling egg whites mixed with an egg yolk 'egg substitute' is too confusing for my tiny mind.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I watch cholesterol too. I have been making egg-white omelettes for a long time. Had one this morning. 4 egg whites, 2 oz. low fat Jimmy Dean sausage, a little ham, some low-fat provolone cheese...yummy. About 300 calories.

Sorry about all the low-fat stuff - I personally eat full fat and watch the portion size, but my wife is doing Weight Watchers and I make her breakfast...so I go with the flow here.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

It's got to be better than the jar of pre-cooked beans, though. Beans were never meant to come in a see-through container. The jar sat on the counter for a couple weeks. My wife and daughter kept asking if I was really going to eat that crap. I said of course I was. Then on trash day I threw them out. I think I got away with it. I haven't heard any complaints about throwing away perfectly good food.

Egg whites are kinda bland, tbh, but a little cheese and some salsa and you're gtg.
  • ellechim1
    Options
    I never meant this to turn into a huge debate! I just wanted to share what has helped me. I can't alway afford to get the egg beaters (3 different dietary needs in our house)
    OP, what do you do with the egg yolks that you're not using? Are you just throwing them out and wasting food?

Nope, I still use them for other things, ex: my son will eat extra egg yoke for breakfast or I make him cakes, and such with any extras.
  • ellechim1
    Options
    Also, I reuse the egg shells by drying them out, grind them to powder and add to my dogs homemade treats.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also, I reuse the egg shells by drying them out, grind them to powder and add to my dogs homemade treats.
    That's pretty impressive :)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I just put them in my compost. LOL!