Will a repetitive meal plan hurt my weight loss?!

Options
2»

Replies

• RoyainLA
    RoyainLA Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not asking about AFTER the meal plan =P though I appreciate your concern, I'm asking about something specific in which I wanted more understanding or clarification

When I get to the "NOW WHAT?" part of my journey, I will figure it out. Thank you though, I will keep it all in mind.
    Lack of a proper game plan can lead to failure. Why leave the failure option on the table when you can think ahead.

I understand what you're saying but like I said, that's not how I work. I need to figure this little meal plan out before I worry about the next 20 miles. I will think ahead once I am on the road with this. Not down playing your advice nor am I dismissing it.
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    I'm not asking about AFTER the meal plan =P though I appreciate your concern, I'm asking about something specific in which I wanted more understanding or clarification

When I get to the "NOW WHAT?" part of my journey, I will figure it out. Thank you though, I will keep it all in mind.
    Lack of a proper game plan can lead to failure. Why leave the failure option on the table when you can think ahead.

Out of curiosity- what do you propose I do? Are you saying completely ditch the meal plan? I'm a little confused--you're putting down having a meal plan but not giving any other avenue to take.
  • daweez04
    daweez04 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

So does that mean you are willing to NEVER eat out again? NEVER eat at a friends again? What happens if you have to go on the road?

Eating 5 things won't each you how to eat healthier, trial and error of trying 100s of things will. Learning to adjust your breakfast/lunch if you are going to have a huger dinner at a friends house.

If you are going to use a "plan", I suggest you start subbing stuff in to switch it up.

Also, you mentioned you aren't looking to the "after" part yet. That is a problem, there is no "after" in this crazy journey we are all on. Figure out how to eat now, and you will never have to worry about "Now what?".

To answer your question, no, eating the same thing every day won't hurt it. Calories in, calories out. Body can't suddenly start gathering more calories from a piece of chicken.

But that's not the issue right now. For me, if I keep worrying about 3 weeks out, 2 months out etc etc I never accomplish anything. RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW is just me figuring out this meal plan and what works for me. I totally get what you're saying but for the next two months, nope, don't plan on eating out or eating at a friend's because I really need to stick to something for once. My discipline is lacking and I'm stuck on THIS specific issue solely because I want to prove to myself I can do it. Once I DO it, I will absolutely figure it out. Not saying I haven't read up on different things to ensure I know what I"m doing AFTER but right now, I can't worry about anything outside of this plan otherwise....I know I won't go through with it. Not sure if that makes sense but that's how my brain works.

Eating the same 5 things for right now will help me remain disciplined so that I can practice that discipline in the "real world" while I learn the correct way to manage my eating habits.

:)

Well, different things work for different people, so I wish you luck. But I will tell you, if you are miserable cause you can't have something you want, you are way more likely to give in and give up. Speaking from experience here. Soon as I learned how to have that cheese burger, pizza and wings this wieghtloss things has actually been a breeze.
  • RoyainLA
    Options

Well, different things work for different people, so I wish you luck. But I will tell you, if you are miserable cause you can't have something you want, you are way more likely to give in and give up. Speaking from experience here. Soon as I learned how to have that cheese burger, pizza and wings this wieghtloss things has actually been a breeze.

I'm sure once I get where I feel comfortable doing that, I'm sure it'll be a LOT easier!! But giving me that leeway....yeah, there's no coming back. BUT!!! I will tell you, I have found ways to add pizza and wings into my diet by lessening my calories throughout the day/week...it's planned delicious foods but at least I get them? I just need to discipline myself first, is all : )

What is your method? Do you just count calories or...?
  • daweez04
    Options

Out of curiosity- what do you propose I do? Are you saying completely ditch the meal plan? I'm a little confused--you're putting down having a meal plan but not giving any other avenue to take.

Use it as a starting guide if ti helps. But start planning your own meals out the day before here on MFP calorie tracker. Start seeing how you can maneuver things so what you enjoy can be fit in. Maybe keep breakfast/lunch the same, but use your own stuff for dinner. Maybe steal some calories from lunch (cut out something small) so you can indulge at little later.

I know you mentioned this makes it "easy". Well, "easy" is how we put on those pounds, time to change the idea that the easy way out is the best way!
  • ashleyjohnstonn1
    ashleyjohnstonn1 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm similar.

I don't follow a set meal plan. I feel that being too strict sets myself up for failure.

These are my basic guidelines/rules/thoughts:
    1. Whenever possible, substitute something healthier for something unhealthy. (whole wheat toast instead of sourdough toast, plain nonfat greek yogurt in a recipe instead of sour cream, lowfat cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese)

2. Eat appropriate portions. Instead of eating a bagel with a ton of full fat cream cheese, I eat half a bagel scooped out with a little bit of lowfat cream cheese, and then have some fruit to replace the other side of the bagel I would've eaten before.

3. When I want to eat something, I eat it. I figure if I was eating ****ty 7 days a week before, going out to dinner and enjoying myself or eating those fries from the fast food restaurant aren't going to hurt me. I just get the small instead of the large. I think of it as a treat, not as something that should be a staple in my diet. Even if you eat ****ty one day a week, you will be fine. Jillian Michaels even says eat well 80% of the time, and don't worry about the other 20%.

4. If I am going to eat badly that day, I must exercise extra hard and extra long. I always keep this in mind when trying to decide if I am going to eat something less than healthful.

If you're too hard on yourself it will be too hard to stick to it. You're looking for a life change, something sustainable for the rest of your life. If you don't indulge throughout the process, it will be way too difficult and it most certainly won't be something that you'll be able to keep up forever.

Edit: It bleeped out my S word... I forgot it was a bad word :( haha
  • daweez04
    Options

I'm sure once I get where I feel comfortable doing that, I'm sure it'll be a LOT easier!! But giving me that leeway....yeah, there's no coming back. BUT!!! I will tell you, I have found ways to add pizza and wings into my diet by lessening my calories throughout the day/week...it's planned delicious foods but at least I get them? I just need to discipline myself first, is all : )

What is your method? Do you just count calories or...?

Yep, calories in, calories out. I mostly try to hit my protein goal for the day, and carbs/fat just kind of fall into place for me. Sometimes they are higher/lower. But mostly make sure I hit my Calorie and protein goals.

Just because of ease/time my breakfast is the same 90% of the time (weekends when I have time I make other stuff). I make a breakfast smoothie that makes it easy to hit my macros the rest of the day. It is chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie, like having desert every morning but super healthy. And yes, I could easily eat it for the rest of my life, lol.

Lunch is another one that I rotate a few things unless I go out with co-workers. Again, just because ease of making my lunch in the morning.

Dinner is where I go hog wild. I have plenty of time to cook in the evenings, so I switch it up, a lot. Pizza, burgers, steak, chicken, you name it.

That it why I mentioned maybe keeping lunch/breakfast the same and work on dinner. Or work on whatever meal you have the most time with.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think I basically eat the same thing every day. If I go out somewhere, I usually bring my snacks with me.

If it's a weekend or I have a visitor and something unexpected happens, I'll definitely replace a higher calorie meal with whatever I usually eat, but I always track my calories so I always know if I'm above/below for the week and can correct with exercise and eating right.

I really enjoy eating the same things every day...
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    OP, looking at the meal plan she seems to increase protein and decrease fat as the weeks go by. It seems like a yummy meal plan and like everyone has said it looks like a good start for you to get an idea of what to eat.

I'd like to read more about it, could you post a link? (Sorry if you already have I scanned through and couldn't see one)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No, I eat the same things constantly and have been for years. It made no effect on losing the weight.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Eating the same things over and over like in those plans you showed is not going to hurt your loss at all. If you like having meal plans, then use them, don't let someone push you away from them, some people do better when everything is strictly planned out. Just whenever you get confidence and used to everything, maybe even a few months down the line, try adding/substituting things in here and there up to the calorie goal, till you get the hang of it.

I eat a wide variety of things, but I'm always thinking of approximate calories when I'm cutting so I can plan about how much I should eat for meals. I find several general rules help a lot when doing this: avoiding processed foods as much as possible, those with added sugar, reducing breads/carb foods, reducing non main ingredient carbs and fats if possible (like a reduced rice portion or amount of oil or butter), increasing protein intake and no sodas. If I want something with the above, I just work it in, adjust what else I eat, and don't eat it every meal. Its really pretty simple and you can eat some of whatever you'd like. I've had one meal with 7 pieces of thick peppered bacon every day this week, and I'm still losing as planned.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you unlike a lot of people in this thread. When you focus too far in to the future you start to freak out and nothing gets accomplished. Based on the meal plan I think it is a great start to get you on the right track for weight loss providing that you remain at a calorie deficit. Over time you will have to learn about calorie counting and getting in the right nutrients for your body. The only way to lose weight and keep it off in the long term is to persevere, keep doing what your doing and adjust as you go along.

Will a repetitive meal plan hurt my weight loss?! No but it will get boring.
  • HJO1403
    HJO1403 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Monday to Thursday + Saturday & Sunday I my eating is extremely repetitive but its all good so I think you'd be fine doing it over again. Just watch if you up your exercise you might need more food etc..
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    Eating the same things over and over like in those plans you showed is not going to hurt your loss at all. If you like having meal plans, then use them, don't let someone push you away from them, some people do better when everything is strictly planned out. Just whenever you get confidence and used to everything, maybe even a few months down the line, try adding/substituting things in here and there up to the calorie goal, till you get the hang of it.

I eat a wide variety of things, but I'm always thinking of approximate calories when I'm cutting so I can plan about how much I should eat for meals. I find several general rules help a lot when doing this: avoiding processed foods as much as possible, those with added sugar, reducing breads/carb foods, reducing non main ingredient carbs and fats if possible (like a reduced rice portion or amount of oil or butter), increasing protein intake and no sodas. If I want something with the above, I just work it in, adjust what else I eat, and don't eat it every meal. Its really pretty simple and you can eat some of whatever you'd like. I've had one meal with 7 pieces of thick peppered bacon every day this week, and I'm still losing as planned.

Thank you! That's exactly what I want to do- get used to it and build my confidence in knowing exactly what to do "on my own" as I shy away from meal plans!!!

MMMMMM BACON
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    I actually agree with you unlike a lot of people in this thread. When you focus too far in to the future you start to freak out and nothing gets accomplished. Based on the meal plan I think it is a great start to get you on the right track for weight loss providing that you remain at a calorie deficit. Over time you will have to learn about calorie counting and getting in the right nutrients for your body. The only way to lose weight and keep it off in the long term is to persevere, keep doing what your doing and adjust as you go along.

Will a repetitive meal plan hurt my weight loss?! No but it will get boring.

This is my plan! I WILL learn! Just gotta get a good foundation first!! THank you!
  • RoyainLA
    Options
    Monday to Thursday + Saturday & Sunday I my eating is extremely repetitive but its all good so I think you'd be fine doing it over again. Just watch if you up your exercise you might need more food etc..

Do I HAVE to up my intake with more exercise? I kinda don't want to...I'd rather burn more without eating more....is that bad? Lol
  • RoyainLA
    Options

Yep, calories in, calories out. I mostly try to hit my protein goal for the day, and carbs/fat just kind of fall into place for me. Sometimes they are higher/lower. But mostly make sure I hit my Calorie and protein goals.

Just because of ease/time my breakfast is the same 90% of the time (weekends when I have time I make other stuff). I make a breakfast smoothie that makes it easy to hit my macros the rest of the day. It is chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie, like having desert every morning but super healthy. And yes, I could easily eat it for the rest of my life, lol.

Lunch is another one that I rotate a few things unless I go out with co-workers. Again, just because ease of making my lunch in the morning.

Dinner is where I go hog wild. I have plenty of time to cook in the evenings, so I switch it up, a lot. Pizza, burgers, steak, chicken, you name it.

That it why I mentioned maybe keeping lunch/breakfast the same and work on dinner. Or work on whatever meal you have the most time with.

I think after this first, then second round, this will be my next attempt. Moving things around and getting exactly what I want into my diet....well, not EXACTLY bc then I would be in the same place I am now =}
  • HJO1403
    HJO1403 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Upping your exercise without the food intake is creating a greater calorie deficit which will push for weight loss, just ensure you are eating enough to be able to be fueled for the day.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see the other replies you get to this. I tend to eat the same things all the time too, with a slight variation in my meat and snacks. I've been losing so far, but I'm afraid I may end up stalled eventually, and may have to switch my foods around a bit.

That's my fear! I've only been on this for 3 weeks and I feel I am already stalling! But I also tend to think nothing is changing when my clothes are telling me otherwise....I'm nuts :laugh:

It seems that you're a bit impatient (aren't we all?!) and expecting to see results too soon. You might benefit from working with an actual person instead of a cookie cutter program you found online. Some of us do better with that sort of plan or accountability in place, but the quick fix plans rarely provide what you really need.

I do online coaching, if you're interested. :)