Hate me today, hate me tomorrow

Options
GC527
GC527 Posts: 272 Member
I am motivated and excited for these changes but I ultimately know that I am my own worst enemy. I battle with confidence and doubt my ability to do anything of value or anything good. How can I get past that and move forward? Most days I can't stand to look in the mirror and I absolutely hate myself. I do not want to feel this way. Has anyone else felt like this?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I am motivated and excited for these changes but I ultimately know that I am my own worst enemy. I battle with confidence and doubt my ability to do anything of value or anything good. How can I get past that and move forward? Most days I can't stand to look in the mirror and I absolutely hate myself. I do not want to feel this way. Has anyone else felt like this?

Every human alive has felt like that. Self-awareness is one of the biggest gifts and biggest curses.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you sought medical attention for this? It sounds like depression.
  • rml_16
    Options

Every human alive has felt like that. Self-awareness is one of the biggest gifts and biggest curses.
    Not really. It isn't normal to feel that way at all.

ETA: Many people DO feel that way. But as I said above, it's called depression. It isn't the way someone feels who isn't depressed.
  • GC527
    GC527 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do have anxiety and depression
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear that and I hope you're seeking help. Those things are treatable. You don't have to feel hopeless or hate yourself.

I guarantee you judge yourself far more harshly than anyone else judges you. You should love yourself!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this myself, on a daily basis.
    The sense of being of no use, having no purpose, and generally, of being worthless.
    Some years it has been better, but this year, it has been the worst ever for me thus far.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Exercise,hydration, plenty of sleep and a normal food intake (not too high or crazy low) help tremendously with depression. They also help with any side-effects you may have from any medication you may be taking.
    I'd get in the habit of checking the 'success stories" to elevate the chemicals that cause "well being" in the brain. Humorous youtube videos will do the same thing! Good luck!
  • jamesolmos
    jamesolmos Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi ~

What changes are you motivated and excited about?
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Both of those things are treatable, I hope that you're seeking help because it's vital to your health.
  • Dallymomma
    Options
    Exercise,hydration, plenty of sleep and a normal food intake (not too high or crazy low) help tremendously with depression. They also help with any side-effects you may have from any medication you may be taking.
    I'd get in the habit of checking the 'success stories" to elevate the chemicals that cause "well being" in the brain. Humorous youtube videos will do the same thing! Good luck!

This ^^
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

I don't know if you mentioned these two words as indication of a medical diagnosis or if by this you mean that you often feel blue and anxious.

But based on your profile and your photo I see you as a very pretty 25 year old woman who's married and has a son. By that alone you've hit the jackpot. Your green eyes are pleasantly wide set and striking. Your hair is thick, long and a pretty reddish color. You're not even obese. You're above average in the looks department overall.

Maybe you're anxious and depressed about other things but re-read my sentence above and count your blessings.

What?

This is the dumbest post I have ever read...
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I don't know if you mentioned these two words as indication of a medical diagnosis or if by this you mean that you often feel blue and anxious.

But based on your profile and your photo I see you as a very pretty 25 year old woman who's married and has a son. By that alone you've hit the jackpot. Your green eyes are pleasantly wide set and striking. Your hair is thick, long and a pretty reddish color. You're not even obese. You're above average in the looks department overall.

Maybe you're anxious and depressed about other things but re-read my sentence above and count your blessings.

What?

Right? As someone with an anxiety disorder, I'm pretty offended. Sorry, folks, but if we don't tell people with lupus to just count their blessings in order to feel better, I'm not sure why we tell people with mental illnesses to try the same techniques. But then, I'm smiling in my profile picture, so I'm obviously too blessed to have any sort of anxiety. :noway:
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options

With respect to the depression, I definitely recommend something like CBT, medication, and the natural remedies that others have suggested like exercise, sunlight, etc. Of your two mental obstacles, I personally think depression is the tougher one, since it's the lethargy and hopelessness that really make it a struggle to stick to day to day activities, let alone lifestyle changes like committing to fitness. Another thing to consider is rewarding yourself for tiny victories. Sometimes, it really is enough that you got out of bed and showered. You don't have to prove anything to anyone.

For the anxiety, over the past couple of years, I've actually found that giving into the anxiety helps. That sounds weird, so I hope I can explain it. I just acknowledge that I'm starting to be anxious, and that any feelings I'm having are due to that, and then I work on dealing with any symptoms. Basically, for me, there are two aspects of my anxiety that tend to feed into each other, the physical symptoms and the mental ones, and if I can at least keep them from feeding into each, then I have an easier time managing their general presence and any attacks. If I start to have physical anxiety symptoms like shakes or heart palpitations, I immediately focus on keeping my brain calm by doing soothing mental activities. (I really enjoy www.thisissand.com or www.weavesilk.com.) Likewise, if I start getting hypervigilant or mentally panicky over anything, I immediately focus my attention on keeping my body calm with deep breaths, a warm bath, a cup of tea, etc. You may have similar experiences where if, for example, your heart gets fluttery, you start to assume you must have 87 different ailments and are on the brink of death, and then your hands start shaking, and then you wonder if you also have Parkinson's or something, and then, and then, and then....so keeping these symptoms isolated from each other really helps me. I hope it can help you.

This doesn't really address how these illnesses relate to your diet and exercise, but I think that's less important than just managing them alone. The fitness stuff will (hopefully) fall into place as these other things settle down and as you're better and better equipped to manage them :flowerforyou:

***This is entirely based on my own experiences with anxiety, and, to a lesser extent, depression; I'm not assuming everyone deals with these disorders the same way I do, and I certainly don't consider myself an expert on managing them. Just my two cents! :heart:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

What?

I think the point being made was that sometimes when people say they are depressed / anxious this is not the result of an actual medical diagnosis but rather their own belief / self diagnosis. People may say "I am feeling depressed" when really it is low mood because the term depressed tends to be used quite loosely and inaccurately. I have heard it said by a poster on here that the way they cured their depression was by having a warm bath...

If it is low mood then this can be helped by "counting your blessings" (or a shift in perspective.) Actual depression and anxiety is a different matter.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you do realize anxiousness and depression have nothing to do with those things right?

You probably only made her feel worse- because I can't tell you how many times I stood there staring at myself telling myself all the good things that I had- and how grateful I was to have them and then be even more upset that I was depressed for no reason and depressed DESPITE all that stuff.

depression isn't something you can just shake off like a bad mood. I realize a lot of people will say "I'm depressed" when they really just mean they are gloomy - but for people who are truly depressed- telling them to shake it off will only make them feel even worse- it's like you KNOW you shouldn't feel that way- and there are people who are way worse off than you- so by default you should be happy- but that's not the way it works.

OP- I always had a list next to my door on a white board listing the things I had in my life that I was grateful for- supportive family- amazing generous friends- a truck a trailer and a horse- a motorcycle and a loving boyfriend, roof over my head- food to eat- and an almost steady job (lulz on that one)
    It was good for me to walk out the door every day when I was leaving the house- and read those to myself and try to pick myself up.

The other thing is go DO something- stop spending time staring at yourself and telling yourself all those things you hate about yourself- it's a vicious cycle- in my dance class I have crippling issues that render me useless for learning- the voice in my head telling me I'll NEVER be able to do X, or Y. And at some point I just have to say Bi*tch... I'm learning- I have fabulous things I need to be doing- leave me alone.

And following up- get sunlight- or a SAD light.

Get plenty of exercise

seek professional help- no really. I put it off for years and I deeply regret doing so.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm really sorry your feeling this way. I'm in no way qualified to even try to help you, but just wanted to chime in and say hello anyway. I hope your situation improves. I see lots of people have commented and are trying their best to help, just know that you can make it threw this! :-)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    2 years into my journey and I still battle myself daily. Like you, I also suffer from anxiety and depression...at times. I have found that working out helps me to overcome these feelings quicker and have bouts/attacks less frequently.

You are worth the effort you invest in yourself.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    We all feel like this sometimes. You gotta learn how to see yourself in a different way. We are worth the time and effort to better ourselves.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

I'd just like to reiterate that you don't have to feel this way! I hope you're seeking active treatment for your depression and anxiety. I'd be happy to talk to you via PM if you want to share your experience, as I've been in treatment since 2011 after battling both severe depression and anxiety since about 2003.

That said, I think anyone going through this sort of lifestyle change is going to have moments of insecurity and frustration, but what has helped me is consciously going through all of the things my body does for me that I'm thankful for. It's really amazing when you think about how, even if you're not the perfect weight or body fat %, your body is an INCREDIBLE machine. Thinking about that really gives me a new respect for my body and encourages me to take better care of it.

Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • greycee67
    greycee67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from depression or anxiety... I am actually a very happy and upbeat person... I love my life, my job and my family... but I don't like what I see in the mirror so I know how hard we can be on ourselves... here are a few things to build your confidence... pick out one or two attributes that you like about yourself and focus on that.. I love my hair.. it is curly and wild and long... I like the fact that I am honest with myself as well as others.. stop looking in the mirror.. at least to judge yourself... Tell yourself how amazing you are and think about some of those things that make you different... I started to volunteer to stop thinking about myself.. makes me put someone else a head of me... that way I feel better as a human in general.. I don't worry as much about my flaws... Hope some of these help...