My period has me STARVING!

Options
The week before my period wreaks havoc on my eating habits. Yesterday, I came home and ate about 650 extra calories. Today, I tried to workout until I reached 650 calories and not eat them back. I know this is NOT a good idea, but it's not something I do often--check my diary.

Despite eating about 1500 calories today--which I normally get by on no problem--I am STARVING. Should I allow my body to eat more before my period? Between the extra eating and the bloating, half of me wants to starve myself, and the other half wants to eat everything that isn't bolted down. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, the last time I had my period was about 3 years ago (I'm 23 y/o). It's normal for you to be hungrier on your period
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I get like that, too. I just deal with the extra hunger.
  • summerlovely91
    summerlovely91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that your metabolism is a little faster during the first few days of your periods. So try to limit it but also realize it isnt a train smash if you dont
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I totally get like this. Usually I just go a little crazy on fruit - sometimes having my 7 or 8 a day.. Crazy fruit lady here :indifferent: but it seems to help me avoid pigging out, find a snack you love (fruit, popcorn, dried fruit, nuts, frozen yogurt, jelly, protein bars, whatever) and allow yourself more than usual. :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with planning a few more calories for when you notice you need it :smile:
  • apple_cakes
    apple_cakes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be if you're really feeling like you need more food, do a few days on maintenance calories instead so you won't gain but will still get the extra calories. When you're on your period your body needs extra nutrients so craves more food, This article explains it better and tells you what foods you can try instead, it may not work but is worth a try! http://www.nutritionist-resource.org.uk/nutritionist-articles/what-foods-give-a-menstruating-woman-energy
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oh wow don't get me started.. I almost always eat at my maintenance the week before period. If you are not in a hurry, it may be a viable strategy to just eat at your maintenance, this way even though you won't be losing, you won't sabotage your previous losses.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think it's progesterone that makes women hungrier just before their periods. I think eating at maintenance is a great idea. Do the best you can, it's all you can do anyway. :smile: You can try to focus on highly satiating foods too, but I think sometimes, hormones make you feel hungry no matter what you do.
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How do I tell if I'm eating at maintenance? Do I just go by the 5 week projection?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Click on "My home" and then "Goals." There is a "projected calorie burn for normal daily activity." That's MFP's estimate of your maintenance (before any exercise calories you may earn.)