Budget shopping! Ideas please!

Options
Okay, I know this question gets asked a lot and I am sorry but I'm going to ask anyways.

I have $10 to buy groceries and it needs to last me quite a while. I have eggs, potatoes and oatmeal so I'm covered for breakfasts for a while.

What are some ideas of foods I can buy for lunches and dinners? I really want fruits and veggies but I'm not sure which are best to invest in that also give me the most nutrients.

THANKS GUYS! :)

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies can be used in many of the same recipes as fresh (with a little adjustment) and are much cheaper.

Beans are very cheap and nutrient rich and moderately protein rich. You can get an onion, a pepper, and a bag of black beans and make a big batch of it that you can use as a main dish or a side to another dish.

ETA: Bananas are cheap for fruit, but fresh fruit is expensive generally speaking.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How long is a while? You're really gonna have to slum it for 10$.
    Cube steak? Spam, broccoli ? Fruits are pretty expensive so idk if you'd stretch the few you have to include fruit.
    Meal idea cube steak and the potatoes you already have and some broccoli
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    Options
    Bananas!
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Cube steak? Spam, broccoli ? Fruits are pretty expensive so idk if you'd stretch the few you have to include fruit.

I get paid the 6th but even then after bills I'll only have $11 for the month. And my family isn't much help with the healthy eating.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I get paid the 6th but even then after bills I'll only have $11 for the month. And my family isn't much help with the healthy eating.
    you can't live on 11$ a month so I'm sure you'll be eating some of their food. If not his will surely lead to binges. You should eat some of what they have to offer, just limit your intake to your caloric goal
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options

you can't live on 11$ a month so I'm sure you'll be eating some of their food. If not his will surely lead to binges. You should eat some of what they have to offer, just limit your intake to your caloric goal

Oh I know, I just want to figure out some healthy and cheap things to add to those meals. It's just that this is a "take another helping or we assume you're starving yourself" family so it gets a little difficult...