Stuck in the lunch vortex....help!!!

Options
Hey everyone!! Just a pretty simple question for you guys....

I'm insanely tired of having just normal sandwiches for my lunches. I have an office job and rarely any extra money, so I pretty much always bring my lunch with me. But even when I was trying to buy better bread and add toppings to my sandwiches, they still just weren't cutting it. I'm TIRED of them. lol

Anyone out there have any suggestions for other things that are good for lunches, but still stay around 300-400 cals a meal? I'm trying to get back into making myself some salads too, but I can only do so many of those....little cracker sandwiches like Lunchables I wouldn't mind, if there's something a tad healthier.....I'm just kinda stuck. Even a lunch that I just kinda snack on during the lunch hour would be great, but it's hard for me to think of healthy options with that....

So, any suggestions for any good, reasonably low cal, filling lunches?? :) I'd sure appreciate any help I can get!!

Replies

• lilykat282
    Options
    Hey everyone!! Just a pretty simple question for you guys....

I'm insanely tired of having just normal sandwiches for my lunches. I have an office job and rarely any extra money, so I pretty much always bring my lunch with me. But even when I was trying to buy better bread and add toppings to my sandwiches, they still just weren't cutting it. I'm TIRED of them. lol

Anyone out there have any suggestions for other things that are good for lunches, but still stay around 300-400 cals a meal? I'm trying to get back into making myself some salads too, but I can only do so many of those....little cracker sandwiches like Lunchables I wouldn't mind, if there's something a tad healthier.....I'm just kinda stuck. Even a lunch that I just kinda snack on during the lunch hour would be great, but it's hard for me to think of healthy options with that....

So, any suggestions for any good, reasonably low cal, filling lunches?? :) I'd sure appreciate any help I can get!!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I generally create a large dish of something, like say, spaghetti and meat sauce, or chicken noodle casserole, and freeze it in 1 cup containers, so that the portion is exactly what I want; I pop one into the fridge the night before to start thawing, take it to work with me, and by the time it's lunchtime, it only takes one minute to warm in the microwave. Add some kind of fresh veggie to nibble on (pre-peeled baby carrots, or celery sticks).
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have found a few Progresso Light soups theres usually two servings in one can, that are pretty good. I'm not sure if you have a microwave in the office you work in. You could also try flat bread and put some chicken strips in it with some lettuce and vegetables of your choice and add some light ranch dressing. You could also try pita bread (The only place i've found a low cal pita is at walmart) with tuna and some low fat cheese and make a tuna melt. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My lunches are usually something like....

turkey sandwich on light wheat bread with fat free cheese (or without cheese) and light or fat free miracle whip
    fat free chips or low fat chex mix
    side salad

Tuna sandwich (on light wheat bread with FF or light miracle whip)
    something on the side.. low cal.. or fruit

Sometimes I make seafood salad with imitation crab meat, old bay seasoning and fat free or light miracle whip...........

Ham sandwich.... same STUFF on it as above.

Sometimes if i want something hot I'll bring a couple fat free hot dogs....

If I go "out" during my work day I go to Subway, or Chick Fila.. they have really healthy options there. Other fast food places do too sometimes.. but as far as price and QUALITY i prefer subway and chick fila.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Kashi frozen dinners are really tasty...
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    :wink: oh and Lean Cuisine has some pretty tasty ones too..
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I also like to make tuna salad and eat it in a lettuce wrap. Or just by itself with veggies/fruit on the side.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like wraps, they are versitile ( different lunch meats like low fat ham with cheese, roast beef and horse radish, turkey breast and mustard, steakums with peppers and mozarells) and I love cucumbers , so I just peel me one and eat it with different low fat dressings . Hot pockets also has a whole wheat supreme pizza pocket for 220 calories that hits the spot when I am craving pizza. I make my own bread or eat low carb whole wheat beagels, just mix and match and youre not going to get bored too quickly...
    I wish you success
  • klarson
    klarson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A good "snackable" option is low fat string cheese, reduced fat wheat thins, and turkey pepperoni.... i always cut up an apple or peice of fruit to go with it too! It always ends up make me feel full!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Typically I (<-- actually my girlfriend) will over cook for dinner and I just bring the leftovers in for lunch in tupperware. It works pretty well for me, something new for lunch almost everyday.
    When I dont do this, its usually fruit and an english muffin or something.
    You can try to switch in yogurts/cottage cheese?
    While they dont have the best nutritional value, in a pinch I'll grab a chef boyardee bowl from the cupboard here at work (we keep some food on hand for our employees to grab when they need it)
    The bowls are typically between 200-250 calories.
    Another idea is bring cereal in for lunch.
    If you have access to a fridge and cupboard leave milk and cereal.
    Just some suggestions.
    I dont think Ive bought deli meat in close to 4 or 5 months. Its expensive, and not as healthy as say a whole baked ham or turkey (more preservatives)
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I create my own "frozen" meals. I cook several main dishes. Then I pull out a pile of plastic disposable type (I reuse them) containers. I assemble a bunch at once - varying side dishes, etc.

Then I have a variety in my freezer and I can just add fruit and veg and /or other snacks to finish the lunch.

This worked very well when I worked somewhere where I didn't have access to a refrigerator but did have access to a microwave.

~~~

For my children I have a thermos for cold drink, a mini thermos for heated dish (pasta?) and a mini ice pack to keep yogurt cold.

Good luck
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I am also a big fan of leftovers. I make a lot of soups and then take them to work. Have it with crackers or a wrap.

Also wraps- I use a multi grain sprouted wrap and stuff with hummus, spinach and tomatoes (I assemble at work) grapes, apple and almond butter or some almonds.

I also make vegetable and rice curries (with garbonzo beans or a dahl) which are great.

My lunches are bigger than my dinners but I try to eat 4-5 smallish meals a day.
    when I am making dinner I steam veggies to have when I want something more at work.
    Today I didnt bring enough and really want my snack right now!

The cooking ahead of time is really helpful if you can do it!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I have been eating smart ones for the past couple of weeks. I, myself, got tired of my ham and cheese sandwich!!

Good ideas!!!
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Huge salad with chicken breast or tuna.

Deli meats in general are horrible and full of sodium so I stay away from the sandwich thing when I can.
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also like to make tuna salad and eat it in a lettuce wrap. Or just by itself with veggies/fruit on the side.

Oooo! That sounds SO GOOD! I need to get some lettuce and try wraps. I am getting sick and tired or the high sodium in normal wraps.