Ladies... And lady time...

Options
Having a hard time finding my happy place. I usually walk 6 miles.. no problem. Today every 5 steps I wanted to burst into tears, or run away. I just cant get my head in the game during this time of the month... Any of yall have advice on how to fight the lady time blues. I made it through the six miles, however I also broke into a war with my boyfriend, tried running away, and just about sat in the middle of the pathway and cried.

...ugh... help!

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    -patpat-

It's okay.
    I cried over BBQ sauce on a burger during "that time" before, I also cried watching the second Transformers movie.

Try to get some really loud music that you absolutely love to give you the boost you need to get out there.
    If necessary, take a camera with you (you can also use your phone if you don't have a camera) and just take random snapshots. Keep collecting pictures of things you find interesting. Just make it interesting for yourself and get it together.
    Only you can give yourself that little push :)

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Help?

Is this your first period?
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    oh girl, days like those are rough. sometimes it would help if I would just not hold it back and let myself cry it all out, because keeping it in and trying to work through it usually just made it worse. not exactly the easiest thing to do if you're out in public and around strangers, but if you were just walking alone with your boyfriend it may have been a good opportunity to let it go.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am much more in control of the situation now that I'm off the pill. That stuff messed up my entire personality and gave me migraines. Now that I'm off that, and especially now that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and on synthroid, I feel more like a human and less like a psychotic dragon every month. It's been nice. :)

Perhaps give non hormonal birth control methods a go for a while. And maybe cut down and just do a nice brisk walk for one day a month.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I like to do high intensity stuff, it calms me right down so I don't murder people.

I figure I'm not actually sick or dying, so I push through, and always feel better afterward. Even mega cramps from hell are eased with some cardio.

I don't know, maybe I'm a sadist or something.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Are you on a pill? When I wasn't on a pill - it was easy to sit around, cry, and eat a whole bag of chocolates. On the pill makes my "time" less painful.

Did you take any pain killers for the pain? That always helps make it go away so I feel motivated to get moving.
    Also, maybe try to do different workouts during that time maybe. Sometimes during that time walking seems tedious and endless. Dancing around is much more fun.

Also, with me personally, eating cleaner building up to "the time" can change how bad my cramps are.. cleaner diet, less pain. Higher sodium, more pain. Drinking lots of water helps me!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I like to do high intensity stuff, it calms me right down so I don't murder people.

I figure I'm not actually sick or dying, so I push through, and always feel better afterward. Even mega cramps from hell are eased with some cardio.

I don't know, maybe I'm a sadist or something.

Nope. It is recommended that women keep active during that time to ease the pain.
    You're doing it right.
  • britt7797
    britt7797 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Haha I think it just helps knowing I'm not alone. I was soo happy when I started and sure enough, some evil got shook up during that walk and I just wasn't havin it anymore... I may also be a little hungry... which never helps anything! I just wish I could do something about these mood swings. I am not on the pill, or anything like that... I think it was a combination of a long day at work, and then trying to get the motivation to go out!

Thanks ya'll for being ladies and understanding!
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've found those intense pms moods have stopped since i quit taking birth control. If i do feel a little grumpy I always eat some chocolate, cuddle with my bf (and a hot water bottle), and watch movies. Always makes me happy :)
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    Britt - yes - it should help knowing that You are not alone. Some people might be on their period and they have to walk alone and have been walking alone and doing things alone for years, etc, so be grateful for what You have.
  • shoelove1
    shoelove1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ZAck said boooobs!!! you did a great job honey. proud of you all the time every day!!! keep on trying its all we can do. you may not see it during that lady time. but we all see it and how awesome you look. You are beautiful honey and you are sooo loved each and every second of every day.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree that intense workouts help with cramps and moodiness.
    Not all periods are created equal. What worked for me when I was a teen has changed.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Whenever I find myself on the verge of tears for no reason, I immediately check the calendar. 99 times out of hundred, yup, it's hormones. Honestly, working out is a big help for me during "those times," but sometimes I just go with the weepy feelings. It's okay to sit outside or in the bathtub (or wherever) and have yourself some weepy time, as long as you don't waste a whole evening/day/weekend on it. Sometimes, when I'm hormonal, I really miss my grandparents and I let myself spend some time remembering them. Even if I start out crying, I always end up smiling later over some good memory. Be gentle with yourself; life can be a hard road sometimes, for all of us. Hope you feel better :)