Fitness advice!

Options
I have always weighed between 110 to 120 my entire life. I am 19 years old. I have lived with my boyfriend for over a year and have gained almost 60 pounds. I was told about myfitnesspal by a friend and so far I love how it records everything and I have been keeping up with it. I have started eating healthy and feel sooooo much better about myself but my only thing is working out. I have turned into a complete couch potato. I somehow need to find motivation to work out and what are the best physical fitness programs and the ones that will make working out fun! Thank you.

I could also use some advice on how this site works. I got the app for my phone and just found out it is an actual website!

Replies

• Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Start by going for a walk. Round the block, then a little bit further each day! Good luck!
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising and I especially hate the gym. I use the Wii because it is fun and doesnt feel like exercising until the next morning lol. I used to be a couch potato as well. I now burn anywhere from 700 calories per day to 1500.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Walking/running is a great way to start getting used to working out. You can try a workout dvd too, but don't get discouraged if you can't do the entire 30/40 minutes. Do what you can, they try again tomorrow!

Make sure to walk every day, then start walking faster/jogging, it will feel great I swear =)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I hate exercise too, but there's a dance studio not too far from my house that offers a huge selection of classes, as well as fitness classes, and I find I go because I actually love the dancing, but don't mind doing a fitness class or two while I'm there.

If you find something you actually enjoy, like a sport or recreational activity, it'll help you stick to it =)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing, going for short/long walks, dancing around your living room, whatever it is, just find something you enjoy. You don't need to go to a gym, you just need to become more active. A lot of people tend to read way too much into things when it comes to becoming more active. All it takes is simply that, get up and be more active in any way you choose and then once you get used to that you can branch out further and try other things. A lot of people seem to enjoy playing games on the Wii and things, if you have one of those you could try out one of those games. Even just walking up and down in place while watching TV is activity. Just have fun with it.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Find more than one thing that you either enjoy doing or can at least tolerate, and then mix it up so you don't get bored! I did really well with dvd's by The Firm, and stuck with it for a while, then I got bored with doing the same thing over and over and over. So now I have 4-5 things that I can do depending on how much time I have, what I did the day before, and what I am in the mood for. I am working on completing C25K, sometimes I just go for a walk, sometimes I do a DVD, I'm starting to use the Xbox Kinect Your Shape game, and I still do my DVD's sometimes. And when I can arrange it, I play tennis with my sister!

Like someone else said, start slow. Don't push yourself too hard, and don't get frustrated or upset with yourself if you can't finish a DVD or walk/jog for very long. Just do what you can, and increase the time and intensity as your body will allow it. As long as you keep moving and keep trying, you'll get there!
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Walking to start out your workouts is a good start.
    There is a lot of workout DVDs out there now that is good for people that is just starting out.
    Billy Blank Tae Bo is a great one to start out with. They can be under $9:00 and some of his DVDs are easy on beginners, only the advance DVDs can be tough for beginner.
    There are also walking DVDs by Leslie Sansone you can do inside your house, that caters to beginners you can fine under $ 10.00.
    There are a lot of DVDs sold at various stores for beginners that can help you get started towards workouts...
    Hope this helps.

If you want me as a MFP friend to help you with your selections, you can......

Take care........
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michaels work outs.
    30 day Shred
    Yoga Meltdown
    No More Trouble Zones.
    You don't need much to do them
    Just 3 lb hand weights.
    Those are the videos that I started with.
    Good luck in your journey.
    Steph
  • jamieoutlaw
    Options
    thanks everyone for the advice! now there is nothing to it but to do it!