New: 52, northern California, 30# to lose, need buddies ...

Options
Day 1 on this site, and I'm ready and motivated. I'm so out of shape and unfit, but have plans for walking, hiking, biking and swimming for cardio, plus yoga for stretching/strengthening, and some assorted isometric exercises to get in good shape.

I'm happy to provide mutual encouragement and gentle accountability to any new friends who want to contact me. I live in the Sacramento area.
Catherine

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome! I started when I was 58 and have lost 49 pounds so far. have been maintaining there for six months, but I have another 30 to lose. MFP has been so great for me! I'm in Southern California, used to be in Northern and miss it. and love to hike. I''ll send you a friend request.
  • aaroneous89
    Options
    I'm only 25, but I've grown to know a few people in there late 40's and 50's when I was at the gym before, and honestly, the guy in his late 50's was a brute! His strength ability made me feel like ant under a magnifying glass lol. To look like he does, would be awesome. He told me any day he was there and I was, he'd train with me and help me get into better shape, and to me that's awesome. I'm up for trying to help anyone on here with a question they may have, I'm new to the whole nutrition thing myself, just started my diet a month and 1 day ago, and started walking 3 weeks ago, and I've went from 230 to 215.

So if you are planning on doing any kind of diet, I'm pretty good on that topic, my mom is 64, and she lost 30 pounds in 2 and a half months, (but it was a strict boring diet) but she was committed, and she didn't even exercise like she should have.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been here a while, and had some losses before joining, but I'm at about 30 pounds left to go. Does that count? Also, I'm in Stockton and not Sac (for the moment, I'm job hunting in Sac). Oh, and I'm 42 and a bit...

Well, I'm kinda close to where you are, fitness, age, and geography wise, lol.

I'm here every day, and though my posting frequency waxes and wanes, I do generally take the gentle encouragement route. Admittedly, I do often resort to colorful vernacular and wry, sardonic observations when it comes to my own progress. I'm pretty sure my profile is open, you can look at my commentary and photos and progress and such, and send me a friend request if you think we'd be a good fit as fitness pals.

Either way, good luck!
  • catherineck
    Options
    To Mahanaibu: Wow, kudos for losing the first 49#! What an achievement! And to have kept that weight off for six months, well done! Since you were successful to lose the first time, you will no doubt be able to lose the rest... no matter how long it takes. Keeping the weight off is not easy, and you have proved to yourself that you can do it.... a big high five to you!!
  • i1981star
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here too. Located in Citrus Heights, age 32. I'm looking to lose about 100#. My weight has gotten really out of control since I suddenly lost my dad a couple years ago. Its time to let the weight go, and move on! I'll send you a friend request.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am 54. I started on MFP at the end of July and have lost almost 95 pounds to date. Feel free to add me. I try to be on here every day to log.
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me as a friend. I am 54 and lost 20 pounds and maintained that since last summer, I was happy being a size 12 but now Im ready to lose the rest of the weight. My goal is 123 pounds. I have never been very active so exercise is hard for me. I have been going to the track and walking 1 1/2 miles. My goal is not to walk more miles but to walk at a faster pace. I also need to do some strength training to tighten up. I was worried that I would always have saggy skin due to my age, but my sister who is 3 years older then me went from 160 pounds to 123 pounds and with strength training, she is seeing her arms tone up; so there is hope.
  • namacheri
    namacheri Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm 57, live in Minnesota and am trying to lose 70 to 90 pounds. I've never really dieted or exercised in my life. I started 9 days ago and have lost 7 lbs so far. I walk for exercise 30 minutes a day and think it would be helpful if I learn how to use the Bowflex that sits next to my treadmill and recumbent bike! It would be nice to have some buddies.