How to eat enough of the right foods?

Options
I'm having a hard time meeting my calorie goal with the right foods. With my daily exercise routine I need at least 1,800 per day. I know I can eat a big juicy burger to add these calories in, but that's obviously not the right way to go about it. Any advice?

Replies

• brandnewneek
    brandnewneek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but what I'm seeing is most people are suggesting snacking, and not really, changing too much of what you eat, more changing portion sizes, so if you want a burger you could! I'm finding a lot of the stuff I'm used to eating though could literally take up 80% of my daily calories though!!! So I've been making a lot of changes in food I eat. Looks like you are already doing well congrats on the 12lb lost!!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a burger? It's a portion of animal-based protein with some fat which is pretty normal for protein sources, sandwiched between some carbs. All you need is some fruit and vegetables on the side and you're good to go.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    there are no "right" foods and "wrong" foods.
    Food is food.
    Meet your calorie and macro goal and try your best to meet your micro nutrient goals each day.
    If your fat macros are low for the day….have some cheese or avocado. If your carb macro is low for the day…have a bagel. Same with protein…..scarf a steak if need be.
    it's really not that hard. Food is not good or bad. Food is either more nutrient dense or less nutrient dense.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I had a burger the other night with a big lean beef patty, shortcut bacon, an egg, lettuce, pickles, mustard, tomato sauce and a seeded bun for around 650cals, side of oven fries and YUM! 800 cal meal, happy tummy, all good healthy foods.

Burgers are not wrong!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    eat real food. if you want something (like a burger), fit it in (by planning). stay away from anything labeled "diet" or "fat free" - low-fat is ok (keep the nutrition, skip the extra chemicals). have some things handy you can add in to hit your calories for days when you need help getting to your goal - certain snacks (mini popcorn bags, chocolate, granola-type bars, yogurt, nut butter), glass of wine, add avocado to a sandwich/salad/meal, etc...

i average 1800ish. send a friend request and i will send you a key to peek.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    there are no "right" foods and "wrong" foods.
    Food is food.
    Meet your calorie and macro goal and try your best to meet your micro nutrient goals each day.
    If your fat macros are low for the day….have some cheese or avocado. If your carb macro is low for the day…have a bagel. Same with protein…..scarf a steak if need be.
    it's really not that hard. Food is not good or bad. Food is either more nutrient dense or less nutrient dense.

I think this is really good advice. Also maybe planning your meals and snacks more might help? Having ideas for specific breakfasts/lunches/dinners that have the right number of calories to add up to 1800, or eating a 200-400 calorie snack mid morning. Or try having full fat dairy instead of low fat/no fat.

Lastly, a regular In N Out burger has 390 calories, 16 g protein, 39 g carbs, 19 g fat. I guess it depends on far you are from 1800 calories, but I'd eat a burger!
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys! I know burgers aren't "bad", but It isn't something Id want to eat every day. Ive been snaking constantly, about every two hours or so, but today I still have 100 calories left over and Im about to go to bed. I do really like the whole dairy and whole foods idea! It seems like a good way to get those extra calories in without having to snack so often.
    My food dairy isn't blocked so you can see what I eat on a daily basis.
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    Instead of one egg…eat 2. There's an additional 70 calories. Put 1/2 avocado on top of your chicken or eggs or whatever.

And again…there's really nothing wrong with a burger. Even a burger every day if that's what you like. If it fits your cal and macro goals, it doesn't really matter.

I have ice cream about 4 days a week. I make it fit because I like it that much.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The way I approach it is to plan out each day (more-or-less) first thing (actually while I'm checking my work emails in the morning). I target getting my protein first, then fiber and then jiggle it around until it hits my calories. I don't obsess if one of those 3 things are off slightly.

I don't like snacking so I swap different foods around in my meals depending on whether I need more protein or fiber, and what's in the fridge.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat the burger.

When I am short I come home and crush oreo's into my ice cream and have 8-12 oz of milk- usually gets me around 500 extra calories.

Delicious.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I know I can eat a big juicy burger to add these calories in, but that's obviously not the right way to go about it. Any advice?

Why is that obviously not the right way?
  • Dalton1720
    Options
    I was always under the impression you have to eat healthfully all the time to loose weight, but I suppose if it fits it fits! I'll just use the 80/20 rule. :)
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    I was always under the impression you have to eat healthfully all the time to loose weight, but I suppose if it fits it fits! I'll just use the 80/20 rule. :)

That is incorrect. You eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. you could eat nothing but Pop Tarts….and as long as you ate less calories than you burn in the day, you could lose weight on pop tarts. Now….nobody is reccomeding that.

Food quality has nothing to do with losing scale weight and everything to do with overall health (and body composition).

I, personally, follow an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) style of eating. I have a carb, fat and protein goal each day. All food will fit into one or more of those three macros. You can fill them with whatever you like and as long as you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Dalton1720
    Options
    Then whats all the hype about eating healthy to loose weight? Im sorry I'm just trying to understand this.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The right food: Foods that meat your macro and micro nutrient goals.

Any food can in combination with other foods can meet this requirement. Look at labels, plan ahead and nom nom nom.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Then whats all the hype about eating healthy to loose weight? Im sorry I'm just trying to understand this.
    It depends on what you mean by "healthy" - if you eat lots of foods like fruits and veggies, which are high in nutrition and low(er) in calories, then you can eat more of them and still meet your calorie goals. It takes more work to fit high calorie foods into your diet, but you can fit them in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Most people have a very skewed view of what "healthy" means...in particular they seem to believe that dietary fat is "unhealthy" and should be avoided...in reality, dietary fat is a highly essential macro-nutrient. To boot, there are many wholesome foods like nuts and avocados which are high in fat and calories and extraordinarily nutrient dense and good for you.

Eating "healthy" doesn't mean just fruit and veg...that's only a little part of it....you need fat and you need protein for proper nutrition.
  • Dalton1720
    Options
    I took a look at this tread and it really helped me understand peoples view points on MFP.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267509-why-do-people-seem-to-bash-healthy-eating

I see healthy eating as no processed foods. Like, fruits, veggies, grains, nuts, avocados, lean proteins, eggs, fish.
    I am in no way the perfect clean eater, but I always try and make the better choice.
    I really don't see how people could eat Mcdonalds everyday and feel its okay because it fits into their calorie goals, but thats just me. Everyone has their own opinions and what works for them works for them. (:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Most of the hype you see about "healthy" foods is cooked up by marketing professionals trying to convince you to buy their product over their competitor's because it's "healthier."

I agree that no food is healthy or unhealthy by itself (assuming you have no medical reasons to avoid any particular foods). If you're getting enough fat & protein, eating several servings of fruit and veggies per day, and eating a varied diet to ensure plenty of micronutrients, then a burger or some chocolate cake or chips or whatever is fine as long as you feel good and you're hitting your goals.

It's okay to cut out foods like burgers or candy if you truly want to. But it's not necessary for weight loss or health. You can eat the foods you love in moderation and still be healthy.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Healthy is in terms of overall diet and not individual foods.

http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/