Protein for Exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    In a rush so I didn't look at your food diary. I don't know how much protein you're getting, but I'm a vegetarian (and for the most part don't eat dairy, maybe 6 eggs a week) and I average about 60g per day (on 1500 calories). Feel free to add me/look at my diary for ideas. Nuts are actually pretty low concentrations of protein. Beans have a lot (without loading you up on the calories).
  • heidifritz627
    heidifritz627 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A can of tuna in water mixed w celery, onions and light mayo, with rice crackers......so filling and lots of protein. Pair that with string cheese...yummmmmm
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Here is a bunch of examples for about 10g of protein (some have been mentionned)

1 oz. of meat, poultry, seafood or fish
    1 extra large egg
    2 flattened Tbsp. of peanut butter
    2 Tbsp. (1/8 cup OR 10-12) nuts
    ¼ cup seeds (except chia)
    ½ cup legumes (e.g. lentils, chick peas, kidney beans…)
    ½ cup of hummus
    1/3 cup tofu
    2 ½ Tbsp dry Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
    ¼ cup fat-free cottage cheese
    1 oz. reduced-fat cheese
    1/3 cup of plain greek yogurt
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the way to go. It's quick, it's convenient, it goes in other things you're already eating, and some of them are pretty darn tasty. If you're into shakes and smoothies, get yourself a basic chocolate or vanilla (or both). Blend with the milk of your choice and some yummy fruit or another mix-in.

Yesterday for example I made a protein shake with a cup of skim milk, a scoop of chocolate whey isolate, and two tablespoons of PB2 (that powdered peanut butter stuff). It tasted just like Reese's! 261 calories, 43g protein. Bam. Would've been extra great with a banana too.

If you're not into shakes and smoothies, protein powder bakes wonderfully in place of flour in recipes (I'm not sure how much you can replace but 50% seems safe). Check around the recipes section and you'll find protein pancakes, protein muffins, protein brownies, etc. I recently bought an unflavored protein powder that I'm going to try in things like bread, soft pretzels and pizza dough too. The best thing about baked goods is that they're made in batches, so you can make it at the beginning of the week and have a brownie every day :)
  • shields1847
    shields1847 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In a rush so I didn't look at your food diary. I don't know how much protein you're getting, but I'm a vegetarian (and for the most part don't eat dairy, maybe 6 eggs a week) and I average about 60g per day (on 1500 calories). Feel free to add me/look at my diary for ideas. Nuts are actually pretty low concentrations of protein. Beans have a lot (without loading you up on the calories).

you'd have to pair rice with beans in order to get complete protein. Beans alone (not soy) are not complete proteins.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you in that I sometimes want to skip lunch because I want to train just after lunch time. Eating much of anything make me feel uncomfortable when training even if I wait an hour. I use protein drinks, the best quality and highest protein amount per gram. I mix chocolate flavour with 300ml of water and good to go. I do this most days as I workout most days. On my rest days I eat chicken, prawn or beef salads. I find I really enjoy the rest days and take more time to enjoy the food.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat lunch--bring things that are easy, maybe that you don't even have to heat up.

Hard boiled eggs (I don't actually like these, but I'm trying. I'll bring two--even today actually--along with 2 packets of Taco Bell sauce, plus some fresh strawberries as a snack.)

Homemade smoothies are way better than the bottled stuff. Sample multiple brands to find one you like. Same with the bottled ones actually. They're not all horrible. (And for adding protein, I'd go with one that more like 25-30g of protein. I think ones like Boost are more like 10-15g.)

Lean meats--they don't have to go on a sandwich. Bring leftovers of meat with steamed veggies. I often even eat these cold. Or put the meat in a salad.

Protein bars-- again some are absolutely delicious, just stick with the high protein varieties for your purpose (like 25-30g per bar)

Yum to full-fat Greek yogurt! I'll often add fruit and nuts, but just some stevia with vanilla or almond extract is awesome!

I've tried to like cottage cheese, but since Greek yogurt is actually a little better for my needs (and I love it), I don't eat cottage cheese. But a lot of people love it and it could help you.

Glass of milk :)

Good luck!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I saute up a bunch of chicken tenders with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder. I put them in baggies in 3 ounce servings and when I need a protein snack, I just grab one and eat it cold. They are great on salads as well. Or you can shred up and add to soup. Anything. An excellent low calorie, cheap and tasty source of protein.:smile:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I just open a can of tuna and eat it with a spoon. It's not the most exciting meal but it's quick, easy to carry around, low-cal, high-protein, blah blah blah.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I always add chicken or tuna to my salads for lunch for added protein (the 80 calorie single serve pouch from Starkist has 16g of protein and there's no need to drain...which helps at work)

I have also started making "protein pancakes" with instant oatmeal, egg whites, protein powder and mashed banana...I usually add blueberries and raspberries for added flavor, but they're good on their own...message me if you want the recipe - its super easy and quick!

Protein bars are also a quick easy snack for when you're on the go
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I am on maintenance. 5'4", 128lb. I usually exercise five times a week, all classes in a variety of strength training and cardio. My nutritionist wants me to eat more protein, which I know I should.

My problem; I have a tendency to skip lunch because I get involved in activities and suddenly it's 4PM. Also, I am so tired of sandwiches I can't see straight. I've been eating big salads on occasion, but that doesn't solve the protein problem.

My nutritionist suggested having a mid-afternoon snack or lunch of Ensure or Boost, but I hate drinking that stuff.

I do eat almonds sometimes.

I'm not an enthusiastic cook.

Does anyone have ideas That I could try to increase my intake?

I personally would not look to nuts as a source for protein.....by my understanding they do not have a complete amino profile for protein.

That being said, sources I go to for protein
    - protein powder
    milk
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    eggs/egg whites
    chicken
    fish
    beef
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Put chicken and/or eggs on your salad.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I like sugar not protein, apparently. This morning I forced myself to put down the sugary *kitten* yogurt, sugary *kitten* cereal and make myself some scrambled eggs and egg whites. I'm not much for cooking in the morning but I don't think you can screw up scrambled eggs if you try. I've been getting by on a high sugar diet for so long this is going to be a real challenge for me.
  • Drew_1971
    Drew_1971 Posts: 1
    Options
    I  have  overcooked  scrambled  eggs  before,,,  it's  not  easy  but  it  is  possible  and  not  very  enjoyable  to  eat!

Drew_1971
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try Tuna on your Salad - it works a treat.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have overcooked scrambled eggs before,,, it's not easy but it is possible and not very enjoyable to eat!

Good thing you "manned" it down anyway! LOL.
  • jessica0rae
    jessica0rae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been enjoying Epic Greek Yogurt + Chia Seeds (17g of protein).

I love this idea!! I've been struggling with upping my protein intake too.
  • 33lions
    33lions Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI
    I would suggest you set your self up for success, Meaning make just a little extra when you do cook and freeze the portions for lunch. My freezer has ready mad meals for lunch or dinner any time. I have bags of pre cut fresh vegetables in the refrigerator so I can literally grab and go and support my self in successful eating. My second suggestion is set a timer and commit to eating lunch it is critical! I see a lot of posts from people saying eat a bigger lunch or dinner that is so wrong on so many levels, your body can not process extra anything, good or bad it will store it as fat and you lose. Try Quinoa it is an old word grain it has per cup 24g of protein and is really very versatile as an ingredient and there are thousands of recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner online. Turkey, yogurt, eggs, beans, broccoli all would be a good sources of protein for lunch and can be premade packaged and stored for use. You could even use a protein supplement but I would say as a last resort. Good luck.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I  have  overcooked  scrambled  eggs  before,,,  it's  not  easy  but  it  is  possible  and  not  very  enjoyable  to  eat!

Drew_1971

in case of overcooking instead of scrambled eggs try scrambled toast
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fr breakfast I have an omelet with 2 eggs and some cheese and 100g chicken. This gets me 53g protein. I also eat 200g 2% cottage cheese at "lunch" with some peaches which nets me another 18g.

To make the omelet easier I precook and cube the chicken and cut up all the veggies over the weekend and freeze. Then all I have to do is weigh out the chicken and throw in a handful of veggies and sauté till soft/not frozen and add eggs and cheese.