Need a little bit of advice

Options
Kassidi21
Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
So I am doing Cardio at least 3 days a week using the Zombies! Run! app... And I would like to know what to do on my "off" days to keep losing weight as efficiently as I can... Should I add weight training, or wait until I've lost a little more? Or should I do a different kind of cardio? Or a mix of both? I really am not sure.. I would love to add swimming, but the pool at our gym is under construction until next fall... =P

Replies

• dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Zombie Run includes but I vote you add strength training to your cardio routine. It will help you build and define muscles, which run more calories and make you more shapely. Good luck!
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K every 2nd day and every month I do a different exercise on off days in between. I have just started the 30 Day Shred so will take longer than a month. Last month I did a 30 day challenge (squats & abs) but found that boring and minimal results. Next month I will probably get back on my cross trainer/elliptical. I'm not a big fan of strength training (again get bored) but will get into it when I reach my half way weight loss mark.

I find this keeps things interesting for me, gives me a set routine which I desperately need so I stick with it and allows me to keep improving with the running
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So I am doing Cardio at least 3 days a week using the Zombies! Run! app... And I would like to know what to do on my "off" days to keep losing weight as efficiently as I can... Should I add weight training, or wait until I've lost a little more? Or should I do a different kind of cardio? Or a mix of both? I really am not sure.. I would love to add swimming, but the pool at our gym is under construction until next fall... =P

Adding muscle, among other good things, will have your burning fat even while you're sleeping. .If you have time add weight training before the running. If not add weight training to your routine

Joane Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Heavy weight training or resistance training will provide your best gain. Not only will it help with retaining muscle but it will help maintain your metabolic functions. And don't worry about gaining any new muscle, it's virtually impossible to gain new muscle while in a deficit.
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Zombie Run includes but I vote you add strength training to your cardio routine. It will help you build and define muscles, which run more calories and make you more shapely. Good luck!

I would recommend this too. I just finished my first session of strength training today with my personal trainer. It really helps strengthening muscles that have been at rest for a looooooong time. And I'm also doing cardio. It's good to do cardio every other day and strength training the other days. I told my personal trainer that I didn't want to gain muscles and look like Stallone or anything like that and he told me that I didn't have to worry because this was strength training and not bodybuilding lifting.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would recommend this too. I just finished my first session of strength training today with my personal trainer. It really helps strengthening muscles that have been at rest for a looooooong time. And I'm also doing cardio. It's good to do cardio every other day and strength training the other days. I told my personal trainer that I didn't want to gain muscles and look like Stallone or anything like that and he told me that I didn't have to worry because this was strength training and not bodybuilding lifting.

Even if you were doing body building type training, you wouldn't gain muscle if you weren't eating a surplus of calories. And IIRC Stalone also uses steroids to help his situation. So if you are losing weight, your body is in a catabolic stage which makes it almost impossible to gain new mass (outside of newbie gains); realistically, the purpose of weight training during weight loss is to preserve muscle. When you lose weight, it's not just fat, it's all lean body mass (muscle, bone density, tissue, water, etc..). Protein + resistance training increase the ability to preserve.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K every 2nd day and every month I do a different exercise on off days in between. I have just started the 30 Day Shred so will take longer than a month. Last month I did a 30 day challenge (squats & abs) but found that boring and minimal results. Next month I will probably get back on my cross trainer/elliptical. I'm not a big fan of strength training (again get bored) but will get into it when I reach my half way weight loss mark.

I find this keeps things interesting for me, gives me a set routine which I desperately need so I stick with it and allows me to keep improving with the running

This is a really nice idea - I find I have to have a routine (even so far as actually drawing up a timetable!) so this would help change things up while still committing to my running, Thanks! :-)
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Lift weights! The results are awesome.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You may just have to find the right type of weight training program. It just doesn't have to be the same old program. You can do a crossfit or a bodypump type class or even body weight training. Resistance training is pretty crucial during weight loss to maintain metabolic functions and increase leanness. When you do weight training, you minimize the loss of lean body mass, which makes you maximize fat loss.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Start of mini rant.

IMO, one of the reasons that many women (not all, inb4 I'm a woman and I lift) don't see results from lifting is that they refuse to push themselves to a point of struggle. I've worked out with several women, and one of the most common complaints is "I don't like squats/deadlifts/bench press, it's too hard!"

No way?!?? It's not easy to do?!?!? If it was easy, everyone would look like a figure competitor.

Put in the effort, lift heavy weights for low reps or lighter weights for volume. The last few reps should burn (not hurt) and the last rep should be a struggle to lift. It's not the first 7 reps that build muscle, its 8-9-10 that tear the tissue and stimulate growth.

End of rant.
  • Kassidi21
    Options
    Start of mini rant.

IMO, one of the reasons that many women (not all, inb4 I'm a woman and I lift) don't see results from lifting is that they refuse to push themselves to a point of struggle. I've worked out with several women, and one of the most common complaints is "I don't like squats/deadlifts/bench press, it's too hard!"

No way?!?? It's not easy to do?!?!? If it was easy, everyone would look like a figure competitor.

Put in the effort, lift heavy weights for low reps or lighter weights for volume. The last few reps should burn (not hurt) and the last rep should be a struggle to lift. It's not the first 7 reps that build muscle, its 8-9-10 that tear the tissue and stimulate growth.

End of rant.

Oh it's definitely not that I dont like lifting =P All through high school and my freshman year of college I loved lifting at the gym =) and btw squats are my FAVORITE.. I was just curious as to what was going to maximize my weight loss since I have seen forums on MFP that are kind of contradicting... But this answers a lot for me!! Thanks everyone!!

Now... Are there any lifts you would recommend? I know I've seen squats, bench, and dead lifts on here
  • SillyTree
    SillyTree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As far as what types of lifts I would recommend for you;
    Compound movements
    Use Free Weights first (barbells, dumbbells, and even cables at times)
    Only use machines after your compound movements are done, if necessary.

You could do like a 3 day split based around;
    Bench Press - then pick compound movements that are upper body push, shoulder press, dips, push ups, etc..
    Squat - then pick compound leg movements, like lunges, bench step ups, box jumps etc…
    Deadlift - then pick compound upper body pull movements like barbell rows, curls, lawnmowers, etc...
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post OP. I was trying what to do as well. I run almost everyday becuase I love it but I know I need to work other muscles and I'm just starting out here.

I've been reading about the lifting posts and I'm trying to figure out how to get into it.

In so I can get ideas from people with more experience.
  • Kassidi21
    Options
    that's exactly why i posted =)
  • Kassidi21
    Options
    It may sound silly, but... I am too self conscious right now to go to the "other side"' of the gym... Our cardio equipment is now in the basketball gym (the gym is getting a make over, so the lifting stuff is where the pool was, which has been filled, and the cardio stuff takes up one of the basketball courts) When I went to workout on Thursday I saw all of the guys, and girls, who are super in shape lifting and just went upstairs.. I saw a little room for stretching on the indoor track and did some body weight stuff.. But felt really unaccomplished/disappointed because I had been so ready to lift a little... =/ Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?? =/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You just have to get past your fears and jump right in and lift. We ask start somewhere.
  • Juleejuju
    Juleejuju Posts: 6
    Options
    I say just go for it! Work really hard and let them see you transform yourself over time. You will get all kinds of complements in about six months especially if you work out like an athlete. Read articles and stay inspired. Actually I think I'm going to take my own advice. We can do this.
  • Juleejuju
    Juleejuju Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh my gosh you lost 22 pounds! Congratulations! That is very inspiring. I've just joined a couple of days ago.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body, and what you know, you're comfortable with. I'm a cardio fanatic, in that I can swim, walk, and dance to the cow's come home, as I don't tire easily. Put me with weights, and I'll probably fall asleep with boredom.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It may sound silly, but... I am too self conscious right now to go to the "other side"' of the gym... Our cardio equipment is now in the basketball gym (the gym is getting a make over, so the lifting stuff is where the pool was, which has been filled, and the cardio stuff takes up one of the basketball courts) When I went to workout on Thursday I saw all of the guys, and girls, who are super in shape lifting and just went upstairs.. I saw a little room for stretching on the indoor track and did some body weight stuff.. But felt really unaccomplished/disappointed because I had been so ready to lift a little... =/ Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?? =/

Try not to be intimidated. A very large percentage of people in the gym don't know any more than you. If you can afford a personal trainer, get a good one. If not, you could just hire one for a session or 2 to make a program for you... take good notes... even photos.
    Once you are advised on the exercises that you need to do and the order in which to do them, there are many sources to go to on line and in books to help you with the form and proper execution of the exercises.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group