Addiction Help

Options
Sorry, I know this isn't in the right folder I just was unsure which folder to put it in... I am having an issue and I need help.

My name is Silver, I am 21 years old. Addiction problems are very high in both my mom and my dad's side of the family (at least pretty sure, my dad had a bad addiction problem, but he was adopted so we don't actually know)... that being said I of course have issues as well.. which is why I scarcely scarcely drink alcohol and have never touched a "hardcore" drug in my life. However though I've been keeping away from those things I have bad issues with addictions to other things.. I have mental health issues (things like depression, personality disorder, etc) and have over the past 11 years shown my addiction problems through different means of harming myself. I've fallen off that path though (with a LOT of help) and have been addiction free from ANYTHING for 4 months (okay.. one or two slip ups). But last week was a HORRID week for me.. it started with me getting REALLY sick and STILL having to work because there was no one to replace me.. went to my 12 year old dog I've had since she was 4 passing.. and ended with my best friend going to the hospital because she has a liver infection because her gal bladder stopped working.. and I think I somehow got it in my head that instead of doing -fill in harmful behavior here- I would instead suck on a lozenge every time I needed a distraction. I was sick and had a sore throat and it helped keep my mouth busy so it was a win win.. however now that I am not sick anymore I still am sucking them down like crazy... and I've been feeling sick whenever I do... I looked at the back of the package (the brand is Luden's) and I don't see any medicine in it, but I'm feeling sick.. and even if I wasn't feeling sick from that I'm still worried I'll move onto a different type of cough drop that has medicine in it...

So I guess my long explanation was all for me asking if anyone has a way to help stop this before it becomes a problem? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to a hard candy and away from the lozenge? Then trade down to something else? Chew a pen? Suck on something non-food related? It seems like it's the oral fixation that might be the thing rather than the specific lozenge...
  • InnerInsanity
    InnerInsanity Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you know of a good candy that won't make me filled with guilt for sucking on a bag or so in a few short days? I think I'm guilt free with this because it's "medicine". But I know if I switch to lemonheads (my favorite candy in the world) or something I'll feel incredibly guilty.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you know of a good candy that won't make me filled with guilt for sucking on a bag or so in a few short days? I think I'm guilt free with this because it's "medicine". But I know if I switch to lemonheads (my favorite candy in the world) or something I'll feel incredibly guilty.

Maybe something stronger flavoured so you might get a bit sick of them? Strong peppermint or aniseed... I know that a lot of it is the way you think about it, but the lozenges probably aren't much better than hard candy.

Do not go sugar free, though, unless you want to spend all day on the toilet!
  • Malimaz
    Malimaz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say try sugar free life savors and wean yourself off those slowly. You are most likely feeling sick as you may be comsuming more than the recommended couh drops. I would also assume your new found addiction is more a habitual action, you can cube come carrots or other fruit or veg that does well standing by and when you get that urge pop one in. It should satisfy you the same if if the matter is habitual tendency.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Would gum work? Or maybe something like sipping at some flavoured water, diet soda, something like that?

I have an issue where I just keep moving my hand from food to mouth. I started by changing what I was picking up and eating (so from cookies to veggies) but now I feell like it's not the content that's the issue, it's the habit so I'm weaning myself off. I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it addictive behaviour but even now I want something to nibble on, to pick at or graze on while I'm at my desk. I'm not hungry at all. I just feel unsettled that I don't have anything.

I'd suggest for a while just substituting more benign things. Then you can dial down the frequency so that you're more able to tail off.
  • saunca
    saunca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree! Definitely do not go sugar free if you'll be going through a bag every day or two. The artificial sugar (aspartame, Splenda, etc) will give you terrible diarrhea.

If it's the feeling of having to have something hard in your mouth to chew on, could you try ice cubes? You could even freeze juices or flavored water in icecube trays. I guess this would only work while you're at home though. Just a thought...
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think you should seek out therapy or professional help to assist you with controlling your compulsions.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Switch to the lemonade candy. If you love them, that is a good enough reason.

Work out how many calories you can eat of them in a day. No.

Eat what you need to eat. and then work out afterwards how much that was. Boiled lollies aren't that bad really.

And go onto maintenance calories. save feelings of guilt for moral crimes, save feelings of fear for psychos brandishing machetes. The only way your bad family can have an effect upon you is if you think it can: because all their problems are in their minds. Addiction is a mental issue, a maturational issue, and an understanding issue - coupled with physical addiction to a poisonous chemical (always poisonous. Alcohol and nicotine, and other highs are all poisonous.)

learn to be kind to your body, and roll with the punches, and sail with the wind and all that jazz. you've had a bad upbringing but that doesn't mean you can't surmount it, and be kind, and generous, and wise - to yourself first and foremost, so that you have an idea of how to be kindest to others.

:D
    Your time of stress and need will end and the lollies, because they are not chemically addictive, will slowly peter out. Trust the process.

and have some perspective, too. Eating those lemonade candies is 1000 times better than the alternative you've been thinking about isn't it! Go buy the lemonade lollies and enjoy every single suck of one. :) It'll do you good.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I agree! Definitely do not go sugar free if you'll be going through a bag every day or two. The artificial sugar (aspartame, Splenda, etc) will give you terrible diarrhea.

If it's the feeling of having to have something hard in your mouth to chew on, could you try ice cubes? You could even freeze juices or flavored water in icecube trays. I guess this would only work while you're at home though. Just a thought...

I agree with this. The sugar free candies will upset your stomach if you eat very many.

I understand about the oral part. I'm an ex-smoker.

Here are 3 suggestions:
    (1) Buy two beautiful water bottles (BPA-free plastic). You can get them in lime green and other colors at drugstores and grocery stores. The beautiful part is important because it gives you something to look forward to. Also, while you're in the store, buy a long brush to clean them. Fill them with filtered water and lemon slices. Keep one in the fridge and the other one with you and sip on it throughout the day.
    (2) When you are going crazy and think you need to eat something, do 10 push ups.
    (3) Wait a few minutes and the craving will go away -- always.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge, tell yourself to wait 15min. If you still want it after 15min then go ahead. The next time you feel the urge again wait 15min, if after 15min you still want it remind yourself that you just had one and ask yourself "do I really need it?, if yes why?". To overcome addiction, you have to be aware that at that moment of urge you have an addiction problem. It's not a "need" and that you can overcome it.
    The lozenges are a coping mechanism that you do to sooth yourself because certain things/emotion/smell etc triggered it. Start a journal of sorts of when you want lozenges. If you can spot the triggers you might be able to work around it or better manage it.
    If you can seek professional help. They can help you sort things out or at a minimum give you tools to.deal with anxieties.You might have a checmical imbalance that could be treated as well.
    Good luck and stay strong. You will surprise yourself at how.strong you can be if you are more self aware.