Stubborn belly fat

Options
Hey there. I would not call myself a novice to the whole weight loss and exercise arena.

I'm hoping i could maybe get some advice on here for a plateau i seem to have hit with my weight loss.

I am currently eating a balanced diet of fat/carbs/protein. I've been eating at a Caloric net deficit of around 20-30% of my BMR (including calories burned from cardio) for a couple months now. I've read a few books on the subject and feel i generally know what im doing. After the first 3 weeks i noticed considerable weight loss. Almost every day i could notice myself losing weight. From weeks 3-5 i noticed i was slightly losing more weight every couple days or so i could tell. but it seems like over the last 2-3 weeks it seems like haven't really seen any sort of improvement. I'm in fairly good shape. I had been doing a weight training and cardio routine about a few months before i decided to restrict calorie consumption and focus more on fat loss. the weight im trying to lose is all in that "spare tire" area. In-between the bottom of my ribs and the top of my pants line.

Is there something else i can try doing to try to knock out that stubborn area? Every single day im eating at a caloric deficit which i know should equate to losing the fat, but i just dont see any changes with that area any longer. Almost like i hit a wall in my weight loss.

I am 6'2. 28 y/o. 212 pounds. I consume right around 2500-2600 calories daily and burn between 700-800 calories in cardio daily, which roughly gives me a net calorie consumption of 1750-1850 daily.

Any advice guys?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would raise your caloric intake and switch up your exercise. Try that for a couple weeks and see what happens.
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Another thing to add... Maybe cut back a little on cardio and add some weight lifting!
  • DannyHolliz
    Options
    Believe it or not I fight is same problem but what helps me maintain is heavy heavy leg workouts. I do 80% of max for deadlifts and squats. Focus on large muscles groups to maximize your best results. I agree too the cardio is good to a point but the heavy weights will burn calories for hours even days on a hard workout and also lowers stress hormones that will allow you to loose those last few pounds. One last thing, remember feed your muscles or this will not work. They need fuel to burn the fat. Good luck.
  • kjhman
    kjhman Posts: 3
    Options
    great. thanks a lot for the tips. I'll try switching up the cardio i'm doing and try incorporating weights again.
  • ashleylynn39
    ashleylynn39 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do a "bikini belly" workout almost everyday... it targets the abs... i'd recommend adding in some calisthenics like plank to work that specific area.. look up core exercises... I've lost inches off my waist/hips!
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Every single day im eating at a caloric deficit which i know should equate to losing the fat, but i just dont see any changes with that area any longer. Almost like i hit a wall in my weight loss.

I am 6'2. 28 y/o. 212 pounds. I consume right around 2500-2600 calories daily and burn between 700-800 calories in cardio daily, which roughly gives me a net calorie consumption of 1750-1850 daily.

Do you see progress in other areas? Or do you only need to lose at your midsection?
    If you still need to lose a little on arms or legs as well, visibility of veins is a good indicator for me to see if I'm still losing even if the scale won't go down.
    Other than that it's still just a matter of being in a deficit, so if you really stopped losing make sure your excercise and food logs are right.

Don't bother with ab excercises. Heavy lifts as others said do help with weight loss and do a better job at training those abs as well :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Belly fat for men is usually the last to go. Continue with calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kjhman
    kjhman Posts: 3
    Options
    Yeah i am noticing weight loss everywhere else really. for some reason its just that midsection that seems to be stubborn. i'm starting a weight training program on monday so hopefully that will speed up the results im looking for.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. really. its very appreciated.
  • havenoenvyonlylove
    havenoenvyonlylove Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been trying a tbsp of coconut oil a day for the last couple days and already can tell the difference...I was expecting it to take a few weeks at least. Some benefits are listed here:

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Sounds almost too good to be true, I'm hoping it will be even more noticeable over the next few weeks :)
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think you may have to continue eating at a deficit until you've lost whatever weight you want to lose then switch to eating a little above maintenance to really build up the muscle to hold your tum in. I am a little underweight but I still have the belly and from research, lifting while eating at a slight surplus seems to be the best answer as for someone like me, who can't lose any more weight but still has the trouble areas what else is there to do.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    There's no way to spot reduce when it comes to weight loss unfortunately...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks without much change means there has been a change...might not be as fast as it was at first but that is normal.

A plateau is not losing any weight or inches in at least 8 weeks...which means you are at maintenance.

There is no special trick here...no need to eat special foods, change up exercise etc if you are losing.

A reasonable calories deficet (with 30lbs to lose 1/2lb - 1lb a week is good), weigh solids, measure liquids, log accurately gets you that weight loss.

For exercise I agree incorporate some heavy lifting in there...get in enough protien to maintain your LBM as best you can.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I've been trying a tbsp of coconut oil a day for the last couple days and already can tell the difference...I was expecting it to take a few weeks at least. Some benefits are listed here:

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Sounds almost too good to be true, I'm hoping it will be even more noticeable over the next few weeks :)
    In a couple of days? The studies site an ounce (which is 2 tbsp) and over a 4-12 week period on obese people losing about 1 inch from their waistlines.
    If you're in calorie deficit, it's NOT just the coconut oil. Not saying that coconut oil isn't a good supplementation to the diet, but fat loss is still going to come down to expenditure of calories vs calories consumed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition